Photos of our cars V2.0. ALL welcome!. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Photos of our cars V2.0. ALL welcome!. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents, when I started the "Photos of our cars" thread in the Shadow section, I was a mere boy and in my enthusiasm for the model, overlooked this spot, which looks after everyone.

Without further ado, here again is SRH16373 in Regency Bronze, doing what she does well- cruising the highways and looking great.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 19:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Almost forgot an engine pic.
Yes, I've fitted a coolant level dust boot since!.
Everything is clean and organised- I can do all routine stuff without being covered in grease.
Radiator, viscous clutch, water pump, belts, alternator, starter, carbs, whole ignition and aircond systems have been recently replaced or recond. I love the comfort of being able to hop in, turn the key, relax and enjoy a 2000km road trip without batting an eyelid.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents what can I say.

Nick,
Great stuff getting this up and running again.

Your car is truly magnificent mate and a real credit to a great young man that you obviously are.
It is very satisfying hearing about how hands on you are mate, well done.
The engine bay looks amazing.

2000k's without batting an eyelid?
That's awesome!
But I bet the wallet is scared after a few visits to the bowser

Michael,
Your Bentley looks amazing. Is that colour "oyster"?
Great spot at the back of the car for a bit of R&R

Omar,
What can I say.
Fantastic desert shots of your beautiful fleet.

The drop head Bentley is to die for.
Love the colour, love the car, love the photo.

Really nice work mate.

However I would like to see some more shots of the green SSII

Richard Gray
New User
Username: mooney1el

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is my 1952 Bentley MK VI, B284PV.

Richard Gray
Fernandina Beach, FL

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LOVE Maryann Richard.

What a pretty car. A real credit to you.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 986
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 12:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some new images of my car I have never posted before.

In the line up at my sons work

My son turns it into a gangster car.

A cruise shot to contrast Nick's highway shot

Thank you for looking

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 14:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

What do you use to keep the whitewall on your tyres white?

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 504
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 15:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick...
Thanks for starting another thread as the prior was getting to be a long load due to all the images. Same will happen here, no doubt.
Here is another from my "Pre-War" collection. A 1929 Springfield Phantom I by Brewster...the "Trouville de Ville"...this one with spectacular custom Marquetry woodwork and Gorham silver fittings...allegedly purchased by the Studio for empressario Florenz Ziegfeld of the "Ziegfeld Follies" fame and his wife Bille Burke...best known from The Wizard of OZ as the Good Witch of the North...and was their daily driver...before his death in 1932. Back when I was still chasing the ladies, it was my favorite "Sunday Picnic" conveyance. Still runs strong and cruises at 70mph.

1929 Springfield Phantom I Chassis S426MR

Geoff...
Here's the scoop on cleaning from the Diamondback Tires website:
"One of the first things you will notice is that Diamond Back Classics are extremely easy to clean. Most whitewalls turn dingy or yellow because of the leaching of chemicals (mostly anti-oxidants) into the white material. Because our process uses a butyl lining to stop chemical leeching, you only have to clean the surface dirt. We recommend frequent cleanings with an abrasive cleaning pad. A fine or medium sanding sponge works well. These are available at most hardware stores."
"Any good cleaner works OK - Castrol Super Clean, 409, Simple Green, Greased Lightning - just to name a few. Avoid cleaners that contain bleach. Prolonged use of these cleaners can “dry” the whitewall surface. Do not use products such as Armor All on whitewall. This could cause slight discoloration. Whitewall surfaces tend to “dry” with time, heat, ozone, etc. A vigorous cleaning periodically will get rid of the dry surface and help maintain the tire’s beauty. Don’t be afraid to scrub."

I use simple green and scrub pad, but as noted, avoid bleach.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 16:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian

Thanks for the info. I note however they are referring to their tires and point out that "most whitewalls turn dingy or yellow because of the leaching of chemicals (mostly anti-oxidants) into the white material." This is bound to include my tires (lol).

I will try simple green and a scrub pad and see if I can bring back the brilliant white color. If not I may try looking for some white tire paint, if such a thing exists.

BTW - Love those Phantoms.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 987
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,
The only thing that dirties my tyres is brake dust and road grime.
I give my tyres a liberal coating of silicon which I rub on with a reg not sprayed.
Once a fortnight, I give them a clean off with a clean rag, and all the dust is collected on the silicon coating, thus leaving the tyres & white walls spotless.

I do my tyres and paint from top to bottom every fortnight.

It's easier to keep it clean and shiny this way, rather than trying to bring it back when it has gone off to far.

It takes me literally 15 minutes a fortnight, and you already know what I use on the paint.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 17:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,
Another magnificent car.
Wow and WOW!!!

A fantastic shape and a real classic Rolls Royce.

Congrats mate.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 18:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Absolutely beautiful. I can't get enough of seeing the older Rollers and Bentleys' I may never own one that old but it's nice to dream.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 19:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick
No it's graphite grey (tinge of green)and you make me jealous with your beautiful weather,
Omar you make me jealous with your fleet! and your beautiful weather!!
Anybody got pictures of their cars in the rain to make me feel better lol.
Roll on next week when I get to the land of Oz
Mike

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 20:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,
It's a really nice colour, it suits it very well.
I'm sorry I don't have any bad weather pics to share.

But don't be to jealous, we are heading for 43 degC (109.4 degF) this weekend

I was driving the Shadow all weekend last week and it was around 40 deg C. Laser thermometer showed the thermostat housing consistently around 83 degC. Very happy with that.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2017 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Michael,
The weather is most unusual here today - rain and lots of wind!!!

I have not included photos of 3 more of my cars because they are still being worked on and they look undignified at the moment. The minute they are ready I will post their photos.
Thanks
Omar

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 00:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christisn,

Do you have any pics of the Gorham Silver fittings. I might know where all the old dies and fixtures are. It is possible the fittings were handmade one-offs, but it's as likely they at keast had patterns.

It's a lot to look through so it might be a while, but it's worth a look.

Was that a Springfield car?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 993
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar.

We will wait patiently for the last 3 car pics

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

What year/model is 5263? I love coupes and that one is gorgeous. And what about the convertible, what year/model is that one? I wonder because the only think I like more than coupes are convertibles.
--
John

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John,
Thanks mate.
The coupe and convertible are both 5263. As was the Turbo RL. They just had different letters in front of them. The two cars are both 96 manufacture, 97 model year. They are both American spec cars.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 17:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like John Omar,

I'm a sucker for a coup but love convertibles, or drop head coups as the poms like to call them.

Your DHC is stunningly beautiful mate.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome pics gents.

Pat- love the shine on your Shadow, it really jumps out. You mentioned you use Mr Sheen?. I use Meguires and am pretty happy with the results. The carpark pic raised a smile- "boring, boring, boring, boring.....ah, now THAT'S more like it!"
You're not wrong about petrol- those servos, they see me coming!.

Omar- awesome fleet of Crewe machines, they all look in superb condition. I chuckled when Vlad compared your collection to Jay Leno's!. You're a fan and owner of Cadillacs too?.

Christian and Richard- beautiful machines. I have a true soft spot for the early era, where F Royce's influence was still truly felt. If only my bank balance allowed the luxury!. My ultimate fave is the Cloud III- around $90K for a true example in Aust. I'll have to be content with dreaming....

Michael- beautiful Bentley. When shopping for a Shadow, I made the Turbo R my next choice. Seeing machines like yours often makes me wish I swung that way.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2017 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thnaks Nick.
Yes I like Cadillacs too.
I have two 59 6 window sedans, a 57 Coupe and a 76 Convertible. I have just bought a 94 Deville to take all the running gear and transplant it into one of the 59s. I will then have a modern car to use as a daily driver.
Thanks
Omar

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 04:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was always a great fan of Springfield Ghosts and Phantoms. Their styling is just miles ahead of the British, sorry to say that.
I only could afford a 20/25 HP with Mulliners of Birmingham bodywork, see below.
When I was contemplating to restore GZU7 I also evaluated a swap for a St Andrews Ph I, but I simply hat not enough space behind the steering wheel with my 183 cm. So I then decided to resurrect GZU7, as she was even by then a part of the family. Meanwhile I care for GZU7 for over 47 years.

A sleek Sports Sedan she is

Russian Blue Scottish Muirhead leather and light gray West Of England trim

A nice rear can also be enchanting

She is no trailer queen, but used to travel across Europe

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,
What a beautiful example of a 20/25!!!

Magnificent, powerful and elegant all rolled into one.

The roofline is fantastic, love the shape.
Yes, sometimes there is nothing better than a good rear end.

The interior colour is stunning.

Do you have any images of what is inside the travel truck?

Thank you for sharing.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I have used good, old-fashioned steel wool soap pads to clean whitewalls on every car I've had that has them for decades now. You're never going to wear through the material though you'll see by the color of the soap and water as you do this that you are taking the surface layer off.

Brian, who will need to dig out some photos of SRH33576

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good advice Brian,

I'm looking forward to seeing more images of your beautiful Shadow.
It was one of my firm favourites, from Nick's last photos of our cars post.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

2007 - Atop the Moki Dugway

Moki Dugway

2013 at Cobble Hill Farm

Front wheels turned

Front three-quarter view

Front wheels straight

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian. Great Pics - I can see what you mean about the whitewalls.

Your last pic is what other drivers see in their rear view mirror. Great sight. I only experienced it once when the previous owner followed me to my house, having just sold the car to me.

Geoff

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 687
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very exclusive looking car Brian, love the colour.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian,

As Vlad said, love the colour.

Stunning looking machine.
Yes,
Love those front end shots.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Don't tell anyone, but that's not the original color nor even a Crewe color. One of the previous custodians converted her from RHD to LHD and repainted from the original Walnut to this shade of cranberry, which is a Range Rover color, if memory serves (I've still got the remainder of the can of paint from the body shop after damage to the car on the tour coming home from which the Moki Dugway was driven up). It was one of the things that attracted me to the car in the first place. Walnut brown would not have.

Here's the result of the encounter with a deer in the Utah desert on the second day of the tour:

Deer Damage

Note the tuft of hair

Deer damage closeup

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 508
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross...
Here are views of the Gorham fittings and the Marquetry wood. Since fittings and mascots for high end automobiles were a product line for Gorham in the 20s and 30s, I would suspect that these fittings were a standard, if elegant, catalog item rather than custom made. They are considerably tarnished. When I acquired the Phantom 20 years ago, they were nicely polished and while typically one is not supposed to remove "patina", I do not see what purpose it serves, it returns in ten years or so, and the fittings sparkle much better without it. The ends of the window cranks are some sort of stone and the door latch is probably bone, rather than ivory.

Gorham Fittings

Gorham Fittings 2

Oh, and yes, Springfield built (RR of America, Springfield, Massachusetts), LHD, Trouville body by Barker.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazing timber work and fittings Christian.

Thanks for posting.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

That's a horrible looking dent.
The deer must have felt like it was hit by a sledge hammer.

She all fixed now?

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 689
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 11:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let me get this right Brian, Utah has desert deer's???!!!

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 13:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, I love that color too. I love the Shadows with "colors" on them. I don't recognize the style of fog lights on the front? What model are they?
Christian, that marquetry is magnificent.

Vladimir, Utah has about a 1 to 10, deer to person ratio. Estimates are that we have about 300,000 deer in the state. I live about 3 miles from the foot of the Wasatch Mountains and deer occasionally walk down my street. I live in Utah's second largest city, not in the back woods.
Utah has lots of desert, but mountain ranges are almost always in sight so deer can be seen everywhere.
My place of business is right up against the mountains and at night, deer curl up on our lawn next to a little creek. It's a little spooky to go outside with a flashlight and play it across the lawn area to see 50 pair of glowing eyes looking back at you.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 14:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

Wow, what a fine piece of craftsmanship that. I wonder how long it took even a skilled craftsman to make that up.

I'll look and see if I can find anything related to those parts.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2017 - 16:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Is your car a later US delivered Shadow I with the US required impact absorbing bumpers that then appeared on the SSII?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

No. I actually located the "brief history of" write-up that I did for one of the RROC-US events I took part in way back when. Here are the contents:
--------------------------------------
Silver Shadow II 1978 SRH33576

Foreign License Number: VYV803S

Color: Cranberry Red Mica (Land Rover Color Code 845)

The History of SRH33576 – 1978 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II

SRH33576 was first delivered to one R. Dutton Forshaw, Jack Barclay Ltd, 18 Berkeley Square, London – 15 February 1978. It was subsequently registered with plate VYV803S on 29 August 1978, when purchased by Mr. F. Fisher, who later sold it on 10 January 1981. It disappeared in records for a few years, next being acquired by Mr. Michael Thomas Connelly on 2 March 1986. Mr. Connelly brought the car to Florida, USA, and it was titled there on 5 March 1986, and remained in his possession for approximately 19 years. It was next briefly owned by Mr. Perry D. Benson III of Senoia, GA, between the dates 15 July 2005, and 16 June 2006, when it was purchased by the present owner (Brian Vogel, Staunton, VA). SRH33576 was originally painted Chestnut and RHD. At some point in her journeys she was converted to LHD and repainted in the current metallic cranberry red.
------------------------------------------------

I had thought the impact absorbing bumpers with the black rubber and the plastic end caps had become standard issue from Crewe for all delivery markets with the advent of the two series cars.

The bumpers on LRK37110 are no different.

Notice that the side lights just behind the front and rear bumpers are not OEM. These were apparently not required for home market cars and were required by US law when the car was brought to these shores. The lights on the car are still what the then custodian fitted.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 04:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
Your car is lovely.
Here is your chance to get the side flashers removed now that they are not required by law and that deer has forced you into remedial work in that area. These cars look better without additional lights on the sides.

The colour is wonderful.
Lovely history..... especially that it was owned by Dutton Foreshaw!! a well known name in the British car market.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I would imagine those side marker lights are still required by US law, as the two series cars delivered here had these from new. Here are two shots from when I picked up LRK37110, and every US delivery Shadow II series car I've seen had the lights you can plainly see here:

Front

Back

Also, the deer damage took place in 2007 and was long ago repaired. I really need to find a new custodian for SRH33576. Life circumstances have made it that I can spend less time on her than I'd like and almost zero time on LRK37110, which I'd really like to get back to resurrecting in earnest.

Brian

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross
Your request is an obligation for me. Yes, for travelling I almost need a follower truck, as space for luggage is rather limited, quite in contrast to the interior, where I feel very comfortable behind the steering wheel and have enough leg and arm room, not to speak of the rear seats, a huge contrast to the EPW standard steel cars. So we carry some of our travelling paraphernalia between the front and rear seats.
Here is a shot of the contents of the trunk/boot, please excuse the poor quality of the photo:

Unfortunately the third suitcase is missing, but I have never used these fitted suitcases on our tours, they are not very handy.
I enclose 2 pictures to show the extent of labour required to get GZU7 to its present state. Of course that was out-of-reach for a DIY job:

About 2/3 of the ash frame had to be replaced

To get at the ash frame all panels had to be removed and as a consequence most of them had to be refabricated.
GZU7 has done about 20'000 miles since its resurrection 2001-03.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
Great read, thanks for sharing the details & history.
My front side lights are white as per GB & Australia. Ive had trouble with them of late, and they need new capless bulb holders.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jonas,
Thank you for the images. A great insight into a beautiful car.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 07:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interestingly, Series I cars had two of the smaller side markers. Here's a similar view of Tootsie's RF quarter. She's a 1969 model (SRX6816) for reference. Note her thin white wall tires.
Tootsies, SRX6816, RF quarter - two smaller side marker lights
- Tootsies, right front quarter with two smaller side marker lights

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2017 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

DearJonas,
your car is lovely. Lucky you!!!

Omar

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 04:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are a few shots of my 1993 Turbo R LWB. All 93 Bentleys had green surrounding the "B" in the badges to commemorate the diamond jubilee from when RR acquired Bentley Motors. I enjoy driving her as much as I can.

Photos have been transferred to next post.

Hmmm.... I've tried everything I know and STILL can't get the image correct. You guys get the idea. Any help??

Mark, have deleted sideways photos and transferred captions to your photos, as corrected by Geoff, in next post. David

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 04:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since I'd already corrected Mark's pics to look at his car, I thought I'd re-post. Mark's car is a 1993 Turbo R LWB.

At Work:
a

I always like pictures taken from the passenger seat, showing the long bonnet and mascot.

At night:
b

Bonnet
c

Side Badge
d

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

THANK YOU GEOFF!!! I'll get it someday.

Anton De Bloch
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.119.215.194
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2017 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These are my spirits in the snow a few years ago.
Also my spirit limo with a roof rack. Helpfull for ladders and long timbers.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anton,

You have to be registered as a member to be able to post pictures on the Forum. Your joining our community will be most welcome.

If you email your photos to me with any captions you think relevant, I will post them for you.

My email address is drh14434AT[@]yahoo.com.au [Just delete AT and brackets for correct address.

I look forward to posting your images.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great looking Bentley Mark.

Glad you drive it lots, that's what they are for mate.

Good job Geoff

Derek Atkinson
Yet to post message
Username: datkin21

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1973 Corniche convertible, DRH14432, photographed in Kent, UK a few years ago. Currently sat in my garage awaiting some more jobs but it's cold out there at the moment! Owned her for nearly 8 years and in that time apart from routine servicing I've taken both heads off, replaced valve stem seals and a busted exhaust valve, repaired the loom to the gear change, had the carbs professionally sorted, removed and cleaned the radiator, had the header tank re-soldered, played with and gave up on electronic ignition, and I'm doing the front discs and pads now (slowly). I am not mechanically trained but I've learnt a lot from just getting stuck in, and even more from reading the posts from the collective brains on this forum - thank you all for the advice and the (foolhardy?) inspiration to 'have a go'.
drh14432

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Derek

Welcome to the forum. Fabulous car. 70s Corniches are one of my favourites.

I have a couple of questions. How difficult was it to remove the cylinder heads. There are lots of reports that they "weld" themselves to the cylinder head studs and are almost impossible to remove.

Why did you give up on electronic ignition. I ask as I had an electronic ignition module fail on my car. This I suspect was self inflicted as I was using copper HT leads i.e. zero resistance. I reverted to points, but may make the upgrade again in future, now that I have carbon trace HT leads fitted. I was just wondering why you gave up on your electronic ignition.

Geoff

Derek Atkinson
New User
Username: datkin21

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff, thank you. Early Corniches are just about my favourites too.

Fortunately the heads themselves were OK to remove, but it was the fact that in order to get to them I seemed to have to remove virtually every thing else! Plus my inexperience in tackling such a job meant I probably made many rookie mistakes, but as I say the heads themselves came off without problem.

I'm pretty sure they'd been off at least once before prior to my attempt (this was about 5 years ago), but I've no idea how long before.

I could never get the engine to run smoothly with electronic ignition; I had to retard (if memory serves) the timing so far I was worried I'd burn out another exhaust valve, and it never idled smoothly.

I tried with two different systems (a cheap one off ebay and an expensive one from Flying Spares) and had the same results with both.

In despair I ended up taking it to a reputable local specialist who said the best thing to do would be to revert to points, and I'm glad I followed his advice. I've still got all the equipment in case I ever want to try it again, but I don't think that will be for a while!

Derek

David Gore

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Derek,

What a coincidence, your Corniche is 2 cars older than DRH14434 which used to be my responsibility for reasons covered elsewhere in this forum. No doubt they spent much time together before they were delivered to their owners.

DRH14434 started life in Crewe, went to Yorkshire for its first owner then everything went down hill after that until it was acquired by my father-in-law around 1982 and spent 2 years in Oxford to meet the Australian Sales Tax laws for reduced import duty on privately imported cars before being shipped to Australia.

DRH14434

David Gore

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John Beech,

Note the position of the front guard repeaters on DRH14434 and the absence of these repeaters on DRH14432.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Something a bit different, my 1951 Mk 6 special built by my father in the seventies, now sporting new paint and trim

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love the special, Mark!

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

What did that electric fan come out of? It looks like a Porsche 928 fan I have in the shed that blows so much air I think you could use it as a propeller to fly home if the slushbox ever gave out.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 11:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

A trick we used to do on bikes with points made from unubtainum-unicorns-and fairy dust with prices to match was to throw a General Motors ignition module from an HEI ignition and trigger it with the points.

With no current flowing through the points they last forever.

I wrote up how to do this once but I just googled it and there is a tone of info on it now including this.

The diagram is pretty much right except that it shows a condenser across the points. That is no longer necessary as you are not really doing a kettering system with points.

I have this setup on an older GMC pickup and a bike right now and it works fine. Time it like normal.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross
The fan is an off the shelf Kenlowe fan.
When the car was built it was fitted with a lower and fatter radiator core so the original fan no longer fitted, There is a small mechnical fan but in all reality it does very little. The electric fan is needed when in slow moving traffice, or stopped.(especially in summer) Once up to a decent speed it is switched off.
This fan certainly shifts some air, at start up it draws an initial 30 amps!!!

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents, thanks very much for these great photos.

Mark's Bentley looks REALLY well sorted- right down to the Climate Change busting fan- probably the only one of our cars who could dare step out tomorrow (Sunday). This weather is ridiculous- things need to change.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 22:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Beautiful looking Corniche Derek.
Good to see more early cars with fog lights mounted like mine to clear the way for the ankle freezer vents.

That's an amazing looking MkVI Mark.
Gotta love that Spitfire type long bonnet.

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,
What a great special. It looks very well balanced and I love the outside brake lever.
Thanks for sharing.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mark,
That MK VI looks amazing mate.
I have a run of the mill MK VI which is screaming to be converted into something sexy like your car.
I am now toying with the idea of tearing the body off and converting it into a special not too different from yours.... and maybe put a Bentley V8 from a 90s Eight or maybe an 80s one with carbs. Would the width of the engine compartment accept a 6.75 V8?

Mark Taxis
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
Thank you for the compliment, it took my late father 11 years to build that car.
I am not sure of tghe dimensions of the engine compartment, but I have heard of some mk6 specials being fitted with a v8, having said that I have never seen one in the flesh

Mark Taxis
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nick
The car runs fine in the hot weather it is just the ancient driver that cannot take the 40 degree heat, so the car will stay in the garage for today

Mark Taxis
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
Some photos of the engine bay on my mk6 special. As you will see there is not a lot of room, however the engine bulkhead is not a fixed position and could be moved back, but I suspect a V8 is shorter than the straight six.
Engine bay side panel are in line with the chassis edge

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 11:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazing images Mark of a beautiful car.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark

your father did a top quality job there. Most specials have a boxy appearance. Yours does not. I can see even the flat surfaces have slight compound curves that give it that professional look. It really is very very good.

Geoff

Mark Taxis
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 16:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff and Patrick
Many thanks for your compliments after 2 year of work (and a shed load of money) I have got the car back to its original condition, in some areas better, helped by new technologies and better on line information.
The original mudguards were narrower and have been replaced due to a change from cross ply to radial tyres.
The LED lights in the engine bay and under the dash are great for working on the car, and at $15 for a 5m metre long strip an inexpensive refinement.
The body is actually fibreglass from the bonnet back. This was designed and manufactured by a Mr, Harry Rose, recent enquiries by the BDC in UK have revealed 61 cars fitted with this body, but each car is different with individual characteristics incorporated by the builder / owner.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great insight into your car Mark.

Thanks for sharing.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome car Mark- a real credit to both you and your dad.

David Gore

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"These are my spirits in the snow a few years ago.

Also my spirit limo with a roof rack.

Helpful for ladders and long timbers.

Anton Bloch"

Anton has forwarded these photos for posting on the forum - roof racks on his LWB Spirit are a useful addition.

winter view

summer view

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 17:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow that LWB Spirit looks like it may be a special. Any more photos of it?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

application/pdf
Black Spur.pdf (690.0 k)

A photo of my Spur form the 90s. This car was the bee's knees at the time.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow Omar,

That's awesome.
Beautiful looking Spur mate.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2017 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar, thanks for sharing the photo's of your black Spur. It looks to be a very fine example of the marque. Most impressive.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: