Can an RR send you bipolar? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Can an RR send you bipolar? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ross Rackham
Experienced User
Username: rosco

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2009 - 22:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just curious, after I've acquired my Shadow I I've taken a week or so off to replace the central locking, update the sound system and to attempt to sort out the power seats.

The way things are going I fear I will soon start suffering Bi-polar disorder.

One moment I have the almost irresistible urge to pour petrol over the car and set it alight, the next (after I solve a problem) thing I know I'm sitting back with a smug look of self satisfaction wondering about the next fix.

I fear this emotional roller-coaster will push me over the brink. Is this normal?

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 02:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, don't worry, its perfectly normal. But I must say its happened to you sooner than expected. Slow down and enjoy it. Your in a new relationship, get used to her, dont try and change her all at once.
When you have spent three hours trying to lever the outer cover off the rear brake pump,on a freezing Saturday afternoon.Thats the time to think about the matches. And when it finally comes off you will be glad you left them at home.Regards, Nigel.

Ross Rackham
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 02:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha! Thanks Nigel, I'll keep that in mind.

To be honest the only thing that worries me is the hydraulics, I'm electrical/electronic myself but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Cheers
Ross

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, 16 August, 2009 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will Ross. Hydraulics are just like electrics,but,smelly,dirty,hot and bloody confusing at times. Regards, Nigel.

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2009 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, ease up. I'm in a learning phase myself, but definitely not with the motivation you have. I'm hoping that the 2 decades of my father's own particular type of maintenance will buy me some time.

I know a few manic depressives and even they wouldn't be screaming so quick as you. You sound more in need of help than they do.

You have a choice.

1/ Take things easy, research each project and do it properly. But you must enjoy the end of the day's work.

2/ Give up, get your money back and be sure the car is sold to someone who wants to preserve it.

Ross Rackham
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2009 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't worry Colin, my last evaluation did not require me hand back my Glock.

I did try to tell them the voices were getting harder to resist!

I've found the balance I used to have when restoring motorbikes years ago. Brain Lube.

When things started looking impossible during a rebuild, my best friend and I would just look at each other and declare "brain lube".

After that two cans or glasses of what ever was available would come out and we would sit and ponder in silence.

After the drinks were finished one of us would always come up with, "you know, if we just did this......." and it would usually come togeather just fine.

You are right, just work through one problem at a time, that and stay away from the matches!

Cheers
Ross

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 19 August, 2009 - 03:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross,a Rolls Royce is just a natural progression, I think. From where you have been in life to where you are going.
You work on aircraft and have restored motor bikes. The skills you have gained and logical working methods will help tremendously when working on your Shadow. Which looks a beautiful car by the way. Also, your change in temperament when a job has been completed means you will look forward to the next. Knowing that it is not beyond you.
You are very fortunate where you live to have very knowledgeable and enthusiastic people around you.
I came across Bill Coburn whilst trawling the net for information about Corniche brakes.
When we began the overhaul of the system we knew nothing. But, after a few emails to Bill we began to feel our way. He set us on the right road and the brakes on the Corniche are superb again.(After over two years work evenings and weekends)
Sorry to ramble on, but I think these motorcars are a delight in every way.And when you have a set of AF, Whitworth and BA tools you will to. Regards, Nigel.

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.89.150
Posted on Tuesday, 01 September, 2009 - 02:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I look back now, at the problems that used to confound me, I actually find myself laughing out loud, at what a numbskull I was.

(Message approved by admin)