Rolls Royce Umbrella Arrived Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Rolls Royce Umbrella Arrived « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.

I received the magnificent Rolls Royce umbrella that Ross did a wonderfull repair job on and then offered it on the forum.

I was so excited to get it, but took half an hour to unpack as it was packed so wonderfully well

As I had never seen one of these umbrellas open, or had a good look at one up close, I thought I would share some images in a study of this very high quality umbrella.

Yes that is an anti rattle O ring so when it's closed up it's all neat and tight.

It now resides perfectly where I had a golf unbrella, above my jack and tool bag.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very nice. How does a mere mortal obtain one of those?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 923
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2017 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Ross offered this on the forum after he acquired it with a broken shaft. He did a great repair on it.

I purchased it from him for $200USD plus shipping cost.

There are some on eBay, but the prices are eye watering.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 12:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I wouldn't call the repair great, but I would call it stout.

The pictures are a nice touch as there aren't many good documentary pics of that item on the intrawebs. I was impressed with the quality as well.

I bought it from California if I recall correctly so it is also quite the world traveler.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 970
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2017 - 15:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It certainly has done some miles Ross that's for sure.

Thank you again Ross

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I poked around on eBay. USD$500 is a common asking price. I concur with Patrick about eye watering as the perfect adjective - at least for my pocketbook! However, based on a comparison of the photos Patrick offered vs. an eBay example; http://tinyurl.com/j2gcle3 I am prepared to call fake on the eBay example based principally on the photo of the mechanism itself. So if you want one of these enough to fork over 500 bucks, I very much urge caution because knock offs of expensive products made in China are seemingly to be found in more than just Prada shoes. It's the Wild West out there so be careful!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good post John.

You're right. It looks good, but the internals are way different.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2017 - 11:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Thanks to Patrick's pictures we can now spot fakes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: