Replacement Keys Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Replacement Keys « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, 22 August, 2008 - 14:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone tell me of where I can get a spare key cut? None of the locksmiths I have been to have the correct blanks.

David Bailie
New User
Username: davidb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 22 August, 2008 - 16:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Knights in Hardware Lane Melbourne city have the blanks for pre and early post war cars.
David Bailie

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, 22 August, 2008 - 17:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lawrence the key blank numbers for a Shadow series one are:
Ignition key RR2R and Door key RR5
Both of mine are the common SILCA brand. Any locksmiths should be able to order them from their catalogue.

If your car is not a Shadow maybe someone with an appropriate car can look at their spares and list the numbers ?

Whatever you do don't buy the blanks from the USA sold on eBay if it's for an Australian delivery Shadow. For some reason the Australian ignition key is an exact reverse of the profile of the US one - something to do with some petty regulation at the time involving the valet key arrangement RR had; or so I've been told.

If you're near Bayswater, Robert Chapman knows of a local locksmith with the blanks.

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 22 August 2008)

Lawrence Heasman
Experienced User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, 22 August, 2008 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeffrey, I'm off to see Rob tomorrow so I'll ask him. The key is for an '89 Spur.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, 22 August, 2008 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When you get them Lawrence could you list the numbers ? Partly because I don't live near a city it took me over 8 months to track down some blanks, even after the Locksmiths at Wodonga ordered several likely possibilities.

I imagine this sort of information will get even more difficult to source as the cars age.

Perhaps this thread could become a 'car-key blank numbers' list if enough people get onboard and the administrators are happy with that ?

I know there are legal barriers to locksmiths handing out (especially car) key blanks to customers but just having the catalogue numbers should be okay I hope.

Any locksmiths on the board who might know?
Cheers,

Jeff

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Saturday, 23 August, 2008 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

Watch the technical library www.rrtechnical.info under Useful Literature, as a full listing of key blanks will appear in a week or so.

Our local locksmith in Canberra holds a comprehensive supply of blanks by the way, and the RROC in the USA stocks them in the club stores for mail order.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, 24 August, 2008 - 11:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PERFECT !

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, 25 August, 2008 - 00:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to add pig to pork - if you phone/fax Theo Hendrickson in the UK and quote your chassis number he will supply original style keys to fit your car, including the service key. Theo used to be the Parts Manager when Appleyard Rippon were the only approved R-R spares supply company for pre '55 cars.

T&G Auto Spares Ltd
www.tgautospares.co.uk
Tel/fax +44-113-255-9908

SB
www.boddice.co.uk

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, 01 September, 2008 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Key and Key blank information is now in:

http://rrtechnical.info

under Miscellaneous:

http://rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous.html

or go directly to:

http://rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous/rollsroyceandbentleykeyblanks6.pdf

RT.

John Budden
Experienced User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 09 July, 2009 - 05:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those in Australia SILCA has a distributor who is prepared to sell key blanks, minimum quantity 10 each, to the public on credit card. They have the RR1 and RR2 blanks suitable for Silver Clouds etc at a little over $1 each. Nice to have a supply in case your local locksmith can't assist or in ten years time when keys become obsolete and we all use bionic identification:-)
The contact is (mbennett@lsc.com.au)