Reversing Camera and screen Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Reversing Camera and screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys, I am considering installing a reversing camera into Benny (86 Turbo RL) I would be using the WiFi setup from inside the boot, the thing that is worrying me is the installation of the screen, naturally the screen needs to be powered but I don't want it to look tardy or unsightly. As it stands right now I am not even sure of the best place to mount it. I will know more when the Bentley comes home. Any advice and photo's of mounting it would be appreciated. In one more week or less Benny should be coming home from the workshop.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

I have been thinking of installing something like these.
If you have your phone in a cradle, then you have a screen at your disposal.
Then there is no screen to try and fit somewhere in/on your dash.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/pearl-rearview-smart/

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-WI-FI-Car-Backup-Rearview-Reversing-Camera-Cam-for-iPhone-HTC-Android-/122185794465?hash=item1c72d743a1:g:N44AAOSw8gVYBKyl

Having your phone in a cradle will be good for google maps as well.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Patrick's got a good idea there. And wouldn't look out of place either.

It's funny, when I'm working on modern cars , I just leave the Blue Tooth Dongle plugged in and log into it when neccessary.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 699
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I was also thinking of something like this.

This way you can have a pretty normal looking radio in the dash, until you pop it out.

Only problem is, as you can see in this video, the screen would then block my SYI main vent & A/C outlet. As you can see below. But it might be ok for Benny?
https://youtu.be/ld0lGBaT5s0

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the smallest camera I could find when I contemplated this project last spring. Technology might have improved since..
http://www.cubbycam.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=82
It's a 12mmm lens, but I still can't find a suitable hide-away on the Corniche's butt.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 22:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are also those mirrors with integrated screen, but they are all so clumsy! Anybody who points me in the direction of a slim mirror gets a few bottles of Luxembourg's best-hidden secret ;)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 701
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 23:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jean,
Genuine Hyundai mirrors with the built in screen are quite slim, but not sure about compatibility as they would be a proprietary item. I'm sure cost would be up there as well.
But worth a look.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 01:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan
I fitted mine instead of the ashtray, Like anyone would smoke in a Bentley?

See pic

Mike

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 01:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh and see if you can see my camera?

Michael, to avoid the original problem with the image and text layout; the cure is simple. Just make sure you hit the "ENTER" key twice after entering the text before you insert the first "\image" command and then double "ENTER" before entering each further image command.

This is all I had to do to fix your problem as above.

I think the camera lens is the black dot on the top RHS of the "B".

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 01:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

why does this site mess up pictures?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 702
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 06:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That looks great Michael.
The screen doesn't look out of place at all.

Nope can't see your camera.

Pics look ok to me Mike, what happened?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

See my comment below the picture.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the awesome help guys, many different types to choose from.
Right now I am leaning towards Patricks idea of it being a pop up screen which is part of the radio. Benny has an aftermarket radio but I would not be concerned about changing it up to a better unit. I will know more when Benny comes home as to what might get blocked. I presume? that would have some type of sensor unit which sends a signal for it to open...

Patrick do you know if that unit pops the screen up each time I would go into reverse? because that is something I wouldn't mind.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 705
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

It looks to me as the screen is operated manually, but I'm sure a couple of suppliers would conform this.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 16:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, that's going to be my next step to talk to a couple of high tech places that supply and install them. Although I must watch my spending here lol I feel as if I have laid out enough until after Christmas/New Year festivities :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 707
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 16:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok

Just stop all ideas Alan.

Enjoy Benny the way he is.
I had to do the same, if you just don't stop, you will be amazed at how much you have actually outlaid mate.
I was stunned at the amount of "little things" I just kept doing the bank statement floored me.

Put him back on the drawing board in Q2 2017.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The camera could be mounted looking through a window in the number plate. maybe a 1 inch dia hole with a piece of nicely ground flat glass to seal from the elements. However condensation is a big if.

I would in the first instance mount the TV screen using a rubber sucker so that the best position compromise is found.

Also the prices of these kits vary a lot so one has to sort out the wheat from the chafe and whats a rip off and what isn't.

main problem --- condensation

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 10:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, thanks for the advice.
To be honest I had not considered condensation as a problem but now I am aware of it I will certainly take that onboard when I make my purchase. Cheers.

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2016 - 02:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Thanks David for the tip :-)
I've attaced another pic pointing out the camera.
Cheers
Mike

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What about this thing

http://www.banggood.com/HD-1080P-Dash-Cam-Video-Recorder-Rearview-Mirror-Car-Camera-DVR-G-sensor-p-1001475.html?rmmds=category

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 789
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's cheap enough Ross.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 11:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the price is good Ross. I will worry about it more when my car comes home.

Benny is still in Phil's workshop awaiting parts from the UK. It was strange visiting my car yesterday, it felt like a trip to the hospital lol.
The carby is out and the butterfly tension was totally wrong and would have been opening far too early, a quick look at the workshop manual and an adjustment sorted that out. Phil is working on the box the carby sits in and is looking into a modification to prevent the carby from warping. Luckily mine has had little use and had not warped.

Anyway with a little luck I might have the car home for Christmas (fingers crossed) More to come!

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

If it happens, what a nice Christmas present.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed,

You can put all the Christmas presents in the boot!

It will be awesome if you do get it back for the big day Alan.

I will keep em crossed for you.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 17:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys, I can but hope :-)

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, 20 December, 2016 - 13:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Even leaner. This one is just the screen and a mirror.

http://www.banggood.com/4_3-Inch-TFT-Car-LCD-Rear-View-Rearview-DVD-Mirror-Monitor-p-75897.html?rmmds=category

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, 21 December, 2016 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

Love the business name for the website this mirror/screen is on

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: