Replacing the Phantom Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Replacing the Phantom « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, 25 February, 2016 - 12:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I read a short blurb today that Rolls-Royce announced retirement of the Phantom and its replacement with a new design. Is there any more detailed news?

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 910
Posted on Saturday, 12 March, 2016 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try making sense of this

http://2016newcar.com/2016-rolls-royce-phantom-replacement-price/

The words are English, but the phraseology is Martian.

This one is readble, but says less - or at least uses fewer words.

http://www.inautonews.com/rolls-royce-phantom-replacement-planned-for-2016

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2016 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,

The first link is just another example of what we call "Chinglish" - a reverse translation of an original Chinese language R-R press release into English. Something we have to live with given China is the current ubiquitous source of most of our manufactured products.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2016 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One thing I can never understand. There are billions of people in the world who can speak good English. How come the people who write these instructions can't find even one person to check them?

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2016 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bob/ I'll stop the remonstrance I was writing to the Ambassador for China, repeating the essence of your remarks.

In fairness, the originators writing in Chinese may have had no intention of their masterpiece being translated rather than writing a new one in English! Hence David's prediction.

The other point is timing. I remember being in the old Company's bad books because I proudly announced the Shadow II on the front cover of Praeclarvm which at the time I was editing. The RR Marketing Director visited Australia for the announcement and was somewhat discombobulated to find my contribution which meant he had to set up a fresh one for the big announcement.

We patched up and when I visited the Factory in 1980 it was he that met me in London, handed over the Managing Director's Camargue car keys and I drove him to Crewe. During that visit I walked into the Factory and was greeted with lines of brand new HZ's being assembled. At the time they still had 98 Shadow II's to sell. The one thing they quickly advised me was that they would not be telling me what they were going to call the model. Once bitten I suppose - they had my measure!

And whilst on the subject of announcements, I should record the extraordinary one by the then Factory representative introducing the first long wheel base Spur to attendees at a cocktail party hosted by the then York Motors in Sydney. The visitor apparently announced to the assembled guests that 'the Board of Rolls-Royce never ceases to be amazed that so many men will pay ten thousand pounds for an extra 4 inches'!!!! The party apparently dissolved in mirth apparently to his mystification. I wasn't there but I would be most surprised if he didn't know precisely what he was saying and enjoyed the embarrassment if there was any!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: