Rolls Royce and the Art of Relaxing T... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Rolls Royce and the Art of Relaxing Tinkering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a strange phenomenon but I find that tinkering on the Camargue causes me to relax.

When I work as a mechanic in the trade I am anything but relaxed. The trade has become sadly these days a venue for stress and there are few employers who don't rule over you with a stop watch.

Then there are the late model cars that are build primarily out of rubbish materials with nice little plastic clips here and there on just about everything ready to break the moment you have to remove them.

On top of that is the fact that whoever is designing the new cars has either got zero idea about repairing them or just does not care whether they are repaired or not. About three years ago I worked with this excellent Philippino mechanic who had to remove a starter motor from some economical Asian car and both of us could only arrive at the conclusion that either the entire engine had to be removed from the car or the front suspension had to be dropped down before the starter could be removed. He dropped the suspension to get the starter out.

Working on the Rolls Royce at home is different. I take my time to have a good think about what I am going to do before I do it, so as not to scratch or break anything. The second I come across hardship in any form I walk away from the car and make a cup of tea and think. Every bolt, nut or screw I remove, I immediately bag and tag it so that there is absolutely no doubt later as to where some bits go. The clear plastic fridge/sandwich bags from the supermarket are best for this. Another trick I do is to make a written record of the wiring. Sometimes a manufacturer will put a green wire with a yellow trace with a plug going into a purple wire with a silver trace. Exactly, what is the sense in that I am yet to find out. Hyundai is notorious for having many plugs that are interchangeable and for having wires change colour as they go along. That being a criticism I think the Mad Hatter was in charge when RR/B used cloth covered wiring on the Clouds. What an insane headache that is during restoration when all the coloured cloth has rotted away to reveal all wires are brown underneath.

One thing I would have done different with the Camargue when it arrived would have been to mask up every orifice in the engine bay - the reason - Mister or it could be Mrs Hornet. These colourful but extremely painful creatures love to build their mud nests on the car in anything shaped like a hole and the fact that the hole may be covered in grease or oil does not faze them one bit.

The other creature around my cars that is not welcome is Mr and Mrs Rat. I keep my place loaded to the hilt with rat bait and every year I kill a load of them. Once I had the nasty task of retrieving the rotting corpse of a rat from the inside of an air-conditioning system of a nearly new Nissan Navara.

It was a massive job that entailed the stripping of the interior of the car back to the firewall, because Nissan engineers had failed to block a hole in the car near the rear of the front mudguards that allowed the rat entry.

The poor woman owner almost died with a leg in the air like a starved sheep when she saw her car in pieces but the smell of the rodent had driven her almost crazy and I only wished she had brought the car in earlier before it got the point where it became nauseating to just open the car door.

So far I have had no damage due to rats but I once knew a fellow who owned a very expensive hot rod and the rat had got up into his hoodlining and then eaten its way out through his new but expensive lining.

Cats I have known to sleep on the fan blades of large trucks possibly to keep warm from the radiator. Now that really makes a mess at huge expense when the engine starts and the cat is not fast enough to get away.

Lastly Goats. Goats and cars simply do not mix. The Mad Scot has a friend who purchased at great expense a brand new black Holden Commodore SS ute (pick up) One day he heard his wife scream the house down and he came in thinking one of his children had injured themselves. She pointed to the garage and then he saw his neighbour's goat having a wail of a time bouncing up and down on the bonnet having already dealt with the top and boot of the car. He diplomatically removed the goat from his car with a 410 shotgun and telephoned his neighbour "Hey mate you can come and pick up your goat, it's dead and buddy you are getting a panel beating bill you just won't believe."

But what about humans? Why is it that some people have to lean against another fellows car? What's worse is when you tell someone not to lean on your car and they act like you are behaving strange. And then there are these photographers who get female models to sit or lay on the bonnet of cars. What's that about? If I had a Ferrari, Maserati or Lamborghini with aluminium coachwork I would go mental even if Sophia Loren in her twenties was stretched out on the bonnet. I just don't see any attraction at all in such a mingling of fine cars with women.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Similar story I read last evening: the Ford Motor Co. are revamping their Lincoln brand (after letting it almost die) because their recent offerings have not met with much customer approval.
You see them in the shop, having to remove the engine to change the water pump, stuff like that, like your starter episode. The cars aren't that attractive when new: every car looks like every other car nowadays; but the used car values take a dive due to the major risk of a routine repair being so expensive. Not to mention complex and rapidly aging electronics. it's not just Mercedes and BMW any more, it's all cars, even supposedly inexpensive ones.
By comparison my Shadow is not so complex after all. Like you, I can spend hours tinkering as well as thinking, and I keep a goal in mind of making everything cleaner, better, in some way while I am there. Continuous improvement, you might say. It's great therapy and an effective antidote for what we experience in the workplace.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.121.61
Posted on Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 - 00:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bang on.
I think the shadow is a pussy cat to work on.

Every major part can be extracted by undoing re usable bolts.

The special tools required are minimal and can be got round.

The bottom hose on a Peugeot 306 is clipped in to the radiator and it has limited access. Any problems chop the hose and radiator and fit new ones.

On a shadow just undo the hose clip cheap and easy, on the 306 buy new rad and hose expensive and easy.

Shadows are time consuming but easy.

When things dont go right I tend to tidy up and sweep up. Thinking the problem through and there is always tomorrow.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Prolific User

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, 30 April, 2015 - 00:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice to see your back and firing Bob. Perhaps it's time for you fire up the Shadow and head for a spring drive up North and stir up a few Scots again.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those who like their Shadows....
what a great T shirt....

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Love it - do you know if it is still available and where it can be purchased.

I would really like to get one but in a large size; the Asian "one size fits all" variety do not fit me as they are not long enough for my height.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 493
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

good ol ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371262371106?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=640390169429&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

David Gore

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar - sizing looks OK so worth the risk of ordering I think.

Now comes which colours are left...........

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
You are most welcome.
I think these shirts were made for quirky people like us.
I think I will go for one too.

Omar

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, 22 November, 2015 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Relaxed tinkering.

When I worked in the trade time was at the forefront.

When I work on my car I take the view, its finished when its finished its quite relaxing that way. And I can down tools when ever and drink tea and watch old films on TV. I just flip the mains off and lock the door tomorrows another day. One lives longer without a customer continually wanting their car back.

Grand Master

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, 22 November, 2015 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Bob same here - in the trade you are pursued by the foreman with a stop watch. The dealerships which set the times for repairs to be done rarely do those repairs themselves and if they do they always, I mean always find some way to inflate the invoice.

On top of that we have our idiotic government here which has let in thousands of "mechanics" many of which have false papers and are bloody useless (I found one who did not know what a tension wrench was) from third world countries on 457 visas which if they last 2 years can get permanent residence and then later citizenship. Employers love them because they never complain about work health and safety because they come from an environment where the safety of the worker is of no importance.

My view here is that for me, the trade is buggered well and truly. The vehicles are over complex, poorly made with mountains of plastic that cooks, warps disintergrates. The trade is vastly underpaid and the general public after paying 60 grand for a new car does not want to pay for it to be fixed at all. So I am very glad I have only just over six years to go, unless of course the government ups the pension age again in which case I will become a drug dealer to thank them for their kindness because I am not going to be destitute in my old age. I never accept a job in retail anymore because its just for the young fellows that like to prove themselves and I enjoy one thing about that and its the burn out rate - around 5 years max and they hit the booze viciously and generally disintergrate. One of the funniest things to watch is the testosterone working causing these fools to lift things the wrong way in an effort to show off. Yes they will be showing off in the future with bad backs hernias etc the bloody fools and I am sick of telling them.

I very much like taking my time working on my own cars. Unfortunately where I live loons drive up here break down and then for some strange reason the lady who owns the pub thinks I want to work on some strangers late model pile of puss - pass on that one and have erected a sign on my front gate that basically says bugger off unless you have and invite.

Grand Master

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, 22 November, 2015 - 05:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey David for some reason the site is uploading stuff before I have finished editing it. It could be that alseimers or Parkinson has me in its evil grip but this is the second time its happened in under two weeks.

David Gore

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Sunday, 22 November, 2015 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir,

Have not experienced this myself however other members may have and I would appreciate any information about this problem.

If this is an isolated instance, the problem may be in your computer software or internet connection. If it is common, we need the relevant details to try and identify the cause. I have the opposite problem; I preview the message and then get side-tracked by accessing another website which deletes the post in preview mode if I do not open a new browser page.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 02:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir wrote: . . . who did not know what a tension wrench was

I don't know what a tension wrench is, unless this is a "two peoples separated by a common language" issue where "torque wrench" in US English means "tension wrench" in Australian English.

When you do a web search on tension wrench the vast majority of results refer to a specific type of wrench used by locksmiths to keep pins in place during the lock picking process.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 04:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I for one would not want to work in a repair shop for a living, especially for run-of-the-mill cars.
I enjoy piddling but it won't make a living.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian - I also have never heard of a tension wrench, and discovered the same thing as you! It's a locksmith's tool

Perhaps Vladimir is the one who doesn't know what a tension wrench is!

Grand Master

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian all Phillipinos who do their trade in the Phillipines know what a tension wrench is. I have worked with many many phillipinos. They are differences between phillipino English and Australian English but tension wrench is definitely not one of them and this fellow was very useless on the tools - blind freddy could see he was a scammer and if you have every been to Manila like I have you would know its a mega scam city like Bangkok. Ok USA and Australia has scammers too but I have never see in USA or here entire industries based on the production and counterfeiting of drivers licences, trade certificates and university degrees. These industries are not hidden and are performed blatantly in the street. Our government here is stupid and has let a lot of immigrants in who are a threat to this country and believe me this particular phillipino was not the only one I have met who managed to fool the system.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

While all of that is very interesting, I am still trying to determine whether you meant the lock-picking tension wrench or if this is indeed something else?

I certainly don't associate tension wrench as defined for locksmiths as an auto mechanic's tool.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I knew instantly a tension wrench is known to us as a torque wrench.
Both terms are about equally descriptive to me: one turns bolts and the wrench actually measures torque as an approximation of how much tension ends up in the bolt.
We use a lot of fasteners which are tensioned hydraulically: a hydraulic jack screws on to the end and pulls heck out of it, then a round not hex nut is run down by hand. Much more accurate than using torque.

Grand Master

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian "lock-picking tension wrench" Holy tomato sauce Batman send be a box of them.

No Brian, a tension or torque wrench is a tool that indicates when a bolt or nut has been torqued to the correct specification as set out in the workshop manual for a car or other piece of machinery. Take your cylinder head bolts for instant. No good having one at 20 ft/lb and others at 140 ft/lb because its likely the head will crack.

Now about these safe cracking tools Brian what do you know about them? I have always wanted to learn safe cracking. But probably am dealing with a dying trade here as all the really big robberies these days are done with the keyboard.

If only I didn't talk that senior partner out of robbing that swanky law firm's trust account years ago I could be on the beach in Argentina next to a convertible Phantom with two Camargues one black and one white as break down vehicles. Yes I could afford to pay mechanics to work on my cars while I swished at them with a riding crop and swilled down Italian sparking wine with the other........

Honestly, they say crime does not pay but neither does bloody honestly either!!

David Gore

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tension wrench V torque wrench........

Analogous to entering a house from the front or back door, the end result is the same only the name of the entrance is different.

I use both terms interchangeably without being pedantic as I have been in workshops where either one or the other term was used. The country where the mechanic was trained usually determined what description was used.

Randy two posts above explains the reason why the two descriptions have come about; it just depends whether you approach describing the tool before or after using it. Never seen the tensioning rig Randy refers to but can see its value in critical maintenance situations such as the aeronautical industry and sensitive equipment where precise assembly is required to maintain accuracy.

Now to start WW3, is the device used on the end of a water pipe/hose to manage water flow properly described as a "tap", a "faucet", a "stop cock" or a "control valve"????????

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's easy:

If it's turned by hand it's a Tap
If it's motorised it's a Control Valve
If it's in the middle of a pipe run (as opposed to the end) it's a Stop Cock.

The word 'faucet' doesn't exist in UK English!

Grand Master

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If its made out of steel it's called a mongrel, if its made out of brass it's called a possible mongrel, and if it's made out of plastic it's called a good for nothing Asian rice beating mongrel. But if it's replaced by a simple plug its called a good idea. Sorry, I flipped out and got side tracked thinking the discussion might centre on the little whatchamacallits on the bottom of radiator tanks or in the side of blocks.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah the tyranny of language. When I was buying my first car in Arlington Va, a dealer asked me how soon did I want it. I told him in about a fortnight. This activated much wonder in those present in the office with frantic guessing as to what the term 'fortnight' meant!

The boss stopped the speculation with the announcement that a 'fortnight' was the mission-mast of a ship!

I am still trying to work out what a 'wife beater' is - an item I think you wear!! Overall I have to say that American idiom is on so many occasions far more logical than that in which I was educated!

More to the point, can clicker ratchet type torsion wrenches be recalibrated? As they appear to pull or push against a spring and given the periodic event of leaving the things screwed up to a high tension after use, I have my doubts that they are still accurate.

David Gore

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill.

My first tension/torque wrench is of the beam "clicker" type where the lever arm of the wrench bends as increased pressure is applied until a spring-loaded plunger [ejector would be a better description as it springs out of its holder block instead of being pushed in] releases after being activated by a plunger trigger coming into contact with the lever arm; the holder block is tapered and adjustable to give the correct deflection corresponding to the required tension/torque. The spring/plunger only serves to give an audible indication that the appropriate deflection for the required torque has been reached and has no role in applying the torque.

Warren & Brown

I have a Repco adjustable micro torque wrench similar to the one below which I purchased initially for overhauling the T400 transmission. This wrench can be used for both left and right handed threads by repositioning the drive lug on the appropriate side of the shaft. The torque setting functions through a "snap clicker" which releases the shaft when the desired torque is reached allowing it to move sideways to release the torque and the shaft moves back to its straight position when it is removed from the fastener. I must admit I am obsessive about fully unwinding the torque-setting screw to release the spring tension after use to minimise loss of calibration.....

Repco Micro Wrench

The other wrench is a 1200ft/lb beam wrench for torquing the Shadow rear hub yoke lock nuts; this wrench is close to 2 metres long to get the necessary leverage. Much contemplation went into the purchase of this wrench against a torque multiplier due to its cost [AUD1200] and, at the time, I did not know anyone I could ask for the loan of one. Of course, I later found one after the job was completed that would have been loaned to me if I had asked. The deciding factor was my lack of trust in whether the torque multiplier was sufficiently accurate to lock the hub onto the half shaft. Trying to separate a friction-welded yoke and half-shaft was a step too far after the problems I had in separating the yoke and half-shaft due to corrosion from road-salt laden water that had got past the felt seals originally fitted to the hub assembly. Needless to say, the R-R retro-fit lip seal conversion was fitted during reassembly of the hubs.

Grand Master

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 09:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indeed Bill can they be recalibrated and if so what with? I don't know the answer at all. I was told never to drop the tension wrench as an apprentice because it would need recalibration if I did but as I was apprenticed to a complete nutcase who never knew he was a nutcase it could well be that there is no such thing as a qualified recalibrator of tension wrenches.

This brings up all types of ugly scenarios such as how do you know that your Chinese made tension wrench is accurate from the box? Your can bet your wigwam that if it is possible to buy still a new tension wrench manufactured in UK, USA or Germany there is a good chance it is accurate from the box but my guess is if its from China its buggered before its put on the ship.

My squark in this regard is based on the fact that just about everything I have ever purchased that has Made in China written on it has proved to be garbage. Flat screen TV nice and shiney beautiful in the shop, 3 months later go buy another one. At one time this caper go so bad that the usual 12 month warranty went out the window somewhere and a juicy enticing three month warranty came in where then I upset a saleman by thanking him for telling me the product he was selling was garbage because if its only got 3 months warranty then that is all it can be. I have not watched television since.

To be frank I would take a dropped western made tension wrench over a new chinese one any day.

But wait some more. Just now I finished cleaning the dust out of the fins of my Kelvinator (nice US brand) Chinese made airconditioner. Not the small one but the most expensive box type one ie large for my 44 foot bus/mobile home. How had the dust got past the filter? That's easy the plastic filter shrunk in the heat letting the dust get into the guts of the machine. I have now modified the filter with black gaffer tape to prevent the dust getting in but really I should not complain as I knew it was made in China so I should have expected it to stuff up in 3 months.

Are yes the days when a refridgerator or TV lasted 10 years. How nice and how now its nearly impossible to purchase anything of quality. If this is proof that the human species has advanced in the past 40 years then I would like not to advance.

Back in 1977 I fancied myself as an importer and tried to import bicycles made in China. The manufacturer was paranoid about talking on the phone and only wanted to do business by letter. He could only provide gearless back pedal braked bicycles and I could see they would never sell against the Japanese who had their act together and were supplying geared bikes. The chances of my getting my Chinese friend to make geared bikes appeared nil as his public relations skills were about as good as Kim Jong Uns presently are. But obviously some businessmen had a bit more patience than me and now what can you buy that is not made in China?

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 560
Posted on Monday, 23 November, 2015 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At work we check calibration of torque wrenches annually; any that fail are returned to the manufacturer or other shop for repair; small ones 1/2 inch drive are just tossed in the bin not worth repair. L
Most torque we encounter is around 1200 to 1500 foot-pounds. Compressor rod lock nuts are larger and higher some are measured not not the old ones.

Grand Master

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 01:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy please collect all 1/2 inch drive torque wrenches from the bin if they are made in usa or uk or Germany, save up a heap on them and I will arrange payment and shipping. Do you throw out anything else, like SnapOn spanners etc? Only if you can legally of course.

Our mines here through out a lot of goods that are valuable but nobody can have them because to put it bluntly you don't get to work in mine here unless you have documentation showing that you have had a frontal lobotomy.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 742
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Best torque wrench is the simple bendy bar with a pointer. Like the one shown in the manual for torquing the bottom damper ball joint. These can't go out of calibration and are very cheap.

The whole idea of language is to communicate. I immediately knew what was meant by tension wrench even though I had never heard it before. Once understood the grammar spelling and phraseology doesn't matter.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I immediately assumed I knew what tension wrench meant. You know the old saying about the word "assume," hence the reason I asked.

Who knew that asking for clarification was a bad idea?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Often the context of the sentence and subject gives the meaning of the new to you use.

Tension wrench and locks sounds good. I now want know about locks and also safe cracking. I would like to blow the doors off with TNT.

Years back a local lad blew up a phone booth with fertiliser and derv. We were amazed at the damage. The booth was all over the road in bits with coins every where. I told you only to blow the bloody door(s) off. Italian Job.

Me and Vladimir could blow the crown jewels from the Tower of London.

I reckon 14 years jail time.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir I scored one of these wrenches recently but they are always spoken for,
They are first quality USA-made but it costs more to check them than replace them.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 562
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ditto on the Chinese made junk. I talked to a man several years ago who was importing small Diesel tractors from China. Soon as he got some he threw the batteries and ignition switches away and replaced them. He was getting them very cheap by western standards and he went to the factory several times, trying to help them improve the quality and design. He said they were very behind times and out of touch and really seemed to value his help.

Grand Master

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 11:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That right Bob, the crown jewels only way to go. Elizabeth R doesn't need all that stuff anyway and I have heard that jail is real good here, the food is better than in an old people's home and you get a rent free apartment with colour tv and as much sex as you want whether you want it or not.

Ah Bob with all the camera's these days and everybody walking around with a mobile phone you would have to be a genius to pull off a grand heist and get away with it.

When I was in Sydney there was this chap turned up with his pistol and a balaclava to rob the bank but the bank had just closed so he ran down to the next bank and it was closed too as all banks generally close at the same hour. I think he was in the wrong profession. Have you noticed Bob that Brian is being very quiet about the lock picking (I do hope he's not using his Rolls Royce as the getaway car!)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmm Vlad, so it's true that you get your whole board free???

Grand Master

Post Number: 344
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 21:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From what I hear Bill from a few chaps that have been there and done it yes to both interpretations to your last sentenence and Bill it can't be that bad because if it was you would have a decrease in repeat offending.

But seriously I have not long finished working with an exprison officer who worked almost 10 years in maximum security and he was serious about this prison caper being definitely way better than old people's homes.

This guy seriously had a screw loose and when we were out of the cattle station in the middle of nowhere if he saw another car coming towards us he would unzip his loaded rifle on the dashboard of the landcruiser (obviously far too many John Wayne/Clint Eastwood movies) but no he said prisoners get free dental, free medical, zero rent and never have to cook their own meals and they spent nothing on petrol, rego or parts and had no need for driver's licences. But keep this quiet Bill because if the government hears about it they will introduce a prison tax and somehow get us inside as well.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 23:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recall seeing on TV a situation in the UK: a chap goes into the local bank and points heat at the clerk. Instantly a glass wall comes out of the ceiling and separated the clerk from the with drawer, who turned to run and could not get the door open. He was still trying when the police showed up. He thought it was locked but it was not; he was pulling not pushing. All caught on security camera for posterity.
Only way to rob a bank is become a banker...
Crown Jewels too hard to move...

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 746
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If one is very ill Her Majesty's Prisons are very good on health care and you get free taxi and escorts to keep you company.
No worries about heating bills etc.

The Crown jewels would he impossible to fence, who would buy them except for scrap value.

My gran was payed by the prison service to lodge prison officers from Wandsworth Prison and Wormwood Scrubs. One prison officer told me that every time they hung someone he would go on sick leave, because he couldn't bare the tension and atmosphere. He said the very worse one was Derek Bentley 18 years old. The governor of the prison was very upset because he thought it was wrong to hang the young bloke. He got hung because of common purpose law despite being under arrest at the time a copper called Sidney Miles got shot by Bentley's partner Christopher Craig who was 16 and too young to hang. 1951. Bentley was pardoned many years later.
The above is why we don't hang people anymore. Mistakes get made and someone has to pull the trap lever. Not good for prison officers mental health.

Lastest money making venture is filling cash points with propane and blowing them up. Our local ATM was being filled with cash and the ATM exploded purple dye over the guy and half the shop.

Trouble with prison is that one has to break the law before they will let you in. Better than travel lodge.

Many years ago I went to Dorchester Prison to get a generator that they had borrowed from Dorset police. When we checked the generator we found a turd deposited on the exhaust manifold.

I saw the footage of an idiot pushing the door the wrong way. I bet his rusty sheriffs badge was squeaking. My sister worked for Barclays and they got raided. Her mate got hysterical and had to go to hospital.

Nowadays in the UK one has to do very bad things to get into prison. Shoplifting isn't enough.

Rolf Harris will probably die in prison. We will keep him safe until he does. We are so civilised. He gets a free funeral.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.122.123.158
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 01:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From Chambers "The" Dictionary, UK.

Faucet, a pipe inserted into a barrel to draw off liquid. From the French---Fausset

David Gore

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher,

I was hoping one of our US contributors would be able to explain how our taps came to be called faucets in the States.

Based on your dictionary definition, it may have been the result of French immigrants putting a tap/spigot for convenience on a water barrel used to collect rainwater for domestic use.

I have seen one reference to a 14th Century French origin:

"C14: from Old French "fausset", from Provençal "falset", from "falsar" to bore. Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition"

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 09:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Since the common use of faucet in the US probably predates the birth of several generations that post here I doubt that any of us can explain how that became the most common term.

You do hear tap used here, too. In fact, good old-fashioned, non-carbonated, non-mineral water that's commonly served in glasses with ice here is most commonly called tap water to distinguish it from the other types.

The term "stop cock" is virtually never used in daily conversation in the USA.

Control valve carries the idea of being both "midstream" and, often, under automated control when it's used here. I've never once heard that phrase applied to what you use to regulate the water at a sink, tub, or other "end of the line" location.

We won't get into hose bibs. I like the Wikipedia page on tap.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 11:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought Farrah Force it Majors invented the tap.

The term stop cock is also a mystery I get the stop bit but where's the cock. Worse is petcock. Rolls Royce like this sort of terminology. Every body else calls it a rad drain tap. Petcocks are not specifically rad drain taps. Petcocks are taps for drawing off samples such as beer in a brewery or checking for water the other side of a ships bulkhead. I think the pet comes from petrol. But every body calls them petrol taps. Pet cock sounds like a pet rooster. No sniggering at the back, please this is a serious subject.

I think actually a petcock is a tap sealed by lapping the taper bit. Pet could be the originators name.

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 15:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert/ Back to cock!! It is interesting although David Gore must be pulling his hair vigourosly about relevance of all this which can be the death knell of forums.

Notwithstanding David's tonsorial future, your findings for the work 'cock' solved one long time wonder I have had as to why refer to one's penis as a 'cock'. I saw Mr Google's etymological references to roosters and crowing, which I agree don't help but have decided that someone needing the need to cease urinating by means of a cock i.e. 'tap - hence the long term use of the word in mens' bath houses!

PS Thanks by the way for the thoughts intention/torque wrench calibration.

David Gore

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 16:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Bill,

Do not forget I was responsible for starting this sub-discussion in the first place and there is a valid point to be made about part of this thread being in Idler Chatter and not General Discussion - however there is a tenuous link to maintenance of R-R/B motor vehicles.

As an overall observation, the recent general discussions have provided a lot of information about the contributing members and their areas of expertise that we may otherwise have never known thus making them better known to us and for us to recognise the value of their knowledge and experience.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is also probably symbolic that nothing is breaking and thus nothing to write about, so topics wander. Topicality will be restored as necessary to fix things. I like the forum because I learn a lot of things I hope to never use, but then there are those that I do put to use which keep me logging back on...to learn more! Thank you all.

For instance, had it not been for Vladimir's thread about a drophead, and other members' contributions, I would have been blissfully ignorant of more cars I wish I had, but will never be able to afford and duly added to my "Lust List".

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.148.48.198
Posted on Wednesday, 25 November, 2015 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well for those US citizens who know so little of their history, both the French and the Spanish held huge tracts of what is today,s USA, whilst the English were struggling to get a toe hold.Consider the Louisiana Purchase.
The naming of Los Angeles has nothing whatsoever to do with angels, lost or otherwise, but is named after the old mission built at the expense of a spanish matron Senora de Los Angeles.

Mr Webster (Morocco Bound), wrote the American Dictionary,and gave them "math" and "color".

Now onto the KKK. The gentlemen Southern Settlers were educated in the English Grammar School tradition of Latin and Greek, and as the tradition of the KKK is to stand in a circle, the Greek for circle "kuklos" , was applied. Later the Klan, for clan was added.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, 26 November, 2015 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Idler chatter. Won't muck this forum up because its like a separate forum for the inane chatter of old men who are bored with watching TV. If all this rubbish is on the main forum amongst the RR stuff then visitors would get peed off. And important RR stuff would not be read. It must be remembered that Crewe only knows about cars that are new or not very old and would know little about 50 year old ones.

I have found that in general we all think the same way about life.

John Lennon said that life is what happens while you are making plans about your life.

Very true. I have sort of stumbled through life ad-libing as I go. Fortunately its worked out fine for me.

History.
We also have people in the UK who know very little about history. Some don't even know about WW2 or the gun powder plot. I find it amazing the amount of ignorance. I have met some who have never read a book.
If one doesn't know history then they will repeat the mistakes.

For non UK people The gun powder plot 1605. Was about a bunch of Catholic terrorist who tried to blow up the government and King. The government and kings policy on Catholics was live and let live and behave yourselves. But the terrorists wanted more. Some high ranking government officers were Catholic. The terrorists thought that if they blew up parliament the country would collapse and they could install a wholey Catholic goverment and force the Protestant majority to become Catholic. This all sounds very familiar in reference to whats happening now with IS nut jobs. If they studied history they would find its not going to work. The king is dead long live the king. This means that if the plot had suceeded we would have sworn in a new king and government with in days to maintain the status quo. They don't understand how democracy works.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, 26 November, 2015 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lots of people want to force others to do things their way or at least agree with them! Where tyrants come from I suppose!
I enjoy being able to discuss with a diverse group without anyone getting mad: I don't mind looking ignorant or stupid but I am not mean or bossy at all. I want to read what you all have to offer!
I spent all day with a fellow who has 11 Pierce-Arrows, so there: top that!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

11 Pierce-Arrows. They are nice nice cars.

Rolls Royce owners are well adjusted adults who don't hurl abuse.

This not so on other sites where trolls make snide comments about postings.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I enjoy being able to discuss with a diverse group without anyone getting mad:"

You can't GET mad if you're already mad . . . this helps a lot.

Working on these old girls is both a pleasure and relaxing . . . . it's deadlines and budgets that aren't!!!

"Living the dream"
. . . as they say :-)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

I would hate to have to fix these old gals ( USA English creeping in) to dead line and budget. I can spend a few hours repairing stuff that would be cheaper to replace. Sometimes I fail. A customer won't pay for cock ups. Plus you are not there when they are using the car. You as a mechanic know while driving a car if something is amiss before something bad happens.

Today I have been tinkering with my hidden radio aerial. And re arranging my tool box. Then heater motor rubber mount inspection. Some slight surface cracking. A blob of rubber grease and refit upside down.

I see a problem and just fix it with out a second thought about the labour bill. I owe myself I should think 1000s of quid in labour charges. Sometimes I decide I could have made a better job of something and redo all again.

I must be mad to have a 41 year old car. Any sensible person would get a modern car and replace it every 5 years.

I run a champaign car on lager money. Its just as well that the Shadow is so well built with bits that come apart.

I did a restoration of a Merc years ago and the heater motor was a sealed unit. I had to saw it apart. The brushes were clapped. I couldn't really weld it back together so I got a new one which was a lot of money. My heater motors come apart they can be fixed to as new condition. Nobody would be able to tell that I had even been in there.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2016 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar I just had to have one of those T shirts

just hope XXL means xx fat

cheers
rob

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2016 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You and me Rob.....
We will both wear our T shirts with pride. I got a Large and it fits.
Happy new year

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: