Hi chill Airconditioning Gas Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Hi chill Airconditioning Gas « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greeting Jetsetters and merchant bankers - have any of you had anything to do with Hi Chill Air Conditioning gas which I understand to be a replacement for R134A and for which you do not need a licence to buy or install?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 604
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 15:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eat your heart out Vlad - I have a full 10kg cylinder of R134a at home and it only costs me $100 to buy every time I need another. No licence no nothing.....

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 16:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We use Hychill in one of our old Hiluxs and seems fine. Doesn't seem as cold at idle as 134a and not a patch on r12

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 17:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It a very naughty thing to use R12 Carl but I do know of a chap whose brother has an entire warehouse full of it stored in a major city. However, another source of R12 is the local tip. Up here I have found freezers dumped full of R12. Mind you if you got caught with using it I am sure the fine would be perhaps eyewatering.

Nice to know UAE didn't play follow the leader with the R12 versus R134A. I am still confused as to whether R12 was worse or better than R134A for the Ozone layer.

A friend of mine who is a mad Vietnam vet suggested using LPG with a retardant. I told him there was no way I would risk lpg in an ac when it comes inside the car. One leak followed by one spark and all your problems would be over ! Kaboomski !!!

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 19:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wouldn't refill with R12 but the systems I know that are still running it are great. I thought hychill was primarily propane. I believe most of the taxis in Victoria use similar.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 607
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny that we seem to think that R12 is a good gas.
I personally think that R12 is not as good as R134a.
If the system is totally clean and has no residue of R12 or its oil - then using R134a works as well (if not better) than R12.
Not all R134a gas bottles give you the same performance. If you buy rubbish R134a yes it will be crap - so stick to good quality R134a and it should be fine.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 929
Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's my understanding that propane is used in air con systems in many countries in preference to the 'usual suspects'. So what if there's a bit of a leak? It's not as if a car's air con system is going to contain much gas. Also the vast bulk of it would most likely have become too diluted with the air to actually go ... BOOM!

I've not tried it myself as I don't have the required connectors, but when my Dodge comes back from the garage I'm tempted to try it as it's leaking v e r y s l o w l y and at £30+ per recharge ...

Carl Jones
Experienced User
Username: carl888

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, 24 June, 2016 - 16:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In Australia it's called HyChill.

https://hychill.com.au/

I use it in all my pre 134a vehicles with resounding success. Note, you MUST change the oil with the first charge if your car has been converted to 134a. If your car was supplied new with 134a, continue using that refrigerant.

Apart from operating in older systems at a lower pressure than 134a, it just stays in the system longer. Added to that is its increased efficiency. In my 1976 308 GTB, the air exiting went from 8 degrees at the vents to 2.

You'll note a 134a vs R12 system is designed quite differently. Note the differences with parallel and serpentine condensers for example:

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/condenser

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2016 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The main concern with LPG in AC is an evaporator leak inside the car.
The evaporator box has a drain at its lowest point which will allow leaks to drain.

The mixture has to be 3 to 10% LPG to air. For an explosion.

LPG runs at a lower pressure thus less stress on the system.

I think that LPG is a safe refrigerant especially considering I have yet to see True report of an explosion.

For an explosion we need a sequence of events which have to happen altogether. evaporator leaking while shopping for 2 hours. Owner comes back LPG has now gone no explosion.

Evaporators generally last years.

It's entirely up to the owner.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: