Engine power Loss with funny noise!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Engine power Loss with funny noise!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Garry Todd
Yet to post message
Username: cornetman100

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 19:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Everyone- This is my first post on the forum.
I have a problem with my 1977 Silver Shadow
I was travelling down the freeway at 80kmh with no problems, I needed to pass someone so I put my foot down. the car responded nicely but them the engine power was lost and what sounded like a hissing noise came from under the bonnet.
I first thought a hose had broken but there is no sign of any fluids at all and all hoses look good.
The noise seems to come from the front part of the engine.I have listened for bearing noises but this would not effect the acceleration would it?
The engine will start no problem but if you try to rev the motor will get very lumpy then cut out.
CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE with constuctive advice?
GT

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Garry, welcome to the forum. Check the hoses around the weakener and anti run-on valves.
Regards, Nigel.

Garry Todd
New User
Username: cornetman100

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks Nigel - I am a real novice at this.
what and where is the weakener and anti run-on valves?
Also whats a good manual to get to help me?

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, 04 July, 2012 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Garry - if you go back to the main page and click on "Post War Technical Library" then click on the red 'Shadow & derivatives' line it takes you to (among other things) 'Workshop manual for SY 1977-1980 etc'. From there just go to 'K -Fuel System'. You'll end up here:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/tsd4200_k.htm

It's well worth familiarising yourself with the various links on the site as there's a surprising amount of diagrams and instructions for almost everything.

It's quite confusing at first as the information covers every possible variation the company ever did but you get used to it once you've figured out where your engine number sits in the scheme of things.

Good luck - this is the sort of thing I still leave to the experts, having no background in cars at all, but it's useful to be able to at least be able to talk to them in their own language.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, 05 July, 2012 - 20:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check the under side of the large air trunking that goes from the air filter in the front right hand wheel arch to the main air inlet. They have a tendency to split inbetween the wire supports at this point due to rubbing against the rocker box cover.