Turbo R vs Mulsanne S Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Turbo R vs Mulsanne S « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 278
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 22:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had an interesting recollection last week. A few years ago a mate of mine was looking around for one of our cars. Knowing I had a 'few' he asked me some questions...what should he look for: RR or Bentley, Spirit or Shadow, Turbo or Mulsanne....and so on. Finally he decided he wanted a Bentley. He looked around for a while and finally he found a beautiful BGR 92' Mulsanne S. He waxed lyrical about it...on and on he went. Finally I asked him why Mulsanne S and not and Eight or even a Brooklands...He responded it has the most comfortable seats hes even sat in and goes like a train! Really I said...goes like a train?? hmmm. This peaked my curiosity. Now a Mulsanne is a beautiful car to be sure. When new was a huge amount of money and second to ONLY one other...the mighty Turbo R. I asked him why not the Turbo R. He said they were 'too much trouble' or thats what he heard and the 3 Turbos he had driven didnt go appreciable better than 'his' Mulsanne S. Well red rag to a bull I took him by the ear and put him in my Turbo RL. I told him to start it and pull out and lets go for a drive. He said sounds the same and feels the same as we were driving sedately around the city. We then pulled onto the Carl Expressway to cross the bridge. Now as Sydneysiders will know, the Carl has a 260' curved hill that winds its way onto the bridge and then joins the bradfield expressway up to Mosman. I told him to give the Turbo some rigth foot around the curve and then floor it as you hit the straight. He laughed and said dont be silly...I said Im not, do it. So he did. THe big Turbo dropped to 1st then with a slight rear tyre spin took off. Ray's face said it all. No ifs no buts...we were doing 120 from 60klms in 4 seconds. He actually started to giggle...I said nothing. He looked at me and I said now sit at 80 and when you reach the Harbour Tunnel exit ramps, give it full throttle up the bradfield. He did this and again, no ifs or buts 160lms in about 5 seconds. He stammered, "what have you done to this car'.... I said 'nothing at all' this is what a Turbo does as standard. He said' jesus! I said yes exactly! So why would you have a Mulsanne when so much more waits in the Turbo dressed in the same skin.....decsion made, You know I should have been a car salesman...a RR and Bentley carsalesman...
Love our Turbos!!!!
J

Michael Hicks
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just think the FUN i Have in the RT 400bhp as stranded know with 425 bhp
after 4 years i still smile

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

indeed Michael indeed! My 89 Turbo RL gives 'only' 350bhp and I can tell you it never fails to make me smile when being a prat in it. Compared to its naturally aspirated sisters its 50% more powerful than any RR or Mulsanne of the day. not to meantion would drive the doors off them too. I adore the RT LWB 97'....just sublime and yes 400-425bhp is what they should give too. The gulf in prices of Turbos to other models when our cars were new I can appreciated people probably thought hmmmm maybe the Mulsanne will do, now its a different story. I could not imagine why anyone would choose a Mulsanne S over a Turbo R as the difference in prices of the 2 models these days isnt canyon like and would be forgotten the minute you floor the fun pedal!!!
As for Turbos being 'more troublsome'...yeah well maybe the earlier carby ones are a bit finicky but efi 87MY and on cars are generally very reliable and robust. All our cars will ALWAYS need something and provided you service regularly, the Turbo R should not cost anymore to service and actually is cheaper in running and fuel costs than the unblown models, FACT!

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot to mention Ray did buy an 88 Turbo R for about the same money as the newer Mulsanne S he was looking at. He thanks me just about everytime we catch up. He loves it though he has tried to get me to pay for a few speeding fines hes incurred over the years....my response is usually...ill swap your fines for mine....

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr Feller,

You are such a pratt. Just have respect for those who are happy with only 220PS or so on-tap in naturally-aspirated Crewe V8 cars but never demand more than 180 for fear of stressing the poor beast. Wringing the guts out of a Mulsanne is equivalent to a sporty but careful outing in your RL, the vehicles sharing the same drivetrain, so in reality a Mulsanne’s mechanicals are just resting when the pedal is to the metal. Skiting that you can drive all day often using the full 350+PS (much more under transient boost) while using less fuel overall has to be unfair. You are just too smug in your choice of vehicle chosen. Why is it that your RL has the same motor as a Mulsanne S (the V8s have always been almost identical apart from Mr Garrett’s T04 turbocharger, and by 1988 the naturally-aspirated motors were fully uprated apart from the turbocharging system), but with a turbocharger bolted to its side yet the turbocharged cars show better longevity ?

Watch out. I’m coming around at midnight to snip the wires at your boost control solenoid.

RT.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 461
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 19:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This just make me doubly sorry that I didn't have the cash to hand when a recently rebuilt (?twin?) turbo engine came up for sale a while back. It had independent dyno readings to show that it put out slightly over 550 bhp at the flywheel and for a very reasonable GBP5.5K came with an uprated gearbox and torque convertor.

Michael Hicks
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not shore if there still there but Flying Spares
Had some completed Engines for cars that where destined for the Arab States with lots of GGG'SS
don't Know if they still have them
the Fun of having lots of bhp is you don't need to use them and when you cruising around it is very economical to run

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2783
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Word from the industry that those twin turbo motors are a goldmine for the spares industry. Whilst the sub-450 HP motors last forever, the ones pushed further by VW have a habit of early departure despite the roller cam followers. VeeDub heralded their modifications, but owners of Arnage T's are not exactly happy after pressing the pedal a few times. The major failures are quite apart from the relatively minor cylinder head gasket problems suffered during the cost-cutting that VeeWee did at first.

RT.

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael you are spot on. I dont use the tremendous HP in my RL all the time. In fact rarely do I ask it to give me 350hp. Instead im happy burbbling around knowing that if I want to I can overtake with gusto and all in the serene comfort of the worlds best or at least the best seats made by Crewe....sorry Conti R, yours are just too short to match the comfort of the Turbo R's. Nothing like hitting that accelerator when you are doing 140klms and feeling the car leap forward and then you look at the speedo and see the needle winding off the guage....its almost as if the horizon is sucking you forward...its quite intoxicating...yes poor Mulsanne S drivers must put up with a rather ordinary 220bhp. Actually the Turbos have strengthen gearboxs, uprated pistons and different exhaust design, plus the intercoolers and suspension tweaks to cope with the indecently fast but levienthan heavy Turbo R...
Yep, id agree the less stressed, 350hp models seem to last forever with little issues, whereas 400-450hp models, as history has shown, do sometimes suffer from gasket failures and the like...not a huge problem but one you dont tend to see in the earlier turbos.
Ohh RT you will have to catch me first....

:-)

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 282
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan, forgive me skiting like a prat. I dont mean to its just the extra cost of a Turbo R vs a Mulsanne S these days is fairly negliable. Now condition is paramount of course and a stuffed unit of either model would be annoying. However find a good Turbo and honestly you will never want to drive an 'unblown' Crewe car again. My 86 Rolls was lovely to look at and nice to drive on a sunday at leisurely speed...however it was hopeless at freeway speeds and beyond and as for mountainous driving, like a barge comes to mind......so much so I never drove it much other than to fill it up and keep the mechanicals going. The Bentleys on the other hand are a 'drivers' Crewe car. Now I know the Mulsanne S and Brooklands afterwards handle well, if not as taught as the Turbo R, not that far behind it either. The real difference is the point and squirt as we say.....nothing and I mean nothing ( including my twin turbo 335 beemer) gives me as much satisfaction as the feeling of immemse and amazingly smooth aircraft like acceleration of my Turbo RL. Sure its not as blistering quick as my Beemer but frankly its not that far behind either....on twisty roads clearly the Beemer is gone lets be honest but the Turbo is much more comfortable and just a tad more intimidating when im chasing down pootling slowpokes...most move over very quickly when the Big B's quartet of lights and huge grill appear in their rearview mirrors....

J

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to say that my personal reaction to many of these exchanges tends to loosen the alimentary muscles of my intestinal tract. We, those of us who have to be content with pottering, mainly because to stretch the gizzards of these old fowls, promotes nightmares of cracked main bearing haunches and snapped crankshafts etc (and there are several etceteras) brings on plans for self immolation, There is also to my mind the somewhat worrying image of guest readers of this forum wondering about the personal ambitions of the contributors. Perhaps it's a swing reaction to the cucumber mob??

Meanwhile locals will hopefully be interested to know that a well known identity in our movement is importing a large consignment of spares into an outlet in inner Sydney which it is hoped will lessen the frustration of owners needing parts (for their cars that is) and having to wait weeks for them. The word germain springs to mind!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 15:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With all those ponies, these cars need a little aerodynamic assistance.

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love that photo RT! Perfect weekend beacher huh. Oh its all in good fun Bill and I can assure you I'm a respectful driver generally...I too sometimes wonder when will things go bang....but we both know where to go now when and if they do....
J

John McGhee
Experienced User
Username: jam

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 18:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, do you have the patent on that enviably slim set of roof racks???

After my RR&B search began 12 months ago I drove loads of them... Shadow I & II, Spirit I-IV, Spurs and then finally the Turbo R.

Whilst I loved the presence of the Rolls, I distinctly preferred driving the Rs, which felt like large 'conventional' cars rather than yachts.

It is amazing what a different machine they are given the fact that they are not. Touche to the designers, as I'm sure many of you have a pigeon pair, as I sense I will one day (please, God, send me a four car garage...).

The difficulty I had in my search for an R is that because the Bentleys were the superior driver's car, that is how their lives seem to have played out, so you see many more examples that have been belted than in the RR stable.

I had my scouts on the hunt for a floor shift Turbo R, unless an Exceptional Spirit came up, which is how I ended up with a Spirit III.

Not a bad compromise. She is pure Rolls to look at, but thanks to Mr Costin and Mr Duckworth's plenum chambers and ram pipes she has reasonable thrust, if more 707 than 747. Thankfully they seemed to have listened to the gripes and so tightened the suspension (a bit!). It seems to ride/handle somewhere between the two.

A long way from my recently departed AMG C55, but I have learned through a series of rocketships that genuinely fast cars just stress me out for want of a thrashing, although I'm certain my therapist would just call that immaturity ;-)

I assume this collective of car crazies meets in the flesh & metal at some stage? Looking forward to getting to know you all. Perhaps the annual RR&B Dragstrip Day at Eastern Creek?? Just a thought...

JAM

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 11:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes pidgeon pairs are fun John and we both know now there is a few near you! Yes us crazies do meet and pull each others legs! mostly over a good red too! Your point is vaild too in that Turbos were driven and do tend to be driven more than their RR counterparts but they are so solid they are more than capable and they were engineered to go for 200,000 miles or so without any major issues that should worry them. Also if owners have been good to them which most do these days and kept them serviced, fixed stuff that does go wrong and treated them well, then you should not have anything much to worry about
wrt Turbo's being driven more than RR's. As for thrashed cars....I doubt any real enthusiast 'thrashes' their baby...yes some enthusiastic accelteration at times for sure, but the only cars that do mostly look knackered and are more than likely 'tired' are ex wedding cars of any model or derivative.
here are mine pidgeon pair....ahhh NO prizes for guessing which one I prefer to drive...

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 11:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, there are a few out there.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mind you, this would be the way to go.

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 21:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, your 4 door looks almost as dangerous as a B-52! I've not seen one with those wheels, they look great.

Do you eat your meals off that garage floor?? Where is the mixture of oil, HSMO and power steering fluid??

James, lovely to meet you the other day. The RL is great and your 86 looks in fine form too. Sorry about the driveway, but it was quite the day for RRMC's at Castlecrag on Monday wasn't it?!

John

Jordan Devine
New User
Username: jordan_devine

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2013 - 23:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to say I am a fan of pressing the go pedal on my Turbo R, but only sometimes with gusto. I more like driving up mountains for fun, knowing there is much potential to be called upon if so desired. Maybe I have a little habit of driving up the three peaks of Canberra, Black Mountain, Mt Ainslie and then Red Hill on the way to the car wash on Sundays. Yes, there's not that much to do in Canberra.

Here is a video going up Black Mountain http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2012/06/black-mountain-in-bentley-turbo-r.html

Bill is right, I like people to question personal ambition and especially taste and fashion.

Now RT, how about measuring the boost on my turbo sometime.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 00:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cripes. What happened to the yellow wheels, Jordan ? Given that your Turbo R is often located on my block in the NCA you are now banned.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2794
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(for outsiders, this is Canberra speak).

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Of course, I have ACT number plates now replacing the Zurich ones.

Jordan Devine
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 00:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Haha - don't fret, that's an old pic, my Turbo R still has yellow wheels!

It tends to cause excessive squinting and a decent level of shock, so I'm able to cut in to get the good car parks.

I'm now thinking of W.O. style racing spots as well. I'm sure it will make it faster.

But for people who are more into sedate proper cars in Canberra, we all own this one.

I don't think it has any issues with parking in the NCA like the rest of us!

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

JORDAN! those wheels are the most Pratish wheels I have ever seen!!! and people think im a pratt. Well RT I think we now know who wins the award hands down.....Jordan Devine step forward and take the mantle! lol. Its Hilarous and outrageous!!
JOhn, the wheels on Richards Turbo R are in fact Turbo RT wheels, they were put on RT's as limited editions and look the business!! interesting they share the Grand Masters initials too...hmmm me has always thunk thats why he likes them......
Yes good to meet you the other day it seems your street is a wash with Crewe metal!!! wanna make it one more? though you would have to do something about that hump in the drive....lol
Jordan love the phantom wont go like our beloved Turbos though..............

J

John McGhee
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

What is it with these initials?? The Grand Master RT gets "Raging Turbo", I get JAM "Just About Mediocre" and as for "JF", well we can't even talk about that, this is a family show after all!

The hump in the drive is ridiculous (but it does prevent the house flooding). Took me 5 weeks to figure out how to get the AMG in. I had my neighbour attempt it with his Turbo R before I took the plunge and joined this fraternity and it went in first go on the same angle you took. However, as soon as I arrived home with the Spirit on the 28th of January in that diabolical thunderstorm, confident that it would fit perfectly, it was like beaching a boat! Grrr.

JAM

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2798
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2013 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, maybe RT stands for Right Turkey. I have numberplates RT013 (ACT) on the Continental R at the moment, but they are borrowed from my RT R-Type to which they were fitted when the ACT first released this type of plate. CR013 is reserved for the Continental R and TR013 for the Turbo R. The 13’s ? We have numberplates 13 (NSW black-and-white owned by my great grandfather when they were first issued around 1915) in the family but I can’t use them in the ACT. We also have 1300 (NSW), 13000 (ACT) and 13013 (ACT). My sister has ANN13 (NSW) and my brother in Darwin has plates with 13 in them somewhere as does his twin brother in Sydney. Fortunately the majority of those plates are on Bentleys.

Yes, James (I mean JF for Just Foolish), we are a bunch of pratts.

RT.

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 - 08:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

those wheels Jordan Devine are without doubt the most outrageous things on a Turbo. I bet you turn heads with them!

James Feller
Grand Master

Post Number: 301
Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2013 - 08:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

twice on sundays too....

Jordan Devine
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 01 April, 2013 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes they are a little bit outrageous, but I like them.

I so often get asked why? Why yellow wheels? My standard answer is that I'm taking the p*ss.

But that's getting boring.

I'm thinking of upping my pratt stakes and coming back with a question like, 'Well is it art?'. Or if the person is a bit hippie maybe, 'I'm inspired by sunflowers'. I once tried to explain that it matches my coachlines, but that's rubbish.

I am just taking the p*ss.

And purely for self justification, I'm not the first to have yellow wheels on a Bentley.

Here is a 3L.

Or are you more of a Derby fan?

And how a about this SuperSport?

Maybe I could get a Turbo R sticker like that for mine... want a wanker.