Inspection cameras Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Inspection cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, 02 June, 2013 - 03:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An RR363 leak has just appeared on the rear accumulator of SRX18501. I have spent hours trying to see where this leak is coming from but, as everyone will know, it is difficult to get a good vantage point for viewing. So, I would like to use some type of inspection camera. About a year ago I tried a boroscope from a low cost US tool supplier (Harbor Freight) but found that it would tend to just focus on whatever was closest to it, rather than giving a view of the whole area. What I am looking for is a camera that will give me a view on my laptop screen that is exactly the same as if I was looking at it directly from under the car. I know very little about cameras and optics, so have decided to start my quest by simply buying a ten dollar webcam and placing it in the area near accumulators just to see what shows up on the laptop screen.

I guess my question is can anyone recommend a good system. I don't mind spending a couple of hundred bucks for the "perfect" system but I don't want the disappointment of the Harbor Freight boroscope again. (which may well have been due to my misunderstanding of what to expect from this particular tool)

Geoff.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Sunday, 02 June, 2013 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

My experience with bore-scope units is the same as yours - limited depth of field and narrow viewing angle. I had never thought of using a wired webcam for this purpose as I have only seen them integrated into a laptop.

Will have a look around and see what is available in a wired unit - a composite head incorporating a light source and the camera will be required - the same problems of depth of field and viewing angle with borescopes will have to be addressed with the webcam.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, 02 June, 2013 - 10:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Here's an update - I went out this afternoon and bought an Inland HD 720P webcam with built in leds for illumination and manual focusing. It was on special offer, reduced from $30 to $12.99. I'm driving it from windows movie maker, so should be interesting when I get it in place under the Rolls this evening.

Will post another update when I have tried it out.

Geoff.