Hammerite Paint. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Hammerite Paint. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2015 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A while back I tried to diy zinc plate steel. The end result was not any good.

For the dot tank top I have been checking out silver smooth hammerite.

Hammerite is owned by ICI.

I emailed them. They replied that they have not tested dot on hammerite but hammerite only goes to 90c.

So I replied that its for a reservoir 50c. And could they paint some steel and try dot on it and tell me what happens.

I painted a gas grill with bumpy hammerite and heat made the red paint go brown it didn't fall off though. I know some one used gold hammerite on calipers which looked good.

The cover on the dot tank is bound to get drops of dot on it. No matter how carefull.

Zinc plate doesn't look right for the lid. And a spray can of hammerite is 7 quid.

I see no use for hammerite except for calipers and dot tanks. Maybe the black smooth would work with rad and header tanks.

My rad top tank is getting tatty. I used satin spray can last time. Its lasted 10 years. So not to bad.

I fancy going full gloss.

Paul White
New User
Username: pjcwhite

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did look at using this stuff for the hydraulic reservoir and lid before I went with the zinc plating http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/
Although it is resistant to chemicals and good for high temps they said it was not resistant to DOT3 over a period of time.
It is very good for other parts though. The satin black matches a lot of the original engine component finishes.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have decided that zinc is the best solution.

I will use black Hammerite for the under bonnet bits.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just checked out the VHT site. They do a caliper paint in silver or gold. Ideal for calipers. But as I suspect as Paul says not for continual exposure to RR363.

I have found that most paints tolerate 90c. If the paint goes brown then its got hot and maybe a sign of overheating. However calipers often exceed 90c so very high temperature paints are needed.

I have used VHT crinkle black which came out well. MG Midget dash panel.

I am going for full gloss black if it looks wrong then a quick respray with
satin.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 810
Posted on Wednesday, 17 June, 2015 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I 'hammerited' my brake calipers after the last brake overhaul and, despite a drenching with RR363 from a loose bleed nipple, the coating is unharmed. It's a pity that the reservoir tank hasn't worked as well even though I haven't spilled any fluid on it.