Rrtechnical.info - Search Function? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Rrtechnical.info - Search Function? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2013 - 03:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

Does a search function exist for the rrtechnical.info website? If so, how is it accessed.

I wanted to point someone to the article on converting SZ seats to non-ECU operation, and I know it's on the site somewhere, but I had a heck of a time finding it the first time I downloaded it ages ago. I had expected it to be somewhere under the SZ section, but if it is it's not where I'm looking.

If there isn't a search function on rrtechnical.info I'd suggest adding one. There is so much information, and while the site is generally very well organized there are some bits and pieces where I'd least expect them.

Brian

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2013 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RRTechnical.info can be directly searched using Google, which indexes any PDFs when it finds them. In a Google search include the following in any search string
site:rrtechnical.info/teeone
and it will restrict results to documents from that site/area. For instance, if I do a Google search for
site:rrtechnical.info/teeone jaguar tecalemit
I get just two results, from TO16 and TO81. The same method can be used to search within any sub-section of RR Technical or the site itself. For example, to search only in CrewedJottings or SY Bulletins or the entire site include:
site:rrtechnical.info/crewedjottings
site:rrtechnical.info/sy/bulletins
site:rrtechnical.info

The same technique will, of course, work for any web site searchable by Google.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2013 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much for this information.

I will say, though, that while this technique works perfectly (and I found what I was looking for) it's not what I generally think of as a "search function" on a site.

Most of the world would have no clue that a site specific Google search is possible and are accustomed to doing this type of search via search box as part of the web pages themselves. Google allows site specific search boxes to be placed on all pages.

I'm a tech geek from way back, and had completely forgotten about the "site:" operator on Google. This may be the first time I've ever actually used it.

I am truly, deeply grateful for this guidance. A great deal of the world wouldn't "get" what you've shared above, and that is problematic from the standpoint of your average site user.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2013 - 16:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I am truly, deeply grateful for this guidance. A great deal of the world wouldn't "get" what you've shared above, and that is problematic from the standpoint of your average site user.

Brian"

How true this is from a Moderator's perspective given the frequency we undertake searches to help members.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2013 - 16:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David/ One would not want to be too sensitive about this situation. I have been writing Tee One Topics for over 10 years producing some 1300 pages on all manner of things relative to our postwar cars. The other day I got a message from a frequent user who asks what these Tee One's were? Then there is the enquirer 'my car stopped this morning what should I do???'

At least we are trying. And you did notice the invitation to join another club where perhaps you might find the info you were after???

David Gore

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Friday, 11 January, 2013 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Oh yes I did notice this invitation - I doubt the competition will decrease the popularity let alone relevance of this forum given our world-wide membership of practical hands-on owners dedicated to maintaining and preserving their cars to enjoy the pleasure of driving them on a regular basis.

Our knowledge base is second to none as evidenced by the wide range of topics discussed and the detailed free-will contributions of our members. Your contribution in the form of Tee-One Topics, the formation of the ACT Self-Help Group and subsequent involvement in the establishment of the NSW Self-Help Group together with the establishment of the Technical Library is one example of the contributions made by individual forum members over the years.

We are an eclectic community prepared to help others if and when possible - I rest my case M'Lud.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2013 - 00:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill & David,

I really wasn't trying to cast aspersions nor stir up a hornet's nest, and I apologize if I have.

Believe me, I know that there is a subset of users that, regardless of how active they might be, wear blinders regarding virtually anything that's outside their personal "area of focus" over surprisingly long periods of time. There is another forum, rollsroyceforums.com, where I and many other regulars have pointed people to rrtechnical.info, yet even some regulars who've participated in threads where this has been done are "surprised" at a later time when they are directed there themselves. My general rule is always to refer to:

1. The RROC-A Post-War Technical Library as a whole
2. The model specific area within it
3. The Tee-One Topics Archive

any time I'm trying to introduce someone to the site (and always using direct links).

There are certain documents, though, that are in places I'd either least expect them, or so "deeply buried" in the page structure that I simply cannot recall where they are when I need to find them. Such was the case yesterday when looking for the SZ seat ECU information.

My request for an on-pages search box was meant in the spirit of a potential future upgrade if/when the webmaster feels like it. Now that the answer to my question is on the forums, at least anyone with enough sophistication to use a forums search will find it, but I would presume many rrtechnical.info users never set foot in these parts.

There is no question that this is "an eclectic community prepared to help others if and when possible." I regret if anything I previously said might have implied otherwise.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2013 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, you can be certain Bill and I did not take any offence from your comments - in fact, I thought they were very relevant and informative.

The contribution from our experienced Administrator was "icing on the cake" as far as I was concerned as I was not aware of the Google search enhancement.

My words were chosen to highlight the problem faced in all forums with members who are too inexperienced or unable to undertake a search as well as not forgetting those that are too lazy and rely on others to do searches for them.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2013 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too am grateful that this subject came up. I was unaware that Google could search within PDF documents and that it indexed them behind the scenes.

Being a member of several forums on everything from cars to coffee this will save much time - I'm going to try to learn how it works; specifcally on the parts section of the technical documents here. These documents being the most eye-straining.

Perhaps - if there's someone with the expertise and the time to do it - there could be a short "sticky" post link on the Technical Documents page explaining this information in a "searching for dummies" (myself included!) format?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2013 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few comments here. I purchased a pdf search facility about a year for the Technical Library but was put off by limited satisfaction. Unfortunately, I made many of the pdfs in the TL a few years back, and the OCR filtering is not great. That meant that the searching function was not up to a suitable standard.

I’ll try it again soon, so watch this space.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2739
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2013 - 16:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps: I have contemplated converting the entire TL to htm files. I did one chapter of the SZ87 workshop manual then gave up as it was a mess. Of course, in the spare parts sections you can use the alphabetic menu as a kind of search function.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2741
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2013 - 16:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

pps: yes, Google, Yahoo and clones will find parts of the TL. That is because I have done an imbedded OCR conversion to most documents. As stated earlier, I'll try an on-page search function. To put it on each page in the TL would be a big task, so maybe we could settle on a search homepage for starters. Any ideas ?

RT.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2013 - 00:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

It would definitely be worthwhile to attempt to do OCR scans of any TL items that can conceivably have "functional output" come of that. I have been impressed at how much is already done that way. I've also been impressed at how much that technology has advanced in the last few years. I recently did a scan of the Silver Shadow II Owner's Handbook using a Canon multi-function machine that costs under $30/USD and was amazed that the OCR is as close to perfect as I could ever have hoped. It seems to work well on other stuff, too.

In actuality, having a search box on *every* page is probably overkill. It would probably be useful to have one on the home page and the main pages of each sub-section in the library. Just the one on the main page would be an excellent starter but I have the feeling that it would have a tendency to cast a slightly broader net than might generally be wanted.

Brian

Chris Browne
Frequent User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2013 - 20:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all contributors to this thread,

Put in the simplest of terms, if this forum did not exist with the ethos it has i.e. anyone can access it for information and advice, my car along with very many others I suspect, would not be on the road and functioning as well as it does. Many more would have been consigned to the great breakers yard in the sky. No-one should underestimate the vital importance of this group as there are, and always will be two types of RR & B owners; those who can easily afford to pay someone else to do all their repairs and maintenance regardless of cost and those, of which I am one, who would never be able to experience the pleasure of ownership unless they did the work themselves. More power to your elbows, gentlemen and a heartfelt thanks from one grateful fan in the UK.

Kind regards,

Chris Browne

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, 24 April, 2013 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm reviving this thread because of some back and forth I've recently had with someone who finally located this document, http://rroc.org.au/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Pre_War_Timing.pdf after doing a lot of manual digging.

This is TSD2022, but you simply can't find it using that nomenclature, or any of the key words in the document title, in any way I can find. I am presuming this is because this does not appear to be an OCR scanned document and, thus, Google and the other web search engines don't index anything related to the actual content of the file.

Is there any "direct" way to determine what file a given known TSD resides in?

Brian