RREC PUBLISHES INDEX TO THEIR DIGITIS... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RREC PUBLISHES INDEX TO THEIR DIGITISED PRE_WAR GAD ARCHIVE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, 08 March, 2010 - 10:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,

As of last week the RREC, in the UK, published an index of all of their pre-war digitised General Arrangement Drawings on their website - www.rrec.co.uk

The direct link for members is: -
www.rrec.org.uk/Member_Services/Technical/Drawings_Archive/Digital_Drawing_Archive.php

The lists are on the members' side of the site so, unfortunately, access is only available to those who belong.

The archive contains 50,676 drawings in digital format- yes, over fifty thousand drawings! The indices are available for free download to all members and drawing copies can be ordered (at a price) for any items required.

SB
www.boddice.co.uk

(Message edited by Stephe Boddice on 08 March 2010)

John Wright
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.171.195.197
Posted on Saturday, 21 May, 2011 - 11:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On 17th January I wrote to Julian Spencer of the R-REC to ask that the Index of General Arrangement Drawings should be made available to post on the R-ROC ( A) website. As this is an open website this would mean that a world wide audience would be able to access the Index, rather than just the UK Club.I imagine the US Club would also like to do likewise. The vastly increased audience would benefit the R-REC as they are still the only ones who actually have the drawings for sale. I have yet to receive official advice from the R-REC on the results of this request.
I am hoping that the R-REC/ Foundation will remember the substancial financial assistance given by the Australian Club when reaching a decision on this matter, as well as the obvious financial advantages to themselves by widening the knowledge of what is available.
The question also arises as to what the intent of the Company was in handing over these records, especially given the importance of the US market in particular to the survival of the Company.Surely it was to benefit the entire R-R and B movement not just the R-REC/Foundation.

John Wright
Federal President
R-ROC ( A )

(Message approved by david_gore)

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.98.143.86
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2011 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John

Quote,

"The question also arises as to what the intent of the Company was in handing over these records, especially given the importance of the US market in particular to the survival of the Company.Surely it was to benefit the entire R-R and B movement not just the R-REC/Foundation."

Your intent may be well founded and in the interests of owners World Wide, of that I have no doubt.

However may I respectfully suggest that you dig a little further in respect of the original earlier archive records. I know of no instance of the Company "handing over" the records, in fact totally the opposite. The company did not even exist to be in a position to hand them over, it was in receivership.

I think you will find that receiver ordered the dumping of these records, into waste skips to be exact. Perhaps you might consider thanking a few people for recovering, storing them, drying them out, providing a temporary home and then caring for them to be sourced by all of us.

I would say the question also arises as you say "As to just where were all these clubs and individuals when the records needed saving?"

john wright
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 124.171.205.175
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2011 - 08:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have now received advice that the R-REC has agreed to the posting of the Index of General Arrangement drawings on the R-ROCA website.

John Wright
Federal President
R-ROCA