Locked door Silver Shadow II 1980 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Locked door Silver Shadow II 1980 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter N Dixon
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.217.53.144
Posted on Tuesday, 05 August, 2003 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to remove the interior panel from the front passenger door with the door in the closed position. I am advised that though difficult this can be done. Can someone tell me how and which of the various fittings I need to remove from the panel itself before I start.

Thanks
Peter

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, 05 August, 2003 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It’s not all that tricky really.

Slide off the armrest, undo and remove the armrest bracket. Then gently prise off the metal covers to the window switch panel and door handle, evenly with two small knives. These panels sit inside the surrounds: do not try to prise the surrounds themselves at their edges. The panels expose the two screws on each surround for removal. Unscrew the surrounds to the window switch and door handle panels and remove them. Remove any other securing screws which may be added after delivery. If all seems clear, pull the interior panel off first from the bottom side. Once all the clips have come out, lower the panel to clear the wooden door cap and then, with the seat fully forward and tilted, slide the panel through to the rear passenger compartment unrill it is completely free. It may help to remove the rear seat base for better access.

Now, replacing the panel is one of my pet hate jobs with all those flimsy clips to align.

Good luck !

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2003 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, on a Shadow II you need to remove the dashboard veneer, then remove the top roll (dashboard top) to allow the panel to come out enough not to damage the panel. This is not as difficult as it sounds as the top roll is secured by only a few screws.

PETER DIXON
New User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2003 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for all the advice on removing the door panel of a locked front door. The task was accomplished as directed. After gaining access to the door interior and spending about 2 hours pressing, pushing, raising and lowering and staring and staring and staring at all the mechanical doo- dads I noticed a bit of a gap between the door edge and door frame. Inserting a small crow bar with a bit of paper wrapped around it I applied very gentle pressure. Needless to say the door floated open without any resistance whatsoever. The long and short of it was the door was just stuck (I believe someone did mention that possibility). I swear I had rived, tugged and pulled at the offending door handle till I was in fear of doing serious damage. On the up side the interior of the door and all its parts look like new with no rust etc. While I have the panel off I would like to service the window mechanism which on this door is a bit slow. I would greatly appreciate advice on how and what with I should carry out cleaning and lubrication.

Thanks
Peter