Mr Clive Palmer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Mr Clive Palmer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, 27 May, 2014 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Clive, everyone in Oz will think RR owners will think are we are all millionaire's even most of us aren't. For those who aren't familiar with Australian parliament this guy is a mining magnate with 130 cars. And a RR in is in his warehouse. Well the problem is he wants to support the poor and then he turns up in a RR
every news channel said it was worth 500k witch is bullshit even if lady Di sat in it ..some how I'm scared to drive it now ..I'm not sure if he supported the cause of RR or made it an embarrassment to own one .cheers rob

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert/ This is certainly NOT the place to be airing politics - we have enough rammed down our throat from the media. That said can I remind everyone that what we are driving are cars, that's all. We love them, work on them and hopefully drive them. My car, a very blue Spur is my daily transport, I always carry a prayer mat with me in case but so far the dear old thing has not let me down except that trip years ago to Parkes which we won't talk about.

Only once have I been accosted by another member of the public to the effect 'waddaya drive THAT for' with riders suggesting that I was intent on proving my superior membership of the human race, demonstrating my considerable wealth and apparent talent for sneering at the poor people. I avoided discussion on these topics and politely asked what he drove. It was a nice Holden ute in late adolescence which I admired and rudely enquired the price. Turned out it was significantly more that I paid for the Spur, which I pointed out. He left in confusion.

I love my car even when it vexes me with a new noise. I like to drive in inappropriate clothing, usually tracky daks with grease matks on the face, my hair remnants held together with a bit of dirty chassis lube and preferably unshaven! What my appearance means to viewers is of absolutely no interest to me but what is great is the enquiry about the car from a perfect stranger. He, and indeed occasionally she, of any age always admire the old girl, often ask about parts, reliability and from time to time where could they get one.

Despite my remarks. I get into my car like I get in to a well used old suit. They both smell right, look good can be admired and tend to quell my occasional regrets at being a member of the human race!

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

well said Bill,like you those little niggly things bug me too. But I must say she's a strong goer and only once the starter motor refused to turn the old girl over and a replacement sought from Robert Chapman in Vic. All RRs are wonderful old cars and I get many praises for the condition she is kept in and surprisingly mostly from young people. Bill after the 7 years of ownership I've only sworn profanity at her once or maybe twice and I took it all back ..
cheers
rob

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 547
Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to admit that the 'Green Eyed Goddess' has a lot of acolytes in the UK. The exceptions are my friends and acquaintances who know how little money I actually have. On the Continent it's a different matter. She's usually surrounded by a crowd of admirers taking her picture and I get nothing but smiles, deference when leaving side streets and 'thumbs up' from other motorists and passers by.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like your philosophy Bill, and use my Spirit for everything including collecting garden compost, deliveries to the rubbish tip and to the horror of the welding supplies depot, collecting gas cylinder refills as well as supermarket trips.I hasten to add the car is far from a showcar, but has become part of the family, nicknamed CHITTY due to the knock from the engine when cold. However despite its tired appearance the car is always being admired and people talk enthusiastically about it far more than my other SZ , Shadow and S1, which have had a fortune in time and money spent on them.Coutesy from other road users to the Crewe cars is generally good, even most HGV, but the reaction to a 50+ year old in a rubber bumper MG Midget is totally opposite, this is this car that seems to cause envy with every 50 + who seem hell bent on cutting me up in their people carriers, Nissan Micras etc,particularly if the sun is shining and the roof is down!

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.88
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Once I stopped outside a fish and chip shop

And this stupid man started loudly telling everybody that Rollers like mine are cheap and he could easily buy one if he wanted

To which I replied
Cod and chips twice please

It's pointless talking to the fool

I get this rubbish about once month

People seam surprised when I use it as a general runabout

My ddaughter had trouble with neighbours I turn up in the shadow and they are now ok

They think we're rich and being nice somehow riches will reflect

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Friday, 30 May, 2014 - 00:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It may interest you to know that SpurParts sold a brand new starter motor for the Clive Palmer PVI today from stock. After tomorrow morning it may start on the key so Mr P doesn't need another Comcar.

Vladimir Kirillov
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.170.8.22
Posted on Monday, 23 June, 2014 - 15:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, there is no doubt gentlemen that as a RR owner we are social outcasts to be ridiculed by the all knowing public. Presently, as my Camargue enjoys the peace and quiet of outback Queensland on my small property listening to the birds and kangaroos in the CBD of my town of 10 people, I am living in the back of my XF 1990 Falcon Panel van with extented bullbar that has seen two high speed collisions with cattle on the road with the accompanying crumblement of bonnet and front guards. Yes living on the streets of
Townsville like a hobo whilst looking for another mechanics job to pay off the last little bit of money on the mortgage. Now I daresay that in a year or two when I drive the Camargue down to my favourite ocean front motel to dine at the restaurant and drink a slab of Gold Beer while I stare at the ocean, I too will be accosted by the all knowing public and will have to be "ever vigilant" to make certain some clown does not mess with the Camargue. Statements like " oh I was living in the back of the pano on the streets just a year ago " would more likely be met with stares that say " just what kind of drugs is this fellow on " or the death stare usually kept for the disgusting rich. I have thought up lines like " ah but you see this is a Rolls Royce Camargue and it was only a third of the price of a real Rolls because it only has two doors." Then I thought I might get the personalized plate "HOBO" . But really nothing like that is going to work. The only way out of this ugly situation is to buy something like a white KIA or Hyundai and drive that. Yes and I would rather eat live eel raw.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, 23 June, 2014 - 16:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir where are you mate? I would like meet up. Yeah your in my backyard here in CQ

my email is robert.howlett@bigpond.com