RR363 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RR363 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
New User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2009 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone advise where I can buy RR363 in or around the Sydney area please..I am having trouble finding stockists

Thank you

Kevin

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2009 - 20:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Best go to a Castrol depot. Most distributors do not stock RR363, although I do know of a few which do, and will add a healthy surcharge for a special order from the depot.

Do ask for the trade price !

To find your nearest depot, call:

Castrol Lubricants
NSW State Office

(02) 9795 4800
132 McCredie Rd
Guildford NSW 2161

For Canberra, we go to Quenbeyan 5km away, and they have it on the shelves:

Verit Pty Ltd
(02) 6297 1653
(Castrol Oil Depot)
91 High St
Queanbeyan ACT 2620
or:
(02) 6299 2013 Phone/Fax

Kevin Lagden
New User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 05 August, 2009 - 10:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Much appreciated Richard

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, 07 August, 2009 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard will bag me, but I like being in tight places.

I found Penrite are suggesting a substitute to RR363.

They call it Brake Fluid 525. I'm not recommending it, just throwing it up for flaming or consent.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/103%20SSF%20RELEASED.pdf

Bill Coburn had something to say in his Tee One Topic # 26 back in 2003. My Google URL of that is worth a good read.

http://www.rrocavictoria.org.au/teeone-topics/uploadedFiles/1123055798875-0494.pdf

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Friday, 07 August, 2009 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Better fix the link:

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/specialty-automotive-products/brake_fluid_525

It's just the same old DOT4 stuff for your tractor or BMW.

Grüetzi und auf wiedersehen.

Peter Morgan
Yet to post message
Username: rrnut

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 09 August, 2009 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For what it's worth I asked the question of Bentley of Sydney what the difference was between the Castrol product and any Dot 4 product...was advised that it's the same as any Dot 4 BUT with a lubricant added for the pumps.

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 - 14:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Which is described in my penrite oil PDF link as
'plus 2% neat castor oil'

I can't see that on Richard's URL correction

Jan Forrest
Frequent User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

Which is described in my penrite oil PDF link as
'plus 2% neat castor oil'

There are several threads relating to the addition of castor oil to DOT4 hydraulic fluid in other topics. Some say 10% is the recomended ratio, some say you can go as high as 20% (but only in warm climates as cold will make the mixture 'clump'). There are also warnings about using 'proper' CO and you should use propoxylated something-or-other-ylated CO as it will mix better.
I wouldn't like to say who is correct, although the Citroen DS owners club say normal CO seems fine in their cars (subject to the above provisos!).

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 - 22:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This topic has been done to death. The adventurous seem to insist on using straight castor oil.

That is no good at all. It does not make a stable suspension, and the castor oil segregates where you don't want it within weeks. Hence the use of ethoxylated propoxylated castor oil, which is chemically modified castor oil, specifically altered to make it miscible with alcohol- and glycol-based products like DOT 3/4.

You can buy the stuff easily in Revesby for a start.

Maybe Penrite is experimenting too. When the solution for those prepared to take risks is here on the table, why not use it ? Also, these were never cheap cars, so why skimp on a few dollars rather than using RR363 in the first place ? Haven't we all heard enough horror tales about neglected hydraulic systems in these cars already ?

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/6687.html#POST13698

quote:

Even the Castrol RR363 data sheets now reveal, for legal reasons, that RR363 contains ethoxylated propoxylated castor oil. Straight castor oil will not combine with DOT3, 3/4, 4 or 5.1 to form a stable mix. Ethoxylated propoxylated castor oil is chemically modified castor oil, specifically altered to make it miscible with alcohol- and glycol-based products like DOT 3/4.

If you must experiment at your own risk, and beware of the implications of a safety-related failure caused by the wilful application of an unapproved concoction, then ethoxylated propoxylated castor oil is available from base chemical suppliers to the cosmetics industry.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

I wouldn't like to say who is correct, although the Citroen DS owners club say normal CO seems fine in their cars (subject to the above provisos!).

There are three factors here which I know from Citroëns themselves first-hand, as I have had quite a bit to do with the old ones over the years.

1. The Citroën club people have found out the hard way that using straight castor oil in DOT3/4 etc is not what they expected, and the Citroen publications have quietly changed their tune. The mix mentioned earlier by the Citroën people was experimental by a few enthusiasts, but the experiment was not successful medium-term.

2. Very old Citroëns like early DSs use LHS. Later Citroëns changed to LHM of course. Whilst LHS is a DOT3/4 mix developed by Total, it is a different fluid. Crewe could never use LHS as it is quite unsuitable for an SY.

3. Citroëns have conventional hydraulic pumps driven by a V-Belt, and are entirely different from ours. They are very tolerant of the fluid age and quality. They don’t need the lubrication precision that our cars need. We change our RR363 every two years, and all the hoses every 6 at the latest of course. Citroëns are invariably left to rot for as long as possible. When the mix separates out, the Citroën guys barely notice. They only found out at major overhauls, as the damage is silent on a Citroën and not catastrophic like on an SY.

Ross Rackham
New User
Username: rosco

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok, I understand now, the castor component in the fluid is for the lubrication of the pump and basically serves no other purpose. And you need the "special" version to stay in solution and not leave nasty deposits.

Sounds familiar, when I flew mineral survey we used to leave our unused drums of Avtur (Jet A) for the locals. The fuel company would never collect unused fuel in remote areas. Our engineer would always say, “Run any diesel on it but through 2 litres of engine oil in each 44 gal drum, Avtur is drier than diesel and some pumps use the fuel for lubrication”.

Does that sound like a reasonable analogy?

Cheers
Ross

Jan Forrest
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, 12 August, 2009 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Am I correct in thinking that Avtur (Jet A) is very similar to parafin/kerosene?
If so I would presume that it's a bit on the thin side to be using neat as an alternative to DERV fuel. I tend to use cleaned WVO - filtered down to sub 5 microns - in my diesel cars (current alternative to The Old Girl being a Toyota Estima Emina 8-seater MPV). Even there I thin it down with 5-10% unleaded depending on the quality of the used oil!

Ps. Any Poms know where I can source ethoxylated propoxylated CO here in Blighty?

(Message edited by Got_One on 12 August 2009)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Wednesday, 12 August, 2009 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a look at the data sheet:

http://www.rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous/castoroilredox.pdf

NOTE that this data sheet is for HYDROGENATED ethoxylated castor oil (ie 10% water) - very important as it is slightly the wrong version, but they are the same manufaturers as for the correct stuff.

See about this particular example of a supplier, Redox Pty Ltd http://redox.com/ Why not email them through the Contact page and ask for their UK partners ?

Otherise, look at Roche UK at http://www.rocheuk.com/ and try the same through their contact page ? It's only an email to try. There are numerous others.

You will see that the head office of Redox is:

Redox Pty Ltd,
2 Swettenham Road, Minto NSW 2566, Australia
Telephone +61-2-97333000

Jan Forrest
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 12 August, 2009 - 04:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ta very glad; I'll look into it