Pretentious Roller Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Pretentious Roller « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bobuk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.127.20
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2013 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently while chatting to a fellow guitar player I said that learning music theory would improve your playing.

He said that music theory stunts creativatity and that Jimi Hendrix didn't know theory.

I said that was pretentious because some of his stuff is written in a minor pentatonic blues scales .

Later he sat in my car and said " it don't get anymore pretentious than a roller bro"

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2013 - 20:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are a few in every generation who instictively know the 'rules' of musicality and where, when and how to break them. For the rest of us it is a struggle to compose anything worth listening to. Although I could once play the violin, guitar and piano I never had any real talent for music and had to sweat over learning every new piece.

Sadly my arthritis now makes it all but impossible for me to wrap my fingers around a fret board or tinkle the ivories, so I'll soon be selling my acoustic and electric guitars. My piano was sold many years ago.

Fortunately I can still drive and even maintain my Silver Shadow and will be keeping her as long as possible.

bobuk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.127.56
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2013 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To me music theory is not a set rules more like laws
like gravity.

a pitch of say 400 hz when doubled to 800 will be 1 octave higher and 600 hz will be a perfect 5th.

This are demonstrable facts that are repeatable like gravity.

The only rule in music is that there isn't any.

Nobody has ever played anything that does not fit music theory.

Every body can sing some are better than others and everybody no matter how good will be even better after training.

music is one of things that makes us different from from animals.

My dog can't tell the difference between Bach and Beethoven and Black Sabbath

Bach is the fellow who made modern music possible by inventing the evenly tempered music scale and integrating all the scales so they work together.

Try playing guitar by using DADGAD or G down to F sharp to give open D major and bottle neck the frets use reverb and a bit fuzz. Clamp the guitar flat on a table.

I use a rounded panel beaters dolly, bits of pipe and shot glass for bottle necking.

Peter Frampton advocates tuning to perfect 5ths like a voilin. I couldn't get on with this because
of no easy perfect 4ths which is essential for 90% of modern music

(Message approved by david_gore)