VIN question (?) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » VIN question (?) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Experienced User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2008 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

Last week after much search I finally purchased a Bentley Continental R, 1994 MY, produced in November 1993 from Brabo in The Netherlands. The car has a documented 25000 Miles and seems pristine. I cannot wait to get the numberplates as it still needs to be registered in the Netherlands.

I noticed something surprising about the VIN which I do not understand and maybe this list can be of help:

the VIN is SCBZB03C8RCX52020, if I am right the engine specification for this VIN corresponds to the cross-bolted crankshaft 1988 turbo engine. The car has however the newer "plastic cover" engine.

The engine has never been replaced in this car, can anybody tell me if I interpret the VIN wrongly or there is something strange in the VIN of this series which is the first with the "plastic cover".

The car was sold new to the US (Florida) in 1994.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2008 - 22:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The cross bolting started way before your car in late 1988 with chassis 23211. Yours is indeed an early 1994 model year car, probably delivered ex-works in September-October 1993.

RT.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Experienced User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2008 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much indeed!

By the way do you know if there are differences in the engine specification of the US model?

I did not think about it when I bought it, but I know that for other makes, the US emissions specification is horrendously power zapping.

No I did not notice any relevant difference between the Dutch and German cars I tried and this one, but test conditions were not ideal.

Best regards,

Lluís