Rear wheel wobble Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Rear wheel wobble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, 19 December, 2007 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1974 Shadow is exhibiting a slight “wobble” from the rear end. At first I thought it was a wheel bouncing, but it feels more like a gentle side to side wobble, or shake. I do not feel it on the steering wheel, so I’m sure it originates from the rear somewhere.

It is only noticeable at very low speeds. Once on the move it seems to disappear, although I think I can feel slight rear axle steering at higher speeds. This may however just be the Shadow’s typical light steering.

I’d like to search the Forum for advice, but I’m not sure what keywords to use in the search. Perhaps someone can offer some advice? Pitman arm perhaps?

Kind regards

KC

lucien mc fadden
Experienced User
Username: lucienm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 20 December, 2007 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings KC!:}
i recently had this problem with my 76 shadow-turned out to be one of the tires-tread looked fine,but the tread wasactually seperating from the tire and the car sort of "sashayed" or wobbled at low speed.took the whell off of the car and could see that the tread was not straight but sort of "snaked". i suggest you take a close look at the tires...

Adrian U.K.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.206.30.16
Posted on Thursday, 20 December, 2007 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Usually out of round tyre casings cause this, especially Avons. Look carefully at the tread all around for signs of tread variation.

Adrian U.K.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, 20 December, 2007 - 14:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi KC,

Start with the tyres as this is the easiest cause to check - try following your car in another vehicle while someone drives your car under conditions where you experience the "wobble" and watch closely to see if the entire wheel is moving or just the tyre.

If the entire wheel is moving, start with the rear wheel bearings and then move into the sub-frame/rear control arm bushings. also check the in-board "Detroit trunnions" for binding/coarse movement caused by excessive wear in the housings or trunnions.

Also check for corroded mounting bolt plates as described in this forum;

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/2254.html

Also Pat Lockyer's contribution on his repair:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/2407.html

Kind regards
David

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, 21 December, 2007 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much for the replies! I will start by looking at the tyres, and will report back.

Kind regards

KC

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, 21 December, 2007 - 23:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Report back: I did exactly as suggested. I got a friend to drive the car while I followed on my motorcycle. The right rear tire seems to wobble slightly, so I replaced it with the spare wheel and it definitely appears to be better. I’ll drive the car like that for a few days just to make sure, but it looks like I am in for two new tires on the rear axle.

Kind Regards

KC

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 772
Posted on Saturday, 22 December, 2007 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good news and the cost will be a lot less than it would have been if the problem was elsewhere.

Regards
David