Paint Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Paint « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.32.8
Posted on Tuesday, 26 August, 2003 - 03:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On every car forum I have browsed I have come across repainting.

The usual text is strip the car to bare metal using a chemical

I dislike doing this because of the lack of control once stripper is on the paint then you are past the point of no return.

Proper sanding equipment is better and it can be hired.

Often plastic filler will have been used in the past for body repairs and it may have been expertly done. ( properly )

Sanding allows you stop.

Why remove good substrate and replace it.

Depends on the condition of the paint.

Any comments --abuse.

Tip with old cars.
when removing glass I find it easier to cut the rubber with a craft knife.
this removes the risk of breaking the glass.
I have seen glass broken only to find that the rubber is shot anyway.
but do check availabilty.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, 26 August, 2003 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further to Bob's comments re paint stripping, the presence of aluminium panels on Shadows presents an additional problem as the Aluminium will react with any water-based caustic chemicals in the stripping solution and the panels are also prone to damage if sand/glass bead blasting is used. Power sanding can also result in distortion of the metal due to overheating if too much pressure is used to speed up the paint removal. In this situation, the time [and additional cost] of hand sanding is more than justified.

In all cases, the most important objective is to reduce the paint thickness to a level which will reduce the incidence of craze-cracking of the new paint over time.