Steering Wheel Boss Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Steering Wheel Boss « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Kentwell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.45.237.35
Posted on Saturday, 03 May, 2003 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

I'm trying very hard to locate a Momo steering wheel boss kit to suit my SS2 but am not having much luck. Momo ceased producing the kit some time ago. I have come across a very attractive wood grain, 4 spoke steering wheel with leather grips that I would like to fit. Anyone got any ideas?

Secondly, how would I go about finding out how many 1980 SS2s were delivered new to Australia?

Finally, my car goes in next week for the suggestions on eliminating the vibration and wind noise - I'll let you know how it went.

Many thanks - I find this forum extremely interesting.

Pete Kentwell
3/5/03

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 03 May, 2003 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pete,

I doubt if you will find the Momo boss to suit a R-R/B as the main alternative steering wheel was a Nardi as fitted to the early Corniches. I have been advised a Bently Turbo leather grip wheel can be fitted to a Shadow but have not tried this or know anyone who has.

The best source of information on the delivery of 1980 Shadow II's to Australia would be the Hunt House archives in the UK. The demise of York Motors has resulted in their delivery records for NSW being inaccessible until we find out who has them if they were preserved at all. There also has been some imports of second-hand Shadow II's from overseas that would be additional to the factory shipments.

Robin Hickman
Yet to post message
Username: rhickman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 06 May, 2003 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Pete,
With regard to the steering wheel, I think you have a good chance of success. Rolls-Royce used 2 or 3 differnet types of splines over the Shadow series, but I believe all were interchangeable with other British car type splines. For example, I found the splines on the steering column of my '74 Corniche matched those of a MkI Cortina. I know someone else with a Shadow who found an aftermarket wheel boss to fit (but not Mark I Cortina).
The aftermarket steering wheels are sold separately to the bosses, as you probably already know, so that you choose the steering wheel you want and then purchase the adaptor boss to suit your steering column splines.
My suggestion is to remove the shroud and steering wheel from your car, and then refit your steering wheel so that it only requires undoing the nut to take it off again. Then drive your car to your local, friendly, aftermarket steering wheel stockist, remove the steering wheel and take it into the store to try and obtain a visual match to an adaptor boss. Then take this boss out to your car (confirm first with sales assistant to ensure you do not get arrested for shoplifting) and check on the fit to your steering column. (Even if the spline fitting is correct, other dimensions or cleareances might not be suitable).

With regards to records of Shadow II's delivered new to Australia, I believe that the 'Sir Henry Royce Foundation Australia' has acquired all the York Motors records, and the information you require is possibly available (for a fee).
Also this information could well be also available from within the club membership, but I doubt those with that information would divulge it unless it was to a known member of the club.
There is unlikely to be any comprehensive record of other secondhand Shadows brought in to the country.

Peter Brian Kentwell
Yet to post message
Username: pete_kentwell

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 10 May, 2003 - 13:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robin - I think I may have found the kit that I'm looking for through "Introcar" in London and I'm still awaiting a response from the Huntley House people. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Pete Kentwell
10/5/03

Richard Treacy
Yet to post message
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2003 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is your price range ? Introcar offer a wooden wheel for £445 ready to fit.

RT-

Peter Brian Kentwell
Yet to post message

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 11 May, 2003 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a bit more than I wanted to pay - the one that I'm looking at is only $220, with the boss being about $100 - but thanks for the thought Richard.

Regards

Pete Kentwell

Peter Kentwell
Yet to post message

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 18 June, 2003 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All (& especially Rob)

The Cortina Mark 1 Boss Kit fitted and I now have the new wheel on the car! I've just driven to and from Canberra and can't believe the difference that a modern wheel makes.

Anyway, many thanks for all the tips.

Pete

Jon Rothwell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 61.9.128.174
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2003 - 22:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just got a nice wooden steering wheel off eBay for AU$70 and a new Mk 1 Cortina boss for AU$120 for my 1975 Silver Shadow. It is a perfect fit but I will need to add some wiring for the horn, a pin for the self cancelling indicators, and some additional shrouding as the boss is smaller than the RR hub. The boss was an Australian supplied SAAS unit. The wheel is about 14" which makes the steering much nicer.

Jon Rothwell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 61.9.128.174
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2003 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just for imformation, the SAAS boss number is 13-BK13L, and it suits Ford Capri and Cortina. The self cancelling indicator pin and horn wiring were a 30 minute job.