R Type Starter motor brushes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » R Type Starter motor brushes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.29.162.40
Posted on Tuesday, 08 July, 2003 - 15:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

rebuilding a starter motor at the moment, anybody know of a source for the brushes in Oz? The local auto elec guy has looked through the lucas book, and can't find anything the corresponds to the correct size.

Martin taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.96.140.168
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2003 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can go to a carbon brush manufacturer, In New Zealand I use "carbon brush supplies ltd" I work with elevators and they will match any brush I can provide a worn sample of in consistency and dimensions, this is for any electric motors (some of our DC machines date back as far as the 1930's)

Martin Cutler
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.29.162.40
Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2003 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Martin, after the auto elec said he couldn't find any suitable, he came up with a set from Melbourne, so all is sorted. Will put it back together tomorrow. The reduction gears have grease on them, but the casing has an oiler. Will pack them in grease, and go from there.

Bill vatter
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 67.35.51.118
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2003 - 00:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Faced this problem before. Simple generic solution:

Buy brushes larger than necessary and machine them to the size you need.