Balance Pipes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Balance Pipes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Yet to post message
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, 14 June, 2003 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My new beast with a non-catalytic exhaust system and no egr or air pumps has had the balance pipe removed from between the two exhaust systems and the holes welded up. What is the purpose of the fitting? One side effect I suspect is that each exhaust pipe produces a noise vaguely like a motor bike when idling which at worst is odd.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, 14 June, 2003 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

I used to have a dual exhaust XY Falcon 351 Cleveland and the purpose of the balance pipe was to even out the exhaust pressure pulses to minimise back pressure, give better scavenging of the cylinders and to prevent harmonic vibration at specific gas flows. All very well from a technical viewpoint but the side effect was more important, the exhaust had the most magnificent throaty throb on acceleration and a "burble" on trailing throttle that had you deliberately using the gears for braking just to enjoy the sound!!!

I would re-instate the balance pipe pronto to smooth out the exhaust note and also reduce harmonic vibrations in each pipe - have you noticed any resonance effects at various speeds when driving the car - I will be surprised if you haven't.

Of course, you wouldn't be thinking of fitting some sports mufflers as well???????? Perhaps if it was a Bentley!!! The legacy of a misspent youth.

Richard Treacy
Yet to post message
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 14 June, 2003 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

As Jon says, the balance pipe smooths the flow and is carefully positioned and dimensioned to do this. They soften the air pressure pulsations in the main part of the system.

They are also part of the emission control regime, and have no drawbacks except for aceess restriction.

Most manufacturers had been applying balance pipes for many years before R-R explored them while developing the Turbo motor. It was then that they realised the benefit as most R-R dual systems were acknowledged as being hit and miss affairs until then. Hence the introduction on the SZ cars shortly before the Turbos hit the scene.

The tuning went so far that Turbo cars had three exhaust manifolds by 1987: right bank 4 portmanifold, left bank one three port manifold plus one single port manifold. Of course on Turbos the exhausts from all cylinders are fully mixed and then split into two again, so balancing is automatically achieved, and the downpipes are dimensioned and tuned for proper mixing.

I would visit Powatone in Colliw St, Fyshwick if I were you. They will fit one in minutes for a very low price. They have given us great service over the years, and manufactured a full stainless system for the R-Type with flexible bellows at the downpipes, and have replaced parts on the T-Series exhaust several times, always with great results (all disclaimers apply of course).

RT.

Richard Treacy
Yet to post message
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 14 June, 2003 - 21:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry: I meant as David says, and it's Collie St Fyshwick of course.

RT.

Bill Coburn
Yet to post message
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, 15 June, 2003 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you both. Richard every time you write about a turbo I thank God I don't have one - perhaps if I was 20 years younger!!! Just sorted out the embuggerance with the accumulators. The Factory boxed gas springs in accumulator boxes and being only vaguely familiar with both I did not twigg to the significance of the size difference. Anyway all back together although I miss those pretty lights when I put the brakes on. Caster bushes next then engine mounts, right rear inner control arm swivel (rotted as usual). the left hand mirror wiggles left to right but not up and down (any clues there?) and I think the front rubber thingame that used to be a universal joint on the prop shaft has a crack in it. But it has a magnificent paint job!!! And working in an open carport at eight degrees Celcius is one of my newest perversions. I am thinking of doing it naked just for kicks!