Shadow I A/C Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Shadow I A/C « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William Trovinger
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.31.134.127
Posted on Saturday, 02 August, 2003 - 04:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having been attempting to track down a short/problem on my '76 Shadow's (SRE23726) air-conditioning system electrical. David was giving me some pointers and I understand he left on holiday.

Whenever the control is moved for the upper unit the fuse blows (number 11 on the panel). In trying to find the problem I have removed the switch unit and with the help of a friend repaired a burnout on the board, for the "G-P" wire on the LH connector. This restored lost power to the switch but still is popping fuses the moment power is applied.

Have tried running a continuity test on the loom connectors with car's ground. This shows several wires in the loom including the "G-P" wire have continuity with the vehicles ground. Assumed that this might be due to the fact that some of the actuators are trying to operate. So started to disconnect all. When hunting the 9 actuators (shown on the drawing) down I discovered that I do not have a "suction valve" actuator or for that matter a suction valve. The loom connector is there as are mounting holes for the actuator but that is all.

Until last summer the air worked fine and this valve and actuator have not been removed in the years I have owned the car. I am third owner. Is this valve required or is it possible that during some earlier ownership the system was altered so as not to require this?

William Trovinger
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 02 August, 2003 - 11:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Need even more help on this Please! Can anyone tell me where the "Water Tap Relays" are located on the vehicle, '76 LH drive Shadow? I see them on the wiring diagram but can not find in the car.

Wiliam Trovinger
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 03 August, 2003 - 15:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This problem just gets better and better! Can anyone help me on the specs of the diodes for the A.C.U. on the fuse board? Also the one diode on the back of the A.C.U./Heater control? I am hoping these are not a RR only part! :-)

Bill Coburn
Frequent User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, 03 August, 2003 - 23:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can help with the suction throttling valve. Many of these were modified to give a standard gas release which was of course not adjustable.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, 07 August, 2003 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Diodes are standard Radio Shack - there is a post on the RROC[USA] Public Forum which gives more details - I am away from home at present with no records to access details and with limited opportunities to access Internet - rating is 1 Amp/100V - polarity is important when replacing diodes to avoid flat battery.

William H. Trovinger II
New User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2003 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Conclusion

First off let me thank everyone for the responses and help the problem is fixed knock on wood!

It turns out that the problem was a bad diode. This caused all the problems. What showed, as continuity to ground was merely feed back from the relays in the system. When relays where isolated from the wiring there was no ground issue. For informational purposes the relays (Water tap 2, defogger, headlamp and horn) are located in a relay box under the right hand duct and secured to the bulkhead (firewall). These are a real pain to get to!

In doing all the testing I made an MS Excel work sheet up, to show where and what each wire, diode, connector and motor do. I do not know how to post the sheet here so have past a copy along to David via email.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2003 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill,

We appreciate information such as this for the benefit of others.