Windows slow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Windows slow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

steve phillips (68.56.14.80)
Posted on Sunday, 29 December, 2002 - 01:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi there, have a 76 silver shadow with very very slow electric windows, does anyone have any clue as to how to speed them up.

bob (213.123.75.192)
Posted on Sunday, 29 December, 2002 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Steve.

Slow windows on Shadows is well known about.
It is caused by 2 things

Stiff mechanics and low volts and amps at the motors.

The stiff mechanics are easy to repair because the mechanism is well designed and robust and also quite powerful--- well it would be if the electrics had had the same attention to detail.

The electrics is the weak point. What happens is that the sparks have to travel through 4 switches and lots of connectors via wiring that is long and too thin.

The further the window from the drivers windows the worse it gets.

Measure the voltage at the motors with a digital voltage meter and anything less than 9 volts while loaded with window going up means you have a bad connection ----------somewhere.

How to repair.

The idea is to feed the motors with direct battery voltage and use the existing wiring to operate relays.

Each door will require 2 --------5 pin relays 20 amp spot lamps relays ideal. these relays fit in the doors close to the motors on a nicely home made bracket. The wires to the motor ----yellow and yellow black go to the windings on the relays.

The motor wires go to the relay switch and so does a 50 amp rated ring main which goes to all the doors ( fused).

Also the earth to the doors has to be good.

The 4 window fuses in the drop down fuse board under the dash should now be replaced with 3 amp rated.

I believe there is a better explanation available from this forum with diagrams and part numbers .

Help required from the forum bosses here please.

Bill Coburn (203.51.30.138)
Posted on Sunday, 29 December, 2002 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The reference you are looking for is

RROC(A) Web Forum: Technical Forum: Silver Spirit, Spur & later: Slow windows on your SZ car ? By Richard Treacy (195.232.90.66) on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:05 pm:

Courtesy of Richard Vaughan in the USA (RROC Inc) , I have implemented a thoroughly worthwhile modification on my Turbo R, SCBZSOTO9HCH20037, which has dramatically improved the performance of the window lifts from being mediocre and unacceptable to outstanding. This is so successful that I am posting this publically.

Hmmmmmmmm starting to look like all this mechanical erudition needs to be indexed somehow. No Chris I am not suggesting you do it!!!

richard treacy (217.162.169.158)
Posted on Sunday, 29 December, 2002 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can e-mail the schematics and instructions if you wish. The problem is rarely a mechanical one and is easily fixed with this minor electric mod. I have done mine and a few for my mates already with great success.

Regards,

Richard.

richard.treacy@bluewin.ch

Lance Mueller
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.242.195.58
Posted on Thursday, 04 May, 2006 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any help would be appreciated. I have looked for info on slow windows on my 1992 Silver Spur II and am always directed to Mr Treacy's solution. The heading does not include my vehicle as applicable so simply will it work with my vehicle also or is there a different fix.

Thanks you.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, 05 May, 2006 - 15:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can I suggest your next stop is a competant electrics man. He will tell you whether it will work or not.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, 05 May, 2006 - 20:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lance,

I must confirm that the mods described do not apply your 30,000-series car. These later cars have a fancy window control ECU, one-shot windows, and already have local repeater relays.

The only way forward will be to do voltage checks to determine whether you have cabling problems, bad relays, window motor problems or otherwise. If you measure 10 Volts across the window lift motor while lifting, then the lift motor or mechanism probably need a good clean out.

Lance
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.200.149.95
Posted on Sunday, 14 May, 2006 - 21:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First, thanks to all who have tried to help in the past. Also, please note that on the 1992 Silver Spur II, the thin wires, relay, etc problems appear to have been addressed (thanks R Treacy for that info). Even so, I have put power directly from the battery to the window motor and still very, very slow to stop on the way up (very fast on the way down both with direct battery as well as with switch). This leads me to belive that issue is after power into window motor.

I have taken out and apart the window motor and gear box (hope that is the right term) and found the rubber(?) bushing to be split and chipped away - will replace that shortly. Just as importantly though when I pull the window chain by hand it is very difficult to go up - seems to be much more than just the window weight. I have greased, lubed all but it still seems to be that possibly too much strength is needed to push window up. Windows are slow on front drivers and passangers side but ok in back.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Should moving the window up require more power to lift than just the weight of the window? Would the cracked bushing stop mechanism from pushing this weight up? Are there any schematics out there that show how to adjust window to track properly. Thanks for any help!

(Message approved by david_gore)