4 x Rolls Royce barn find What are they? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » 4 x Rolls Royce barn find What are they? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2006 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All, I stumbled across four Rolls Royce's today in a farmers field. They were just waisting away. Can anyone identify the two that did not have covers on them by the pictures below? I am going back to see the owner to get some more info, have a better look and see if they are for sale.
Many thanks Mark

What model and year are these cars?

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2006 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the other car.
Any ideas?

Stephe Boddice
Experienced User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2006 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Judging by the radiators and position of the lights they would both seem to be 20/25s. If you have any success with the owner and need some help then e-mail me. I am based in Worcs, GB.

SB

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2006 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for your prompt reply. I know its hard to say without seeing the cars but do you have an idea what a 20/25 is worth in this condition? I will get more photos when I can but was just curious. I took a picture if the red RR next to it and this seemed to have large spoked wheels. Any idea on this one? Thanks Mark

wheel

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2006 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

red wheel

Arthur Francis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.67.65.166
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2006 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like a 20/25 with a replica open drive limousine body to me.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2006 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Artillery wheels?? On a four-wheel braker? And those radiators are surprisingly shiny.

I have to confess when I first saw this topic I thought "Hoax!" It's all a bit too good to be true. Many RR enthusiasts dream about such "barnyard" discoveries, so four in one go is, well...

So what's under the other tarps? One looks to be a very bright red. How long have they been in that paddock?

We need more information!

Stephe Boddice
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2006 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

I'm pleased to see that you live in Australia - and I don't! If this is not a hoax then I hope that Mark needs some help to sort things out.

I think we should be told...
(As they say in Privaye Eye)

SB

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2006 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,
NO this is not a hoax! I went back to the farm today but the owner was not there. I left my business card so I am waiting for him to call me back. I had another look at the cars and they all seem to have engines and gearboxes. I did not want to start taking off tarps without the owners permission but I am really keen to see what the red car looks like. All the others have wire wheels were this has what look like wooden ones.
Can somebody give me an idea of value for some of these cars in the condition the pictures show? If the cars are for sale I do not want to pay over the odds and valuation is not my strong point. If the farmer says what will you give I will have no idea and I also don't wish to insult him.
Here are a couple of more pictures. Will try and get more information after the weekend.
Thanks for all your help. Mark
4 cars

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2006 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

inside car one

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2006 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

rear car one

Stephe Boddice
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2006 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

It is very difficult trying to give you a value guide on these cars, especially not knowing anything about them. No pre-War coachbuilt wreck will show a profit after restoration if the job is done even half-decently. These cars are worth what you are willing to pay and the owner willing to accept. History of the individual chassis, whether original bodies, matching chassis/part numbers, if they had famous previous owners, etc, all play a part in the poker game.

Assuming that the 20/25s have most major components attached, and taking the Real Car Co prices as a guide, you would be looking at £5,000-£10,000 per rolling chassis. To put restoration into perspective, you are looking at engine rebuild costs of about £4,000 for parts and machining (assuming the block and head are OK) PLUS £5-10,000 labour. Then there is the rest of the chassis plus the bodywork, glass, trim and the cost of the missing bits.

If the other two chassis are SG, PI or PII then you can multiply the above guess by at leat 2 or 3 times - and that is if the owner is a realist.

If you can get under these figures then consider yourself a lottery winner.

Keep us posted...

SB

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2006 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, maybe you could look for chassis plates on the firewalls, and get us some numbers. The suspense is killing me!

This raises two questions. 1. How could anyone leave one RR in a paddock to rot, let alone four? 2.Why hasn't anyone discovered them before?

I really hope the cars can be salvaged before they return to the earth.

Mark Anson
Prolific User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2006 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did try to look at the chassis plate on the silver car but I was trying to fend off a mad vicious farm dog whilst struggling with the bonnet. The hinges had rusted and the bonnet would not bend.
I tried phoning the owner but he is away for the weekend. I have since found a silver cloud on someones drive way and I am more interested in this as I need it for a wedding car. I will however keep up the search for info and prices.

Would anybody be possibly interested in purchasing any of these chassis/cars? Obviously subject to more information, photos and chassis details being provided etc.
Let me know. You can email me direct if you wish at this address.
rolls(at symbol)classicbridalcars.net
Cheers Mark