Front Brake discs on a Bentley Contin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Front Brake discs on a Bentley Continental « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Constantine
New User
Username: theo

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 12 December, 2020 - 03:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone. Has anyone replaced the front discs on a Bentley Continental and how much of a job is it. Does the system need bleeding afterwards? any advice would be greatly appreciated

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 732
Posted on Saturday, 12 December, 2020 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

VIN number would be helpful but I'm assuming that you're talking about Continental 1985 onwards.

Replacement of front brake discs is an easy job that involves simply removing the wheel, then the 2 brake calipers, then remove the hub bearing dust cover, then the split pin that holds the bearing nut, then the bearing nut and washers and the disc should simply slide off. There's a dowel in the stub axle that simply lifts out.

Removing the calipers involves detaching the brake lines so you will need to bleed the system afterwards and you will need to depressurise the system before you start and to screw blanking plugs onto the open ends of the brake lines and into caliper inlets to stop crud getting in while doing the work.

This would be a good time to thoroughly inspect and clean the calipers and replace piston seals if necessary. You will also need to fit new wheel bearings and hub seals, the bearing race needs to be pressed into the new disc and the bearings will need to be properly greased. Pressing in the new bearing races is the hardest part of the job and if you don't have a hydraulic press your local garage will probably do it for you at a small charge.

Each bearing and bearing race come as a set so don't mix them up. You will also need new brake pads to go with the new discs. Brake discs often wear down early if the caliper pistons are sticking or seized so be sure that your calipers are serviceable before you fit the new discs.

Installation of the new discs is simply the reverse of removal and don't forget the dowel on the stub axle. Carefully tighten the bearing retaining nut until the wheel becomes too stiff to spin freely and then turn the nut back the minimal amount so that the new split pin slides through the holes in the bearing nut and stub axle, then bend the ends of the split pin neatly around the sides of the nut.

Check that the wheel rotates freely and rock it with your hands at 3 & 9 o'clock and 12 & 6 o'clock to ensure that there is absolutely no play.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 733
Posted on Saturday, 12 December, 2020 - 05:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot to mention that you should also clean the stub axle and apply a good dollop of new grease to the stub axle before pushing on the new disc with new bearing race & seals inserted, then insert the new bearing onto the stub axle and push it into place inside the disc.

Also make sure that all washers are replaced in their original positions so it helps to take pictures as you remove stuff so you can follow the reverse sequence on re-installation. Also, the stub axle/bearing nut on the left hand side will be reverse thread similar to the wheel nuts if my memory serves me correctly.

George Constantine
New User
Username: theo

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, 12 December, 2020 - 22:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Larry, Thanks for the detailed advice.

I'm actually enquiring om behalf of a friend. I think the car is a Bentley Continental GT, the VW model. I will not be able to confirm this until Monday when I can speak to him though.

Many thanks for any advice in the meantime

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, 12 December, 2020 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it's the later VW model I haven't a clue, I've never been within an asses roar of one. There may be ECU considerations and brake pad wear sensors to disconnect and reconnect. Perhaps if you post the question in the technical section "post 2000" you may get better advice from someone more familiar with these later models.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: