Vibration & Front Door Rubbers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Vibration & Front Door Rubbers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Kentwell
Posted on Sunday, 06 April, 2003 - 17:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All

I have a 1980 Series 2 which has this incredibly annoying vibration from about 90Klms upwards. It feels like drive train and I am just about to have the axles reversed to see if this will fix it. Locating the problem has been a long process of elimination, ranging from wheels, balancing the drive shaft,replacing engine mounts,front suspension, steering rack, aircon unit etc. If anyone else may have had similar problems, I'd love to hear about it. Also, I was wondering whether anyone knows if there is anywhere that sells front door rubbers for a reasonable price - or is wind noise above 100 Klms the norm around the top rear front doors?? Many thanks

David Gore
Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2003 - 17:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

Could be anything from universal joints through to compliance cushions including sagged/bent rear springs. Unfortunately, I am away from home with limited access to the internet to reply in more detail.

Could one of our Shadow participants pick up on this for me if possible to help Peter otherwise I will be able to assist after Easter?

The Crewe Spares distributors have a retro-fit window seal kit for the Shadows that eliminates the wind noise problems - replacing the original seals does not solve the problem and the kit forms a "double seal" with the original seal to stop the noise. Worth every cent of the price according to members who have fitted these kits.

Richard Treacy
Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2003 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there,

Swappomg the half shafts is indeed the best bet first.

When you swap the drive shafts, check the flanges for loosness. Each flange is located on the drive shaft by the hub by a Woodruff key which is notorious for wear and to cause vibration on all Shadows and most non-Turbo SZ cars too. The flange nut on your car should be tightened to 500 ft-lb - yes 500 ! The Woodruff key was replaced by splined hubs on Turbo cars, a much better arrangement, located by a circlip and a nut torqued to only 80 ft-lb. I have just replaced the wheel bearings and rubber boots on the rear of my Turbo R which is similar to your car but a bit easier as it has splines. With a very large 1" drive socket, working on the hubs of your car is reasonably easy.

With Avon tyres, and particularly with the larger 255.65x15 tyres on the Turbos, but also on your Shadow, the tyres are often impossible to balance without a special electronic on-car balancer which loads the tyres while balancing. For this reason, we run Bridgestones on our T-Series and Michelin 17" on the Turbo R. When I swapped to the new Turbo RT wheels and tyres on the Turbo R all the vibrations vanished. That was after spending thousands to rebuild hubs, replace CV joints, axles and flanges in vain. Best is to borrow a friends wheels from a vibration-free car and see what happens.

Good luck. I hate vibrations too.

On window seals, I have fitted UT13535UT Crewe secondary seals to all the doors of our T-Series and Turbo R, eliminating all wind noise on both cars. New front door seals cost around A$ 200 each in the UK, and secondary seals A$90. Spend the cash and forget the problem I say.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2003 - 21:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there,

Swappimg the half shafts is indeed the best bet first.

When you swap the drive shafts, check the flanges for loosness. Each flange is located on the drive shaft by the hub by a Woodruff key which is notorious for wear and to cause vibration on all Shadows and most non-Turbo SZ cars too. The flange nut on your car should be tightened to 500 ft-lb - yes 500 ! The Woodruff key was replaced by splined hubs on Turbo cars, a much better arrangement, located by a circlip and a nut torqued to only 80 ft-lb. I have just replaced the wheel bearings and rubber boots on the rear of my Turbo R which is similar to your car but a bit easier as it has splines. With a very large 1" drive socket, working on the hubs of your car is reasonably easy.

With Avon tyres, and particularly with the larger 255.65x15 tyres on the Turbos, but also on your Shadow, the tyres are often impossible to balance without a special electronic on-car balancer which loads the tyres while balancing. For this reason, we run Bridgestones on our T-Series and Michelin 17" on the Turbo R. When I swapped to the new Turbo RT wheels and tyres on the Turbo R all the vibrations vanished. That was after spending thousands to rebuild hubs, replace CV joints, axles and flanges in vain. Best is to borrow a friends wheels from a vibration-free car and see what happens.

Good luck. I hate vibrations too.

On window seals, I have fitted UT13535PB Crewe genuine secondary seals to all the doors of our T-Series and Turbo R, eliminating all wind noise on both cars. New front door seals cost around A$ 200 each in the UK, and secondary seals A$90. Spend the cash and forget the problem I say.

RT.

Peter Kentwell
Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2003 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for the tips - I'll get back to you all when done (should be only a couple of weeks). In the meantime, have a great Easter.

Peter Kentwell

Peter Brian Kentwell
Yet to post message
Username: pete_kentwell

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 10 May, 2003 - 12:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I got my car back this morning after having the half shafts reversed and there is absolutely no vibration!

Great advice and much appreciated.

Regards

Pete Kentwell
10/5/03