Gutsing differentials Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Gutsing differentials « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 446
Posted on Tuesday, 14 June, 2005 - 23:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have noticed and it has been confirmed by much more luminarious (?) individuals than I, that there is a tendency for oil placed in the rear axle trunnions on Shadows and early Spirits to migrate to the differential casing. Only tonight I opened the drain plug on an early Shadow and got almost a cupfull of OEP 90 out of the diff when I removed the filler plug! Both trunnions were dry! I had certainly filled them (150ml each) at their last service. Advice or prognostications as appropriate!!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, 15 June, 2005 - 12:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

I noticed this on DRH14434 as well however I cannot explain how the oil gets into the diff as I would expect centrifugal force would hold the oil in the rubber boot while the car was moving then allow the oil to run down over the trunnions when it stopped ready for the next drive. The oil would collect at the half-shaft end of the boot and then spin up the boot as the car accelerated from rest.

One of life's little mysteries I guess and shows the need for regular additions of oil to the trunnions.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, 15 June, 2005 - 23:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah David the access is no problem. There is a breather hole through the trunnion spline that fits into the diff. I wonder whether it would be an idea to block it off. The diff itself has a breather and if pressure builds up in the trunnion it will merely expand the boot - I think?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 804
Posted on Thursday, 16 June, 2005 - 02:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My thoughts precisely, Bill. Bung them up. The SZ CV joints rely on the boot to expand and contract, although the boots (convoluted seals) are a little softer to be fair, but then the CV's volume is smaller which compensates.

Maybe your driver goes hard cornering on bumpy roads ? That would make the breather into a pump outlet as the Detroit Joint allows the changes in axle length with oil sloshing against the breather hole ???

phil sproston
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.206.242.71
Posted on Wednesday, 15 June, 2005 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill Remember to check the diff breather also use EP 85-140 oil in half shafts is nice and thick and also gets rid of noises

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, 16 June, 2005 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phil

Thanks done that, breather free and always use diff oil in the trunnions.

Get yourself registered and save David effort!!

Richard think I will bung them up. Have to replace all the uni joints on a T2 and will reverse the half shafts and fit new seals while I am at it. Then I will bung up the 'oles!!!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, 17 June, 2005 - 00:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

I would bung them up with RTV Silastic. At least then they would blow out in an overpressure situation.

RT.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, 17 June, 2005 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good thinking number one.