Nitrous Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Nitrous « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 19:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At first I thought this was a joke. Apparently not. Has anyone tried it?

http://performance.drivewire.com/forcedinduction/rollsroycenitroussystem.html

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Consider the site's copy:
"for your Rolls Royce Silver Shadow car or pickup truck"

My Silver Shadow pickup truck has always lacked power, so I really think this may fix it. Bubba had his done and he says it goes "real purty" now.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2006 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I avoided Laughing Gas (NO2) and settled for the dentist's drill wide awake. These silly sites offer gimmicks randomly for many makes and models. My 3,500HP Phantom SUV is fine without too.

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2006 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can see the advertising campaign now. "Are you are Silver Cloud owner who's tired of constantly being blown away at the traffic lights by Turbo R's. We may have the solution!"

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2006 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm proud of you Mark.
Your sense of humour is as sick as mine.

Paul Dabrowski
Experienced User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2006 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe this kit was what was in the this Shadow to explain its rapid rate during this race. The bodyguard did say it was 'stock'....

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Thursday, 07 September, 2006 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nitrous or NOS works well in boosting performance.

I have worked on a few cars and motorbikes with nitrous and I found that the best set ups are the ones that gradually apply the nitrous.

What happens is that when the full throttle is applied the nitrous and extra fuel kicks in at a low level and if the throttle is kept on full the rate of application is increased over a period of about 2 seconds.

The first bit is set for about 10% extra power which then increases to 100% extra over a 2 second period

If the system is set for 100% imediately the car becomes un-drivable and the snatch loads tear up the transmission.

So often the all or nothing system is set down to say 25% to stop gearboxes falling apart and rear tyres being shreded.

Where as the guadual systemm gives the driver time to feel what is going on and back off.

I dislike nitrous because I have seen a few mistakes made resulting in seriously wreaked engines. I saw a motor bike with the cylinder head wrapped around the top tube of the frame, that blow up wreaked the frame as well.

And running out of boost side of fuel while on boost usually results in melted pistons very fast.

But it is the cheapest way to get lots of extra power. Normally methods of getting an extra 25% results in a very amount of work and money getting 100% means open cheque book surgery.

In 1966 a Shadow was entered for a rally it had holes cut in the bonnet for the exhaust pies which ran over the roof. The car did not finish.

(Message approved by david_gore)

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2006 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I agonized over the color," Ed Micol says of his 1938 Rolls Royce dubbed "Damn Yankee."
http://info.detnews.com/joyrides/story/index.cfm?id=303

http://www.hotrodparts.com/rollsbentleyparts/

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2006 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ed Micol and hot rod parts deserve to be flayed alive and have their private parts fed to the sharks.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2006 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ROLLS ROYCE custom chop top low rider - JPY45000
http://tokyo.craigslist.org/car/193098037.html

Liberace's Fabulous Car Collection
http://www.bobsliberace.com/museum/museum.2.html

Rolls Royce
http://www.personalscubainstruction.com/divesites/PalmBeach/RollsRoyce.html

PICS OF 27 LITRE ROLLS ROYCE METEOR ENGINE INSTALLATION.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?p=11&f=23&t=245424&h=0

Rolls-Royce Griffon Engine
http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0325.html

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2006 - 15:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anyone who actually uses the term 'classy' is incapable of grasping the concept, and here we have an example of such a person.

It's scary that the colour Mr Micol chose is perilously close to the colour of my 1924 20HP (in bright sunlight).

GDK35

To be fair, of course, we can assume that the car would have been a total wreck and completely unsalvageable otherwise. Hopefully he'll keep the bonnet closed and replace those damn' ugly wheels.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2006 - 00:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My question is, and noting how in the past, many cars were restored from bare chassis. Is there such a thing as an unsalvageable wreck?

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2006 - 01:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

31 EX (Codenamed Spectre for this series and eventually called the Phantom 111)was involved in a major accident during company testing in France in November 1935. The car was originally considered beyond repair. It was rebuilt by the company however and was used as a company car during the years of 1944-45 and was eventually sold to a Mr. F.F. Thompson in 1945 (Photo and information as taken from The Rolls-Royce 40/50 hp Ghosts, Phantoms and Spectres by W J Oldham).

Noting how badly damaged the car was just proves how just about anything can be restored if you have the time and resources (and bucket loads of money) to do it.

And why not Save Shadows and Spirits?

Some may say that there were loads of Shadows made but there were only 20,000 of them. By car manufacturing standards, that's still rare if you consider how many millions of General Motors and Ford products are out there.

My hope is, that in 1,000 years time, every museum in the world will have a pristine example of each model of Rolls-Royce built and they will be proudly displayed as the ultimate in 20th Century engineering and an Icon equalled only by those of ancient Egypt.

What? Who said I was crazy!

(Message edited by Robert Wort on September 11, 2006)

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2006 - 01:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

'Klassy' with a capital K! note the matching Harley

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2006 - 01:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buying this one are you Mark?

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2006 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To think, its not even a common old Shadow, but a HJ Mulliner two door. It was probably won in a bar brawl! On the bright side the subtle modifications look reversable.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 645
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2006 - 15:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Did you take this photo? I am puzzled by the matt finish of the paintwork on the body.

Given the inherent problems of getting paint to adhere to stainless steel, the brightwork should revert to its original finish quite quickly if the car is exposed to the weather for any length of time.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, 11 September, 2006 - 22:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What about the problems getting purple to adhere to whitewalls??

The photo was taken at the Shannons wheels display on the Canberra leg of the Centennial World tour in March 2004. The matt paint job was pretty rough with overpsray extending onto the glass (helps keep the sun off the leather). The interior of the car looked reasonably original.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2006 - 03:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Absolutely any wreak can be restored to as new condition.

But is it worth it.

To a restore a tatty Shadow costs more than the car is worth throw in some accident damage and the costs esculate.

I have seen cars that ar bent double repaired because of the high value of the car. And other cars that are still drivable and in daily use scrapped because of the low value.

Shadows fall into the latter catagory it does not take much to write a Shadow off a bent grill wing and bonnet and the car is a write off.

I have an agreed value insurance on my car of £10,000. This means that if the car is going to cost more than £10,000 to repair then they write it off and pay me £10,000.

The Purple HJM looks easy to restore,. but it is probaly horible under the purple paint and I suspect if the paint was gloss all the ripples wil show up.

Check out the rear wing just behind the door where the coke bottle kick up starts

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 646
Posted on Tuesday, 12 September, 2006 - 11:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

Getting paint to adhere to tyre rubber is easy as I found out when I did my first respray many years ago - I didn't cover the tyres thinking the acrylic overspray would be easy to remove afterwards - big mistake that was only rectified when the tyres eventually wore out and were replaced.

The problem with getting paint to adhere to stainless steel [and chrome plating] is the very thin Chromium oxide film on the surface which forms very quickly when fresh metal is exposed to oxygen from the air - the rougher the finish; the greater is the chance of getting the paint to adhere. Mirror-finished surfaces give little or no adhesion unless etched first.

I suspect the car may have been painted with primer/filler which had not been "flatted" and had not received its final colour coats when displayed.