Silver Shadow A/C question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Silver Shadow A/C question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Aravanis
New User
Username: krug300

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 07:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I bought my Shadow (SRH 8685) a year ago, the compressor would not engage. When the (empty) system was charged the A/C was ice cold. During the past winter I engaged the compressor a few times. Today was the first warm day here in Athens, and the A/C was barely producing cold air. Obviously a slow leak somewhere. The local A/C shop told me that there are no parts for this compressor. Any ideas as to where to locate parts for these Frigidaire units?
John

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 421
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

You will probably have to go to the UK or the USA for parts - I would get the compressor model number and then use "google" or whatever search engine you use to track down suppliers.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like the compressor is fine if the A/C was ice cold after a charge. Its probably the hoses where they connect to their fittings. First find the leak, then you'd have to take off the hoses to have them reproduced by keeping the fittings, and connecting them to new rubber, etc.

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 14:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John;

I believe your unit is/was made by AC Delco. I would suggest you email them through the website and ask for help in Greece. http://www.acdelco.com. You should be able to get the parts from anyone of many large US Parts Depots. Problem will be who ships oversees. I am not certain but would believe that your model compressor will be the same as used on some if not many GM cars. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable on the forum will have that answer.

Further to Larry’s comments. He is correct that more than likely it is lines but with lack of use I have known of both compressors and evaporators to develop leaks. Normally what I would do (at least here in States) is take car to A/C expert. They can pump down the system and only put a small amount of Freon with dye back into the system. This way the leak can be traced. Also assuming you are still on the old stuff less fear of damage to the environment. Once you have found the leak/s, my luck more likely to be multiple leaks then you may want to consider conversion to more environmentally friendly refrigerant. Many other makes of cars have and do use the GM – AC Delco system so there should be some experts in your area.

Best of luck,
Bill

John Aravanis
New User
Username: krug300

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The compressor is a GM/Frigidaire unit. Found one (reconditioned) on e-bay for $105.00. 73 euros...wow. I pay 80 for a charge of R12.
But as you say, it could be a hose or elsewhere. Will try to locate the leak with a partial charge-although the system is partially charged, the clutch has not cut due to lack of pressure.
John

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 652
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check the suction throttle valve as they are known to leak. You can have them repaired, a kit is quite cheap, or remove it and cycle the clutch as per the attached factory bulletin.

Your compressor should run continuously, and not cycle, if it still has the suction throttle valve.

Unfortunately, I bought an exchange unit three years ago before I had heard of the modification.

application/pdf
Suction Throttle Valve.pdf (33.6 k)
application/pdf
Suction Throttle Valve 2.pdf (33.6 k)
application/pdf
Suction Throttle Valve 3.pdf (20.0 k)