Early Bentley T Engine No Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Early Bentley T Engine No « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Rothwell (144.137.246.34)
Posted on Friday, 29 March, 2002 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have an early T type, so far the only engine number I have been able to find is SY69. This is stamped at the top centre of the block, under the aircon compressor. I have been told that the engine number should be the same as the chassis number, but it is not in this case. Am I looking in the wrong place? If not, what does this number stand for? My 4 speed auto gearbox number also starts with SY, is this normal?

Robert Chapman (202.161.105.44)
Posted on Saturday, 30 March, 2002 - 15:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The SY69 number you refered to is the engine serial number (SY denotes short stroke engine 6.250 and SYL denotes long stroke engine 6.750) The engine number you need is stamped on a small flat surface on the l/hand side front of the cylinder block below oil filler housing.

Jon Rothwell (203.10.1.28)
Posted on Saturday, 06 April, 2002 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eventually I found what I think is the engine number. It is stamped on a flat casting underneath the right hand side of the motor, between the coolant drain tap and the starter motor. It is only visible from directly underneath the car. I actually had the oil filler housing and power steering pump off a while ago and no number was visible. I've searched the rest of the motor from all angles with torches and mirrors but have only found the two numbers so far. Naturally the second number I've found does not match anything else on the car, nor does it match any number I would expect to find. The number is UE33374. I'm starting to think that this car is a bit of an oddball, or at least that being an early car it is not as standardised as later models. Any information on the engine numbering systems would be appreciated.

Robin Hickman (203.173.166.169)
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2002 - 18:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The UE.... number is a Rolls-Royce spare parts type number - perhaps your car has had a factory replacement engine.I cant find part number UE33375, but part number UE33373 is the part number for the crankase assembly.
You should check the chassis number of the car which is on a cast plate on the firewall on the passenger side. If for instance your car was a 1967 'T' series, then its chassis number would be in the range SBH1975 to SBH3400, approximately. Say for instance the chassis no of your car was SBH2345, then its original engine number would have been 2345.

Robin Hickman (203.173.166.169)
Posted on Sunday, 07 April, 2002 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, I should have checked my email more carefully. Part number UE33374 is the part number for the crankase.

Robert Chapman (202.161.104.160)
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2002 - 00:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The engine number should be on the left hand front (B Bank)corner of the engine block visible from above.Email me my your fax number and I will send you a picture of it taken from the workshop manual.

Jon Rothwell (203.10.1.26)
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2002 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robin, I have the chassis number on a build plate on the firewall, it is 1066. I expected the engine number to match this.
Robert I will log onto your site and email you my fax number, at this stage I am at a loss as to the location of the engine number as I have now spent several hours degreasing and inspecting the motor but to no avail. I've spent many years restoring lesser cars and usually I don't have any trouble finding numbers.

Jon Rothwell (144.137.246.95)
Posted on Sunday, 07 July, 2002 - 12:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a look at a later Shadow recently, and the engine number on that was exactly where you said it would be. My engine does not even have the casting for the number to be stamped on. In fact the top of the later block looks very slightly different from mine. As mine is a very early T1 is it possible that SY69 is the correct number after all (assuming that this number means the 69th short stroke Shadow engine built)? Or did some of the very early Shadow engines have the number in a more obscure location like the V12 Jags?

Jon Rothwell
Posted on Thursday, 17 April, 2003 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just an update on my prior post. I recently re-registered my T1 which was an English import last registered in Canberra. The only engine number the examiner was able to find was SY69, which was acceptable to the police dept as it was stamped on the block.

Bill Coburn
Posted on Thursday, 17 April, 2003 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The next step for me would be to send money to the Royce Foundation and get a copy of the build sheets that should settle the mystery

Jon Rothwell
Posted on Friday, 18 April, 2003 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I got the build papers about a week before having the car inspected, they show that SY69 was the motor fitted as well as confirming the body number etc. I offered to supply these if required but as SY69 was a unique number (for a Rolls Royce)it was acceptable.