Shadow 1 exhaust manifold n/s Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Shadow 1 exhaust manifold n/s « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

kevin steel
Frequent User
Username: kevin_steel

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 04 March, 2005 - 15:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi guys
have a problem with my shadow, and that is the near side exhaust manifold has cracked and it has been welded before but cracked again in the heat affected zone,maybe it should have been stress relieved after,anyway has anyone any ideas on a second hand one or a replacement part please and aprrox cost,many thanks guys kev

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, 04 March, 2005 - 17:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Kevin. Could you please advise your location, since these items can be difficult to "ship" (possibly "postable") but nevertheless, disproportionately expensive to overseas locations. I have both used and brand new factory issue manifolds, the latter which I (as a fellow owner/enthusiast;SS1) will offer for under dealer list price due to your cordiality. Not suprisingly, it is the left side (SS1 and SS11/Spirit) that I sell most of, due to cracks emanating from the heat riser area and after 30 years of being captive to a hostile environment, are understandably brittle. I reiterate my concern re transit/postage costs if you are outside of Australia, but would attempt to negotiate the best possible outcome for you.

kevin steel
Frequent User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 04 March, 2005 - 17:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi john
i have a shadow 1 and im located in camden area nsw ,i was looking on the flying spares web site plus shipping can be expensive for the manifold vehicle is srh13720 which im slowly getting back to mechanical condition regards kev

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, 04 March, 2005 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,you do not necessaraly have to buy a new one as JD dare has implied.
I have repaired many over the years from different makes of cars.
If you are interested in going down this route i will do a posting of the proceedure.

(Message edited by david_gore on March 05, 2005)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin,

This is a common problem and in the worst case leads to complete separation of the front and rear sections of the manifold usually near the 3rd cylinder from the front - This is for early cars with the front offtake; later cars used a centre off-take and as far as I am aware do not have anywhere near the number of cracking problems. Pat/Robert your opinions please?

My suspicion is the cracking is asociated with failure to follow the recommended service procedure of regular re-torqueing the manifold bolts - the differential expansion of the cast-iron manifold vis-a-vis the aluminium head had to be controlled by bolt torque locking the manifold to the head - allow this "lock" to fail and the expansion will cause localised stress concentrations resulting in cracking.

I agree with Pat that a proper competent welding job will extend the life of the manifold considerably but will not compensate for a lack of maintenance. The manifold does warp in service even if it is not cracked and has to be checked for flange flatness and surface ground as necessary before installation.

John Dare
Grand Master

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I feel obliged to point out that I did not IMPLY that Mr. Steel NEEDED to buy a new (or used) manifold. I simply responded to HIS request, quote - "has anyone any ideas on a secondhand one or replacement part". In view of his courtesy, I intend to quote him very attractive prices for either used (good condition) or brand new, whichever he prefers, simply responding to him in the same manner that I afford to all people of similar disposition. I should add that I have also sold many "rams horn" type manifolds for "S2/3" V8 engines, where, due to their age (40+ years) the cast iron has become brittle. I dont know the metallurgical term (crystallized?) but basically the part has exceeded its intended service "life". In short, they have "worn out" and any amount of "patch-quilt" welding usually produces a "band aid" result that would challenge the works of Salvador Dali. The fact that exh. manifolds have been reproduced in the UK for the even older "B60" engines, acknowledges the reality that no part "lasts" forever.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 404
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Embrittlement" is the correct term and it is not usually a serious problem for the technically competent repairer as there are recognised well-proven techniques for repairing most ferrous/non-ferrous/composite materials showing this characteristic.

Reclamation that extends the service life of a component is a bugbear to those who only wish to sell replacement items at higher cost - the sole consideration that is relevant is determining the point at which it is more approriate to replace rather than reclaim.

John Dare
Grand Master

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 16:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That was the other word I was looking for and although not appearing in Chambers Technical Dictionary, I did get a lead in The Concise Oxford: Embrittle; "make brittle". Thence to Brittle; "apt to break, fragile". Rather than attempt to repair a FRAGILE part PRONE to FURTHER breakage (at some OTHER point) I suspect that Mr Steel may be better off with new iron and based upon his e' mail to me (reply pending) I believe that he has made the correct decision. If he were intending to sell his car as opposed to his indicated desire to slowly restore it, I would probably have suggested a repair (if possible) as I dont have that many new manifolds remaining. Like all prices they tend to go up rather than down and I have them for "S" series cars, Shadow 1 & 2 (fit Corniche too) incl.Spirit, for both a & b banks. Once they are gone then I imagine dealer/international prices will prevail, which is why I have put a set aside for my own car. The same part/s for the ageing "B60" engines are now so expensive that I have decided to eventually fit a custom header/"extractor" type system (to the "R" Type) which whilst not original, will be economically viable and potentially more efficient as a bonus.

kevin steel
Frequent User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 07 March, 2005 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi guys,
i have decided on a replacement manifold if i can get my hands on one at a reasonable cost,do u know anyone who has one and if so would they please contact me many thanks kev
ks737@ozemail.com.au