Final drive gear oil shadow II and ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Final drive gear oil shadow II and Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RODNEY PEACH
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 25 February, 2005 - 03:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,
I have just bought some Castrol Hypoy 90 LS to change the final drive oils but in my manuals it says castrol hypoy ep 90 ,hypoy B ep 90, or hypoy c, the one I have bought should be o.k ?
for both my shadow and spirit what do you think guys? or is there some difference
Regards rodney

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, 25 February, 2005 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a mainstream, top quality straight mineral oil designed for limited slip diffs (hence the brand name LS). It is fine for all Hypoid applications. I must say I do prefer multigrades, but it is a very fine point. Note that neither of your cars needs LS, but it's largely irrelevant.

In truth, all being equal the rear axle lubricant is not critical so long as it is there and topped up.

Having said that, in these particular cars if the final drive is noisy, I would definitely use a mineral oil such as the one you quote until it becomes silent. If it is quiet, or when it becomes quiet with age as most seem to, I would immediately switch to a mainstream synthetic, preferably Mobil 1 multigrade hypoid gear oil to keep it that way forever.

By the same token, a noisy final drive will probably stay that way with synthetic oil as the superior lubrication gives it no chance of sorting itself out.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, 25 February, 2005 - 05:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting. I have always understood that limited slip oils are the very best for this department and I always use Castrol as a matter of habit. Interesting snippet on LS oils apparently a very desirable ingredient comes from whale blubber which understandably is now not readily available. The synthetic replacement is reportedly not quite as good. Probably another bit of apochrypha.

RODNEY PEACH
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 25 February, 2005 - 05:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Richard,
So the oil I have bought should be fine ,Yes?
I just wondered if being different Ls -ep -b etc , would not do any damage in any way.
Thanks
Rodney

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, 25 February, 2005 - 05:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would follow Bill on this one.

Yes, you cannot go wrong with LS as it by nature needs to exceed all Hypoid requirements, but I do prefer full synthetic when everything is stable and quiet.

A note on Bill's blubbery comment: Dexron used to be partly whale oil too, but that is as acceptable as smoking asbestos these days. Dexron III is the premium mineral transmission fluid, but if your wallet is bulging, the fully-synthetic Castrol Transmax Z is the go.