Operating temperatures Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Operating temperatures « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Siddhartha Niyogi
Posted on Wednesday, 02 May, 2001 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1974 SS, and am always worried about the car overheating (I live in Dallas Texas USA) as the ambient temperatures reach over a 100 degrees Farenheit in summer. I have a temperature gauge installed and have tried reading the engine block temperatures. In 75 F weather the car stablilizes at around 230 F. Is this the usual temperature? What is the maximum I can go to without causing the buzzer to go off?

I would really appreciate some info.

Thanks
Siddhartha

Richard Treacy
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2001 - 21:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This sounds too hot to me. I would expect a maximum temperature of around 180F under worst conditions, but am prepared to be corrected. The temperature should never exceed 200F as far as I know. The buzzer should sound around 215F.

I am really scared of overheating any engine, especially these alloy V8s which can easily be terminally damaged by heat. I strongly recommend a new GENUINE thermostat as a precaution in any case. Other makes do not have the correct bypass arrangement, and the fusible links in the R-R units offer some protection in case of failure at least. They cost around $30, so it is a very cheap insurance.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Posted on Friday, 04 May, 2001 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just looked up my data and stand corrected: the thermostat starts to open at 180F, and should be fully open by 212F, so normal running should not exceed 205F allowing for extremes and spare cooling capacity. I would be happier if it never exceeds 190F. The thermostat fusible links melt at 255F, by when the buzzer should be well and truly buzzing. It is just possible your gauge is inaccurate (faulty sender??), but I would err with extreme caution if it reads 230F at any time. My Turbo R has the exact same thermostat (I replaced the old one even though it was OK), and never ventures past the first third of the "normal" range on the gauge even under extremes (flat out on the Autobahn în stinking hot weather or sitting in traffic).

RT.

bob (62.7.120.93)
Posted on Monday, 13 May, 2002 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

a tip for any water cooled car. If the heater blows cold when it should hot it may mean that the cooling system is malfunctioning. This is easy to check while driving. water cooled cars run at between 85c and 90c. With cars that have a water blended heater system turn the heater on flat out will increase the cooling capacity of the car. Shads use a water valve--just tip