Ignition system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Ignition system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Debbie Saville
Posted on Sunday, 22 April, 2001 - 16:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We noticed an ad in the PRAECLARVM magazine about the installation of new solid state ignition systems in pre-war and post-war Rolls Royce and Bentley cars without making any alterations to the original distributor. This is a company called Petronix Inc. Rolls Royce and Bentley Electronic Conversion Systems. Has anyone tried this on a Cloud 1 and if so with what success?
and expence?
Regards
Debbie Saville

Martin Cutler
Posted on Monday, 23 April, 2001 - 11:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Debbie,

I play around a fair bit with old Italian motorbikes, and these generally respond greatly to modern electronic ignition systems for the following reasons:

a) The original ignition systems left a lot to be desired in terms of reliability
b) Most of the wiring turned to Spagetti years ago
c) Lots of performance enhancement from being able to programme in Advance curves which suit the cams/carbs, etc.

The main advantages have been in reliability, and getting rid of the points in favour of electronic pickups which are much more accurate. Also gone are the bob weights and springs, so the advance curve can be programmed in.

Ignition systems on a bike are much more critical as they are exposed to the weather, and, being higher compression motors, any pinging can result in melted pistons in a bit hurry, (don't ask me how I know!)

With regards to adapting the same type of system to your Rolls, unless your current system is unreliable, or you want to race the car, and extract maximum performance out of the engine, I think your are better off leaving it alone. My personal opinion, which is worth about as much as you paid for it.

Marty

Charles Rhoden USA
Posted on Monday, 07 April, 2003 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Debbie,

I installed the Petronix system on my 1960 SCII with no modifications whatsoever. It's extremely nice; the car starts immediately, runs great, and gets better fuel mileage. I'm very happy with it.
I saved all of the bits I removed so I can put it back totally original when/if desired.