Air Conditioning Performance Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Air Conditioning Performance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 489
Posted on Sunday, 12 July, 2015 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I conducted a driving-time experiment today: what is the performance of the air conditioning in a modern vehicle? How does it compare to what I have seen so far in my 1970 Silver Shadow after conversion to R134a?
The vehicle of choice was my 2012 GMC pickup, which I consider to have an air conditioning system which performs well. I inserted my air conditioning thermometer in one of the vents and kept an eye on it while driving today.
I was somewhat surprised: typically, with today's outdoor ambient of 90 to 91F, the outlet temp seemed to be controlling around 60 to 65 F with a fairly high but not max blower speed. The lowest temp I saw was about 54F. It's an automatic system so it controls the fan speed as well as the temperature. I don't know exactly how it controls, but maybe the Shadow is doing pretty well with a vent temp of 60F at idle with an electric fan in front of the "Parthenon". I know it was throwing down some condensate: it was humid when I was testing it, and I had the two front windows open. There was a pretty nice puddle underneath in a short time. I know the evaporator was clean on the outside because I saw it when I repaired the heater core and flap bushings.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, 13 July, 2015 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would say 90 to 60 is a 30f drop. Which sounds about right.

I dont think its going to get any better on 134a.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2015 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

That seems a bit warm to me. I'll do some actual checking on my other cars if it gets hot enough today.

My Cadillac, which is an R12 system, can churn out 48°F/9°C air when the temperature is in the 90s (this is after a system recharge a couple of weeks ago). My Buick, my partner's truck, and SRH33576 all seem to do even better than that, just by feel, and they're all R134a.

I think today's supposed to remain on the coolish side here, but it won't be more than a day or two until we're at or very near 90°F/32°C and humid. I'll report back once I can get readings.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Wednesday, 15 July, 2015 - 05:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

As another data point, my '96 Buick Roadmaster was able to put out air at 53°F with ambient temperature of 87°F. The system is R134a.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, 15 July, 2015 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I ran my thermometer test on my 2008 Ford Taurus company car today: it was putting out air from about 55F to 60F, usually near or at 60. The ambient is about 90f.
As I consider its performance to be sufficient also, I am going to take the Shadow out for an on-road test. It may be fine as it is.
I am expecting a parallel-flow condenser this week and I hope to install it in the Wraith as part of its ac rehab.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: