The work bench. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » The work bench. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Experienced User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, 03 June, 2015 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A sturdy work bench is essential.
I built mine from 4x2 and 8x2 construction wood probably Douglas pine. No fancy joints just 8mm threaded rod and penny washers and washers with barbs that dig in the wood and lock up. The bench is bolted to a concrete block wall and the legs go 2 " into the floor. Creosote first though.
The bench is surfaced in 3mm hard board which is replaceable. Just tacked.

The vice should be as big as you can afford. Small things can gripped in a big vice but not thd other way round. I have a big Record vice that is big enough to hold a small engine in.

The jaw height for the floor is elbow hieght. This gives horizontal elbow arm action when working.

I have a second smaller vice at the other end.

I am careful with vice jaws. A clean sharp corner on jaws is very useful.

Also a 3 legged stool.

Also I have a sturdy wood table 30" x 60" which is very useful when put next to the car. Somewhere to lay spanners and bits out, within easy reach of the car. I don't put stuff on the floor. I seen too many mishaps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: