Parking Distance Control; Aftermarket Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Parking Distance Control; Aftermarket « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, 04 February, 2005 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This might be yesterdays (or even last years!)"news", however I have heard that aftermarket "generic" PDC units are available for a range of vehicles. These might be of interest to early Shadow owners, due to the rather vulnerable "chrome" bumpers as opposed to the later and more purposeful SS11 versions. Also said to be available, are electric seat heater cushion "membranes" which can be fitted (presumably by your friendly trimmer) underneath your leather/velour outer "top" coverings. I can visualize some installation problems with the PDC (on SS1 etc) however I will attempt to obtain more information.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, 04 February, 2005 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have had one on my Turbo R for five years now. It's a Bosch Park Pilot, and has a visual and audible readout. It connects to the reverse lamps so it doesn't annoy you unless you are reversing, and the visual readout is mounted in front of the stop lamp on the parcel shelf: you see it in the rear view mirror and you never need to turn your neck again when parking. It is available at any Bosch outlet and is not expensive. It is easy to fit: just four sensors, a control box and the small, neat display.

http://aa.bosch.de/advastaboschaa/Category.jsp?publication=1&flash=true&ccat_id=23&&language=en-GB

http://aa.bosch.de/advastaboschaa/Category.jsp?ccat_id=23&language=de-DE&publication=1&flash=true

The Bosch agent didn't want to sell it to me as there is no R-R/B listing, and stamped the invoice "Unsuitable for this vehicle". Good old disclaimer ! The only difference between sensors for different car types is a calibration resistor. I bought the kit for a 1990 S-Class Mercedes-Benz and it works perfectly. I did make up a trimpot to plug in to calibrate the device but it was unnecessary. It's ideal in parking stations, where you can safely reverse park to within 10cm of the wall.

Brilliant.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, 04 February, 2005 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 398
Posted on Saturday, 05 February, 2005 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Good stuff mate especially the location of the indicator.

Will get one for my 4WD waggon to avoid impaling parked cars with the towbar tongue. I may need the trimpot though; can you remember what rating you used to save me having to work it out from the circuitry.

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, 05 February, 2005 - 14:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Gentlemen. Certainly a practical and effective indicator position as above, but I remain unclear regarding the location of the actual sensors. Those I see fitted to what I might call "modern" cars, appear to be fitted flush upon the moulded plastic (typically) rear "bumper" panel, being the rearmost physical extremity of the vehicle. In the case say of a 66-76 Shadow, with its expensive bumpers (real ones) representing that extremity, would the sensors, in theory, have to be set into the "rearmost" located overiders/bumperettes?. Or am I misunderstanding the operational process of these useful devices?. Also, are you able to have range sensors at the front of the vehicle in addition to the rear?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 555
Posted on Sunday, 06 February, 2005 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While I was trying the system out, I mounted the sensors as shown below. After a short trial I repositioned them invisibly onto the bumpers, which required some holes to be drilled. However, simple plastic brackets like these look fine as sensor mounts, and would work properly on a Silver Shadow. It is quite OK to paint over the sensors.

For David: the calibration resistor is mounted in a standard Littel automotive fuse plug unit. It simply plugs into a socket attached to wires from the ECU. Use a 10k mini trimpot and a Littel fuse with the link removed, park the car 10CM from a wall, and trim the potentiometer until the sensor indicates that you are parked. Once set, you may leave it or make up a Littel plug with a fixed resistor of the nearest value. As noted, with the resistor meant for a 1992 S-Class, mine was spot on.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 556
Posted on Sunday, 06 February, 2005 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

JD: you mentioned front sensors. They are available too.

I had a large car in 1998 with front and rear parking sensors. The front ones become active below 5 km/h when a forward gear range is selected. I hated them. Whenever you are at the traffic lights, pedestrians passing in front send them off.

What's more, it had 8 sensors and 4 readouts, 2 front and 2 rear. I far prefer the simplicity of the system I have on my B, and it loses nothing in terms of information.

The rear sensors are essential, but the front ones are just a nuisance. Most mid-range cars nowadays have park sensors at the rear, but the front ones are less common than a few years back.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, 06 February, 2005 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well what a splendid idea,i must get some fitted to my old hack CX 2.5 turbo 2 as the thing settles when parked.
Has been known to collect a parked car behind on to the tow hitch and lift it up with the manoeuvers!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, 07 February, 2005 - 14:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard