Fans Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Fans « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RCBrooks
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.219.243.3
Posted on Sunday, 19 September, 2004 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the story of three fans:
Many years ago, I installed a 283 cu inch engine in a Bristol 404 roadster when the original 122 cu inch engine blew up. I also installed a sloping Nash radiator. I had no room for a fan, but since this was a racing car I felt I didn't need one. I was right. I even made one trip from New Mexico to New York without overheating.
The second was a 318 cu inch Dodge truck. I bought it new in Tacoma, Washington in the spring and had the dealer install factory air conditioning. I didn't realize that he neglected to install the factory heavy duty radiator that came with the AC. The first trip I made, from New Mexico to Guadalajara, Mex, the truck overheated badly in traffic. I finally cured this problem by installing a 24 inch electric fan which drew 30 amps; that is 1/2 hp.
The third is my 1980 SWII which started overheating in the 110F temp we have for several months here in the Mojave desert. I replaced the fan clutch and rewired th wimpy electric fan to run continuously. No help. When I replaced the thermostat. all the plugs had melted. The final solution was: recore the radiator with a heavy duty core that was meant for a school bus, use a coolant which is 20% EG, 80% distilled water and add a pint of Red Line Oil "Water Wetter". The water temp runs halfway on the gauge regardless of traffic, hills or ambient temperatiure.
Conclusion: You must have a big enough radiator; Electric fans are useless unless very large and powerful and Water Wetter helps plus reduce the EG to 20%.
Cheers
Ralph, 1980 SWII

(Message approved by david_gore)