SCII engine help please Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » SCII engine help please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

L.K. Alderman
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.12.116.142
Posted on Wednesday, 01 September, 2004 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I tried posting this note the other day, but apparently it didn't make it. Please bear with me if you've already seen this. I'll be brief. I have a 1960 SCII (SVB371) Starts fine, runs smooth, cool, smoke free. Fine for normal driving, but runs like crap under a load. Up my long, uphill driveway, it acts like it's running on 5 cylinders. No power...lugging...nothing like it's supposed to be. PART of the problem seems to be a reluctance to downshift when it should. It's in too tall a gear for the load, speed, and pedal position. I manually shift it from 4 to 3 and it helps...some...but it's not correct I can tell you. I'm spoiled by the silky smooth SCI 6 cyl I had for 10 years, and this current V8 isn't half the engine that 6 was (my opinion...)Of course, if it were running correctly, I may have to modify my opinion here!! These engines aren't complex enough for it to be anything major, so I am assuming it's timing, ignition, or carb related. I'll tear into it if anyone cares to offer their advice before I start.Clue: It makes a backfire thru one of the carbs if you tromp the gas pedal under load. Makes a "cchhhhhhh" cough like. I don't want to drive the car because I just don't trust the way it's running under a load.I've had the car since 91' and driven it less than 500 miles. It's going to waste in storage, and time is here to fix it and drive it like it deserves to be. I've worked on cars, bikes, and airplanes over the years, so I know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Any advice will be MOST appreciated. I'm just not overly familiar with these V8's and prefer some wisdom and advice from those in the know before I begin the diagnostic and fix. Thanks to all. Les in Ohio, USA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Vatter
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.158.14.91
Posted on Wednesday, 01 September, 2004 - 12:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Les,
People are responding to your other post topic RR V8 - engine.

Silly minimum word count rule. Silly silly silly.