Blue Wheels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Blue Wheels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 670
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, Job started.

I managed to borrow some Castrol R30TP from a reluctant motor restorer, and mixed it with Sonax DOT4 brake fluid. Two mixes: one 10% and the other 20% Castrol R by volume. It seemed to mix instantly with virtually no encouragement, but be wary of course.

As a viscosity test, I used a self-fabricated funnel of 10cm x 10cm at 45 Degrees with a 3mm hole in the bottom.

As I have no RR363 on hand for a week or so, the test is comparative and preliminary only. However, if the mix is stable the results look indicatively positive.

The drainage times for 200ml were 58 seconds for DOT4, 64 sconds for 10% and 77 seconds for 20% Castrol R 30. Pure Castrol R took over 4 minutes.

My guess right now is that 15% will be fine, but watch this space.

So, in my old fridge in the cellar, the two sets of two concoctions (one pair at -10C, one pair at 2C) will need to stand for some time to display stability unless someone else can save me the trouble.

RT.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,what was the ambiance temp at the time.
Also are you carrying out the same test at say -5c. and then with the 363.
will you be putting any other additives in if it is to thick!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Um. It's not a lab. The room temperature in my home is 23C +/-2C. I shall do all the preliminary evaluations at room temperature first. If RR363 looks in line, I shall do some very carefully regulated tests you can be assured. The funnel I used yesterday is for relative empirical evaluation, but a good start I suggest.

The guy who sold me the Casrtol R on Wednesday was a very perculiar person by the way.

RT.

Harry Kuurio
Experienced User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RT,

Valuable first hand knowledge & work. Keep at it, if only you can (and why not?)!

I must say that I'm most disappointed with Castrol. The lenghts they put people thru just to cover their margins... sad.

"There's no such thing as bad publicity" goes an old, well proven saying.

Well, it's proven wrong now. Castrol's ignorance reminds me what GM is doing to Saab (ref. re-badged Subaru), Ford to Jaguar (upgrading Mondeos to X-types etc.) and DC to MB (MB's don't "make" even a taxi nowadays and the shapes are forced 60's/70's Jag...).

What a joke.

OK, enough on Castrol now. Maybe there's a reason for all this. Maybe they tell it some day...

DH

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry,
There is one, and only one reason for nearly every business decision in todays world of spin-doctored 'economic rationalism' based on the US consumer/business model that now pervades every corner of the Globe...one reason: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
True old-fashioned service to customers doesn't exist any more, and any service doesn't unless there's a healthy profit in it...it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GN.

Miguel A. Garcia
Experienced User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Harry, may be in our EU laws would be a right for consumers of a MONOPOLED item....I am sure that by this way we could force to Castro to sell us this RR363 directly in our countries. This is not free market as we are FORCED to use this stuff JUST from CASTROL. No other chance from other brands are possible.
Any lawyer in the forum?
Richard: GOOD JOB!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 17:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You could try a x contributor who used this and other forums as it is believed he has contact within his workplace of such.
DARE J G Pty Ltd.
112 Oak St
Beaumaris 3193
Victoria,
Au. Tel [03]9589 1516.
If you do a world search on this X contributor it is stated someting about telling all cyclists to ride in the gutter!
For your interest Miguel!

(Message edited by david_gore on March 27, 2005)