SWII Elecrical Problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » SWII Elecrical Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ralph Brooks
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.219.241.167
Posted on Monday, 03 May, 2004 - 15:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks to all who responded to my cry for help. The solution turned out to be a questionable connection to the A/C relay which is also the gas door connection. Said relay was replaced 3 years ago by a R-R dealer in a neighboring state for $500.00. The relay hides next to the right fender UNDER the A/C duct from the fan to the evaporator. This duct had obviously not been removed to replace the relay. I can see why they didn't bother; it's a bitch. Half hour to remove and 2 hours to replace. Anyway, once the pink and brown wire had been removed and replaced firmly, all my problems went away: the fans turned off with the ignition switch and the battery drain went down to 30 ma, Special thanks to Chris and Mark at Albers who talked me through the problem.
I also received LOTS of bad advice e.g.. replace the battery and, where I drew the line, replace the ignition switch and A/C function switch.
Incidental benefits: I have a new battery, a new super multimeter with a fused 10 amp scale, an accurate resistance scale, also measures frequency, duty cycle, temperature to 1400F etc. $89.
Also an understanding of the A/C relay (lack of) logic. Of course, the gas door should be disabled while the A/C compressor and fans are on!
Cheers
Ralph SWII LRL40634
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pat Lockyer.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.131.30.102
Posted on Monday, 03 May, 2004 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for letting the problem known and pleased that all is well.
I often think if the correct or incorrect advice is given,when the problem is finally solved it is very useful for the person to let everyone know the problem as you have done.
Topic re SW11 Electrical probs