RROC(A) Tool Hire Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » RROC(A) Tool Hire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Tuesday, 21 September, 2010 - 13:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Let’s consider the possibility of an RROC(A) tool hire scheme.

To kick it all of, in this thread let’s all list the various special tools that we may consider, in three categories:

Essential – Crewe specific
Useful – Crewe specific and unusual generic
Nice to have

For a start, Consider postwar cars:

Essential:
Suspension spring compressor (SY/SZ/Arnage)
Ball joint tools – spanners and joint breakers (SY/SZ/Arnage)
Brake pump tools (SY/SZ)
Steering rack spool valve tools (late SY/SZ/Arnage)
In-situ valve spring compressor (all)
Sphere opening rig (SY)
Serrated spanners (V8 crankshaft – 2 types) (SY/SZ/Arnage)

Transmission band tools (some cars have them in the original toolkit; (R/S/4spSY)
Exhaust valve guide extractor and fitting tool (MkVI/R/S)
Spark plug thread insert tool (MkVI/R/S)
Tie rod extractor puller (MkVI/R/S)

Useful
Valve stem seal fitting tool – late or upgraded seals (all)
Battery load tester (All)
Headlamp alignment rig (All)

Nice to have:
¾” drive large sockets for torus, crankshaft damper (MkVI/R/S)
puller sets (all)
Cylinder liner puller V8 (generic truck item)
Thermostat puller (MkVI/R/S)
Cylinder hone (MkVI/R/S)
Transmission pressure gauge (R/S/4spSY)
Hydraulic system pressure gauge (SY/SZ)
Aircon setup box (SY/early SZ and SZ microprocessor types)
Engine hoist (all)
High-lift garage jack (remove transmission, subframes on a hoist) (All)

Any ideas ?

RT.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, 21 September, 2010 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From the thread that seeded this one . . .

Make sure you charge a hefty deposit plus a daily charge. I found out long ago that some people seem to enjoy kicking a gifthorse in the mouth :-(

At least that way you can replace the tool if it gets damaged or goes missing, plus they will not leave it on the sideboard and 'send it off tomorrow'. (The proverbial one that never comes :-( )

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, 22 September, 2010 - 03:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As i have benefited so much from this forum, I am willing to donate one of my hefty home-made brake pump removal tools to go into the pool. Getting the tool to Australia will be a small challenge but I am sure we will overcome this between us.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Saturday, 25 September, 2010 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, thank you. It seems that your pump tool must be a lightyear ahead of the genuine ones, as I read veiled warnings all the time about the fragility of these tools. Mind you, there is no substitute for skill when it comes to using tools without damaging them. As they say, a poor workman blames his tools.

To kick it off on my part, I have come across a sudden ex-Crewe hoard of the very last genuine front suspension spring tool in the USA. New, for SY and SZ (earlier cars either don’t need one or a generic will do).

There were four sets available, and one was sold today. I last night sent a purchase order and, if all are not already sold, shall donate it to the tools pool – formal or informal be it. Fingers crossed.

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, 01 October, 2010 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone in the club know of any person in Dubai who I can give the tool to so it can be carried to Australia for use by club members?
A good bet would be a friendly Emirates Airlines pilot.
I would be happy to make contact with them in Dubai, go and see them with the tool and hopefully we can get it flown over to Australia for nothing.

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, 01 October, 2010 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, great idea, one possibility for the future, Studley Park house could be a venue to store and administer the scheme once that is all up and running.
Looking forward to further developments.
Regards
David

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, 01 October, 2010 - 10:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Sir Henry Royce Foundation might be interested in managing this scheme as a fund-raising venture to assist with the operation of Studley Park.

The would be an added benefit that anyone donating tools etc can claim a useful Australian tax deduction for the cost of the donation.

Peter Talbot
Frequent User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, 02 October, 2010 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar
Will check out my contacts with Singapore Airlines, might be able to ship as Service Freight via intermediates.
Peter

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, 16 October, 2010 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok Guys.
I may have have found a freindly pilot.
what I need to know is which airport is best: Melbourne or Sydney?
Also, when he checks in at the hotel, what should be his next step? should he pop it in the post or could someone pick it up from him?
Thanks
Omar

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Saturday, 16 October, 2010 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thank you. That is great news.

I expect that Sydney is the best location. I can pick it up in Sydney, say at the hotel sponsored by the airline. I’m in Europe for another week (back 24. October), so I could send a courier to pick it up from the Reception anytime you advise without charge to your friend.

For the greatest convenience, he may prefer to post it to me. That would cost only maybe $4, and the hotel reception would do that on the spot.

I’ll then give it to the tools custodian once one is chosen.

I have made some progress with the suspension sprng compression and retention tools by the way.

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, 16 October, 2010 - 15:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Depending on pilot schedules and flight timings we could be waiting many weeks. Let us be patient and we should have the tool in the club's hands before Christmas.
thanks
Omar

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Saturday, 16 October, 2010 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fine. I have a proposal. Once you give me a name, hotel and date, I’ll give hotel a prepaid addressed box so he can pop the tool in and leave it at reception. 500g, or 1kg to be safe, should do I suggest.

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, 16 October, 2010 - 19:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great idea Richard. I will let you know in advance when the time comes. The weight will be more toward the 1kg than 500g but that too I will detail to you in the next correspondence.

Jeff as Guest
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.249.252.148
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2010 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's evidently some special tool for removing the water pump impeller on SY cars. (It may not be that important, though: I managed without it by putting spring steel spacers* between the impeller and housing and pressing the shaft out of both of them in one go.)

-- Jeff.

* A pair of carpenter's hand saws.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, 25 October, 2010 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ok Richard,
I need a phyiscal address to send the pump spanner to. I have elected to use ordinary snail mail. It was not all that expensive.
Thanks
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, 01 November, 2010 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

tool arrived yet Richard?
Thanks
Omar

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Monday, 01 November, 2010 - 07:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not yet, Omar. I'll let yuo know.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Friday, 05 November, 2010 - 21:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Fantastic ! The tool arrived yesterday, and it is one hell of a mighty device. Bust THAT if you can anyone, and it is a beautiful piece of machining I must say.

I should be changing the pump housing O-Rings on a Turbo R shortly, so I shall check the tool out for clearances with the fuel injection and manifold.

I shall take a liberty and Thank You enormously on behalf of the Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club of Australia.

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, 06 November, 2010 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The pleasure is all mine.
I hope the tool gives the club members many satisafctory repairs.

Best Regards
Omar

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 983
Posted on Saturday, 06 November, 2010 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I support Richard's appreciation on behalf of the RROC[Australia] of your generous donation.

Thank you for furthering the cause of self-help in the world-wide R-R/B community.

Kind regards
David

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: