Steering locked Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Steering locked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

DARYL PEACE
New User
Username: bulldog51

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 05 December, 2019 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

2001 Built red label 6.75L Arnage.

Steering suddenly locked -- could barely turn the car !

Brakes pumped a few to enable it to unlock momentarily.

Local Bentley mech a bit stumped - he says there nothing on the scan tool indicates an error.

Any thoughts on where to start ?

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, 05 December, 2019 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Underneath all that plastic, I would check the power steering pump. They should have used a flow meter on the pump.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Friday, 06 December, 2019 - 14:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Daryl,
I am not familiar with the Arnage but I did have a similar vintage 2002 Azure up until 6 months ago.
Are you able to verify that your car has a power steering pump driven by the main engine pulley? mine certainly did. Now if your car is also set up with a run of the mill hydraulic power steering pump - then your problem is likely to be associated with the pump as stated by Mike. Have you checked that you have oil in it?
The scan tool will be blind to the steering system if you have a regular power steering set up.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, 06 December, 2019 - 17:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a solenoid on the rack that can fail and the result is heavy steering. I've had two Arnages in with the failed solenoid. The steering becomes heavy but not locked. Do you mean locked solid unable to turn or can turn with increased effort? If the latter I would suspect the solenoid.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

DARYL PEACE
New User
Username: bulldog51

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 10 December, 2019 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mike, Omar and Jim

Thank for the heads up - very much appreciated.

Am so glad I joined this group - the knowledge base is amazing

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: