Steering rack removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Steering rack removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robin Hall
New User
Username: bombguy54

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2013 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, you Bentley/Rolls wizards, what's the magic trick to remove the cap screws that secure the steering rack to their brackets? The Service Manual at Step 7 says to to remove them but I can't see a way, short of "modifying" the bracket to gain access. The only other way I can see is to remove the shock absorber but I don't want to go to that effort only to discover that I will not be able to swing a wrench within the confines of the bracket. Is there enough space? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2013 - 13:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you taken a look at the RROC-Australia Tee-One Topics Archive? There are a number of articles related to "all things steering rack." Removal is covered in issue 13 and somewhat tangentially in several others.

Brian

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Thursday, 11 July, 2013 - 17:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although I have always managed with a fairly ordinary ring spanner, more recently I made up a tool like the RH9122 tool from Crewe. This question mark socket bar makes the job very easy. Nothing needs to be removed to undo those bolts. I bought a cheap long 3/8" drive socket bar, heated it and bent it to shape. Below is an image of the Crewe tool RH9122 which is a 1/2" drive device:

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, 20 February, 2015 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On the Corniche, you remove the 2 front tires and you'll see the bolts of the steering rack right in front of you, perfectly reachable even with a ratchet.
Idem on a (albeit wrecked) Spirit which I saw the other day.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, 14 October, 2015 - 04:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 2x2 bolts holding the steering rack can also be seen (and accessed with lots of ratchet extensions) from the top of the engine compartment. Open the bonnet and look down, you'll see them smiling at you!
Possibly the easiest way to remove the rack. To undo the bolts is a matter of seconds with an air tool.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: