Interesting 1999 Arnage Green Label A... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Interesting 1999 Arnage Green Label Alarm ECU threads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Thursday, 23 October, 2014 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

. . . one entitled, HOORAY! Defeated the damn $1500 door alarm, and the rest of the story (such as it is) under OK Here's the story of the car alarm ringing on its own.

If the description is accurate, and I have little doubt that it is, some bright engineer haunting these forums had ought to be able to fill in the steps necessary to convince the car that the missing ECU is still there and saying everything is OK.

It seems this problem is being reported with some frequency in several quarters. There are a lot of people (myself included) who generally hate car alarms and would jump at the chance to completely eliminate that feature.

Just thought I'd point these threads out in case anyone might know, or easily be able to figure out, "the secret technique."

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, 23 October, 2014 - 15:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can imagine RR/B will want to keep this quiet on the grounds they do not wish to inform car thieves how to disable their alarm systems. I suspect the real reason is they want to keep this nice little earner (2k a pop). So I guess for the foreseeable future it will be only RR/B dealerships and car thieves who will know this secret. Similar to the way locksmiths have known about bump keys for decades.

Geoff

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Thursday, 23 October, 2014 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My jeep has an alarm module which if removed shuts out the ecu. The alarm horn is separate so I unplugged it, to stop its habit of going off whenever.

I suspect that if a couple of terminals on the module plug were shorted out the ecu would work.
A colleague took the fob off a key and cable tied it to the lock inside the column covers. This fools the ecu into thinking that the key is in the ignition so it doesn't set the alarm.

I hate alarms. Every time an alarm goes off people complain and most times it's an error.

My lady has the alarm option and the lpg control has an off position.

To bypass them is never impossible because of mass production. The alarm system is the same for many cars there once one is cracked they are all cracked.
I know guys who can plug their do dahs in and work out how no matter how deeply embedded the alarm system is.
Sometimes when they rechip a car for more power they disable alarm sub routines.

If one has a problem with modern security system the electronic chip guys are worth a call.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Friday, 24 October, 2014 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Just FYI, in this case the dealership the poster makes reference to is primarily a repair operation with multiple locations around Nashville, TN, that also deals in used cars. I'm guessing it's their BMW background that's allowed them to work out whatever trick they're using to pull this off.

It's highly doubtful that this sort of technique would be useful to thieves since you already have to have access to the interior of the car (and more than that if you're digging for an ECU) in order to do the work. It doesn't sound like a procedure that one could do during a "smash and grab."

If I had my way there would be an "alarm delete" ordering option for any automobile that comes with one by default. I can lock my own doors, thanks, and given the number of false alarms that occur people barely ever pay any attention to a car alarm other than to state, "Whose *%$^% car alarm is going off this time!!" My now sold Jag had one of the most ridiculous "features" for a car alarm I'd ever encountered. If you had locked the car but later opened the boot/trunk using the actual key, rather than pressing the trunk-open button on the fob, the alarm would sound. Why in heaven's name would you ever design an alarm system to sound in any circumstance when the car's key was being used to open anything it can open?!! Car alarms are about as functional as a screen door on a submarine as far as I'm concerned.

In any case, I thought this might "give hope" to those who will be facing this issue at some point in the future. (Particularly if they live near Nashville, TN).

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: