Solenoid Heater Valve replacement ava... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Solenoid Heater Valve replacement availability « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2005 - 13:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The electric heater control valve or "Water Tap" on Spirits/Spurs up to 1994 is the cause of many climate control problems (insuff heat/cool).

Super expensive through Rolls Royce suppliers at an average of between $234 US (Albers) and $350 US Beverly Hills Rolls!

It turns out that it is also used in many Ferrari models like the 328 & Mondial QV. It is made by Bosch and is number 1 147 412 013.

Here is a picture:

http://www.usedferraris.net/catalog/images/DSCN3381.gif

If you need it, it can be supplied new for about $140 - $150 US from Ferrari suppliers at a savings of about $100 or more. The Ferrari part number is 61079000.

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2005 - 13:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Larry. Details of identical, alternate and more moderately priced parts are always welcome. I guess we now infer from your advice on the "Bosch" water tap, that there is a presumption that "R-R" owners are more financially endowed than "Ferrari" owners?

Gordon Norris
New User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tip Larry. I thought the heater tap looked familiar. Probably find it is used on other cars as well. I'd also just like to mention, before everyone goes rushing to their Ferrari dealer, that R-R/B do make an overhaul kit for this, Part Number CD6683. Here in oz the whole unit is around A$500 from Bentley Sydney, the overhaul kit "only" costing A$160. Whether you can use the overhaul kit depends on the internal condition of the body of the valve once you've pulled it apart. Hope this is helpful.

GN.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 15:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The reason I looked into my water valve was my insufficient heat/defrost. Both hoses going into the water valve are sort of hot, and when it comes out of the heater core, the hose is not hot at all. I've backflushed the heater core to be sure it wasn't clogged.

In response to a couple of suggestions, I've changed my thermostat. Also, I changed the heater water tap, and now have hot heat while idling, or going relatively slow. When speeding up, you can feel the heat coming out of the facia begin to get cooler. When you slow down, it gets warm again.

This also happens when holding the engine at a fast idle.

There is actually an update section in the 90-00 manual pointing out a flaw in these heater valves where the return spring keeping it open is overcome by water pressure at speed, choking off the water to the heater core. When you slow down, the pressure relaxes & the spring lets the valve open again. What is surprising is that it is occuring in a NEW heater valve, not an older one where the spring loses tension over time. This type of problem is not solvable with the kit.

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2005 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I just today got my problem with losing heat at speed by installing the heater valve service kit. The whole heater valve was new, so this was supplied by Rolls to cover the warranty.

Now that I had the box in my hand, I was able to look up the Bosch part number of the kit which is 1 147 213 007.

It turns out that our heater valve DESIGN was used in many years of Mercedes & BMW cars, but hose outlets were all different, (the only exact match was Ferrari), and some have different electrical connections.

ALL of them use the same internal electromagnet/valve. SO, the kit is identical. It is actually called the "Mono Valve Repair Kit"

Best price I found so far is $33.09 US which is about $41.77 AUD. Over $100 AUD difference. In the US, the kit is about $75 - a $40 US difference.

Here is one place where I found it:

http://www.carpartsteam.com/MB_420SEL_Climate+BControl_Mono+Valve+Repair+Kit_019.html

(Make sure the "+" signs don't change to "%2B" when you click on that link)

Here is a pic:

Mono Valve Repair Kit

Larry
tbird@consultant.com