1991 Spirit Fuel injection and bright... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1991 Spirit Fuel injection and bright work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 304
Posted on Sunday, 15 November, 2015 - 05:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two questions. Is the fuel injection on the 1991 Spirit mechanical or electronic and the bright work I have seen many scratches on the bright work. Is the bright work chrome or stainless and if its stainless is it possible to hand polish the scratches out. Also if the injection system is mechanical are the pumps and injectors a hideous price to get overhauled and just how long do they last on good fuel.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Sunday, 15 November, 2015 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I believe the system is mechanical. The non-Turbo-R cars (other than North American, Japanese, and Australian spec) from chassis 20003 used the Bosch K-Jetronic. The Turbo R used the Bosch KE2 from chassis 20001. [This is from TSD4736 within IETIS].

When you look at TSD5001, Chapter B, on the fuel injection system for 1990-1993 model years here is the key and illustration (although it shows a Turbo R I have to presume what their pointing out applies to all, since there is no separate key/illustration I can find).

Key

Illustration

Additional information about both these systems is on the pages for Silver Spirit and Bentley Mulsanne 1987-1989 Model Years
20,000-Series Supplement
. Even though they're earlier era the specific fuel injection systems carried over.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Sunday, 15 November, 2015 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Addendum: Of course, there is conflicting information between IETIS and other documentation.

The following, from TSD5069, regarding cars after chassis number 30K:

Snip from TSD5069

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, 16 November, 2015 - 02:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info Brian. I think this injection system is far too complex for my liking. Do have any info on the brightwork scratches.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, 16 November, 2015 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The brightwork is chrome on a Shadow. Except the sill trim, rad shell, grill, headlamp trims and mascot which is stainless. The plinth for the lady is chrome on brass.

Get some aluminium cooking foil crunch it up into a small ball. Using water rub the small ball on the chrome or stainless. Go in straight lines. The aluminum foil and water and rubbing action produce very fine aluminium oxide which is a good polish. Then a good chrome cleaner and wax polish.

You will not be able to make it as new but much better. So don't excessively rub the chrome. Some scratches you will be stuck with. Stainless is hard to polish scratches out. A cloth buffiing wheel is mainly used but heat is a problem.

Chrome plate is porous. Water will get through it to the substrate which should be heavy copper plate. So keep all chrome waxed. Stainless needs no such protection but car wax does give it a bit of extra sparkle.

Incidently - re chrome plating stuff.

Chose your chrome plater with care. Because there are little tricks that chrome platers use that are undetectable. The faults start to show up 3 or 4 years later.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, 16 November, 2015 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The system shown in the photo is thw K Jetronic which is hydraulic mechanical.

There is no ecu. The only electronics is the fuel pump relay.

The big bit with the pipes is the metering head. The fuel pump pumps fuel to the head. Inside is a spool valve connected to a flap by which all the air to the engine must pass. Down stream is the throttle. When the throttle opens the air passing by the flap in the metering head opens up the spool valve. Which sends more fuel to the 8 injectors which inject continously. Hence CI or constant injection moniker.
There is control pressure above the spool valve. By lowering the control pressure the the spool valve opens more. On some K Jetronic systems this is used for cold start. Other K systems have a cold start injector which sprays extra fuel when engine is cold. There is also a air by pass which has a bimetallic coil which turns a disc valve to allow in more air for fast idle.

This system is as simple as a carburettor. It looks complicated because the bits are spread out over the engine bay. Once one knows what each bit does then repair is simple and easy.

The K jetronic in its day and still is a good injection system.

Knowns faults are the fuel pump and relay.

Injector cleaner is required about every 50k miles. The best one is then system that runs the engine on a special fuel for about 30 mins at idle. Never wire brush injector spray ends.

The K Jetronic has a manual which explains in depth. Worth reading.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Monday, 16 November, 2015 - 11:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Bob's answered the chrome stuff. As for the fuel injection if your chassis number is above 30001, and I'd have to believe a 1991 model year is (or is really close to it if not - that may have been the 1992 model year debut), it does then have the Bosch Motronic electronic control.

I knew the picture was of the earlier system and based on what shows up in IETIS it appeared that might have still been in use. But, I think the information in the sales manual related to the major changes to the 30K series cars is correct since most of those changes were selling points and the cosmetic changes to the cars were very minimal.

Brian